1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dinner With Stacey

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by chuckgoolsbee, Jul 2, 2010.

1. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Last night my wife & I drove to down to Seattle for dinner with Stacey. Stacey is a good friend of my wife; the attended Law School together. Life has separated them by distance, but not in thoughts. A few years ago Stacey was diagnosed with cancer, and she's been undergoing difficult treatment for a long time. Stacey and her husband Mike are in town on business and we had to meet and go out to dinner. I brought along my G1 and 20mm knowing that, while we hope to see Stacey again, distance might make that impossible.

(Sue & Stacey)

(Sue & Stacey)

(Walking back to their hotel.)

I rarely shoot people, but felt compelled to snap some shots on this occasion. The light inside the restaurant was about as bad as it could get for handheld, natural light work. I shot once with the flash and just hated the result, so went back no flash.

The outside shot was taken about 9:00 PM so has that wonderful northern latitude (Seattle is at ~47° N) twilight.

Here's another:

(Sue.)

Just thought I'd share.

• Like Like x 2
  2. pdh

pdh Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 6, 2010
    ah that last one ...

3. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    The last one is excelent.

4. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Thanks for sharing, very poignant. The last one has good light and a good catch.

Cheers

Brian

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Yes, Chuck this is a very poignant story with your photos. I think that laughing one is great to have, and agree that your final shot - the one where your wife is looking towards her friend Stacey is very moving.

Thank you Chuck.

6. Muggie

Muggie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 11, 2010
    Amsterdam
    One day (perhaps already today) these will be priceless! :smile:

7. Streetshooter

Streetshooter Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    Phila, Pa USA
    Chuck, You have captured the essence of the moment.
    Very touching story both verbally and image ally...hmmm,

Muggie, you are 100% correct.

8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    You captured the essence of a beautiful, sad, happy, and essential evening. As much as its fun to try to bring our own visions into some photographs, there's no greater use of the camera than capturing key moments that will turn into lifelong memories. They'd be memories anyway, but this one will be a LOT clearer for your photos. Very well done.

And having spent many years in Seattle, the pics on the street of what has to be the Westlake Mall / 5th Avenue area make me miss the place a lot. Even the restaurant looks familiar, but it could be one of about 6-8 places, so I won't even hazard a guess.

Fine moments you had and now you'll keep.

-Ray

9. chuckgoolsbee

chuckgoolsbee Mu-43 Regular

Apr 6, 2010
    Bend, Oregon
    Thanks for the kind words folks.