Diopter Adjustment on E-PL1 really appreciated!

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by isabel95, Nov 13, 2010.

1. isabel95

isabel95 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Three days ago I had my first of two cataract lens implant surgeries and I can't wear my old glasses, even with the lens removed from side of the implanted eye. The second eye will not be done until November 30 and I expect to be going a bit nuts until that eye is done, the vision of both eyes settles in and I have progressive lenses made to cover the rnage that the implants can't bring into focus.

It's been frustrating to say the least not to put a camera up to my eye until I remembered that the E-PL1 has more of a + correction than my Canon dslrs. I can use the lcd by bringing the lcd up to my face and using my nearsighted eye - but the implanted eye can't see that close.

Fortunately, I was able to adjust the diopter of the E-PL1 viewfinder to see clearly with my minus 400 eye!

Ah the joys of senior citizenship!

2. isabel95

Oops - that's with the VF2 on it....

I've become so used to having it on the e-pl1 that I've forgotten the camera doesn't come with it!

3. Brianetta

Brianetta Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    North East England
    Brian Ronald
    If I had fixed lenses put in my eye, I'd want relatively near-sighted ones, I think. I'm spoiled, though; I can accommodate from infinity to about four or five centimetres with my one pair of specs on. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose that.
  4. isabel95

That's exactly what I'm having done....

I've gotten used to being very nearsighted, taking off my glasses to examine something tiny and having almost macro vision. I knew I'd be missing that, so I asked the dr. to make me as nearsighted as possible so that I could read and use the computer, at least, without glasses. I was delighted to find last night that I could read my piano music. It will be nice not to have to hold my head in a specific position to see the music. I tend to sway to and fro when I play and keeping my head at one specific angle is restricting.

My vision without glasses was minus 400 in the left eye and minus 1100 in the right eye (the one that was just done). I have a 26" monitor and have enlarged the text so I can read it with the "new" eye, but I can see I will still need reading glasses. The dr. told me that the ultimate vision will depend upon where the lens settles in the eye - it can go forward or backward, which of course affects the vision.

I've heard from other nearsighted people who've had the traditional cataract implants that adjust for distance that they were very dismayed by having to constantly have reading glasses within reach.

I'm planning on getting progressive lenses to optimize the vision after the implants settle in.

5. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    my wife had a newer type of surgery done which is basically the same as cataract surgery except the lens replaced is one that allows for both long, mid and close reading vision. She has been praising the results ever since. She has struggled with reading glasses for so long and now no longer needs any kind of glasses for anything. It wasn't cheap (about $8,200) for both eyes, but what a nice life change. I had PRK done on my eyes 2 years ago and went from having been 20/600 since age 10 to now 20/15 both eyes. As a photographer it has been a revelation. I still use reading glasses however. Oh well. Like you said it just comes with the age territory.
  6. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    It's funny to hear how camera people talk about eyes. Anyone have a good adapter for M mount to eye socket? What's the crop factor? :biggrin:
  7. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    It sucks getting old. I use to have microscope eyes. Now that my eyes don't accomodate very well anymore, it's very hard to focus in close. Even after I take off my glasses I find myself reaching to take them off again but they are already off. When will the adaptive LCD glasses finally hit the market?