Dillemma, GF1 + 20/1.7 or GX1 + Kit lens

lamlux

New to Mu-43
I have a dilemma, I can get either a GF1 body + 20/1.7 or a GX1 + kit lens for the same price, +/- $50.

Does anyone have any straight cut answers as to which would be the wiser choice?

I'm a fan of primes, and fast lenses, but does the body of the GX1 warrant me getting this first and then a lens later?

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I have a dilemma, I can get either a GF1 body + 20/1.7 or a GX1 + kit lens for the same price, +/- $50.

Does anyone have any straight cut answers as to which would be the wiser choice?

I'm a fan of primes, and fast lenses, but does the body of the GX1 warrant me getting this first and then a lens later?

Hi..I wont pick up GF1 now as its quite far behind as compared to newer MFT cameras .I would buy GX1 body seperately and either get 14 mm 2.5 prime or Panny 14-45 mm which will cost you around USD 160 second hand and its a very good kit lens .
Cheers
Bhupinder

D MATIC

Mu-43 Regular
I would say GX1. ISO performance on the GX1 is so much more improved than that of the GF1.

Also the GX1 has touch screen which I use for "touch focus" not shutter. Which I find is very useful as you can specify where your focus point will be. You can also customize the GX1 so you dont have to use the touchscreen if you dont want to.

I actually have both GF1 and GX1 and a GF2 as well. I find with the GF1/2, I dont like going beyond ISO 800. Where as with the GX1, I dont mind going to ISO 1600 and sometimes 3200.

But I think you def need to also pick up the 20mm 1.7.

InlawBiker

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Greg
If the budget is really that tight I'd get the GF-1 and the 20mm. You can find a GF-1 for $150, probably with an extra battery and a bag. There is nothing wrong with this camera.

You're going to end up with the 20mm one way or another. By this time next year it'll still be worth what you paid for it. Again, that's since the budget is so tight. You will get rid of the GF-1 eventually too, same with any camera body. But you'll lose hardly any money on it and you'll still have a keeper lens.

dhazeghi

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Dara

Not really. As you say, you're a fan of primes. The GF1 is a perfectly decent body, so unless you find one of the GX1's special features absolutely impossible to live without, I'd go for the older kit. In course you can upgrade the body. And fortunately for you, unlike lenses, they tend to drop in price fairly quickly over time!

DH

jloden

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Jay
Normally I'm all about lenses first but with this pairing there's no question for me.

I'd rather have the GX1 and pick up a prime lens or two down the road. The GX1 can do 2-3 stops better high at high ISO and has better resolution than the GF1, and it's a great camera. If you want a viewfinder down the road, the LVF2 is considerably improved over the LVF1 for the GF1 also.

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
lamlux, I went this thought process recently. But my question was simply "Is the GX1 worth the extra $150 to me?" Answer was pretty resounding yes after a little research.

Having said that, if you are going to have to wait a significant amount of time (you need to define that) to add the 20/1.7 to the GX1 then I agree with those saying go for the GF1 + 20 now. The GF1 won't lose much more value, so you can simply trade up when funds allow.

I had just a GF1 + 20 for a while and really enjoyed it.

You can also consider the GX1 + Sigma 19/2.8. That combo should be safely under $500 used. The Sigma is underrated imo, though not in same class as the 20.

lamlux

New to Mu-43
Thanks all for the great feedback!

I had a chance to use both cameras/lenses and decided to get the GX1 with the kit lens.
The 20mm f1.7 is a great lens, but compared to the kit lens of the GX1 focusing speed was reduced a bit.. so I think i'm going to just take the leap to the Panny-leica 25mm in due time. For now it seems the kit lens has me entertained for now.

I'm pretty excited to be a part of this community, I dabbled lightly before with a E-P1, but now with a GX1 I can really see the benefits of it all.

Performance at 1600 ISO is very film like, I like it alot, and the color reproduction is nice.

lamlux

New to Mu-43
Update:

I scrounge enough some cash to go ahead and pick up the 20mm f1.7 from the sale seller, i'm going to get it today. I believe $300 is a fair price..

Bhupinder2002

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Update:

I scrounge enough some cash to go ahead and pick up the 20mm f1.7 from the sale seller, i'm going to get it today. I believe $300 is a fair price..

Panny GX1 and Panny 20 mm 1.7 is a very good combination actually . I love it . There is no real life major advantages of PL25 over 20mm as such .
Cheers
Bhupinder

crsnydertx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chuck
My first foray into μ4/3 was with the GF1 + 20mm f1.7, and I now use the GX1 + 25mm f1.4. Nothing wrong with the 20, though - you'll enjoy it immensely!

D MATIC

Mu-43 Regular
Great choice. Have the same combo. Also have the 25 but cant find a reason to sell the off the 20. When I want to travel light (which is mostly all the time) the 20 is perfect. Best camera is the one with you.

crsnydertx

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Chuck
D MATIC said:
Great choice. Have the same combo. Also have the 25 but cant find a reason to sell the off the 20. When I want to travel light (which is mostly all the time) the 20 is perfect. Best camera is the one with you.

Agree completely. I still have my 20, which competes with the 14 for compact carry option.

Latest threads

Top Bottom