1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dilemna, thoughts on epm2 vs em5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by elim, Mar 26, 2013.

1. elim

elim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    California
    About to pull the trigger on jumping into mft, but am in a predicament. Both come out to about the same, so what are your guys' thoughts?

Option 1 - epm2 kit with 17mm f1.8, panny 25mm f1.4, vf2

Option 2 - omd em5 12-50mm kit with 17mm f1.8

Thoughts and suggestions?

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

2. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    Both of these kits are very capable. The choice between the two really comes down to how much you value a small size, how often you feel you'll want/need an EVF, how you feel about about using zooms v. primes and how much you value some of the key features that the E-M5 offers (e.g. weather sealing, 5-axis IBIS, etc.)

How do you plan on using the camera? What do you expect to shoot? What camera(s) are you using now?

Personally, I would lean toward the E-M5 kit. Since neither of the primes you've included are pancakes, that will somewhat minimize the size advantage of the E-PM2, which is it's primary plus. The E-PM2 is not truly "pocketable" with either of these lenses, let alone with the VF-2 attached.

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    Split the difference and get an E-PL5. I have one of them and an E-M5. As was mentioned already, the E-M5 blows away everything else with it's stabilizer.

If you want the ability to shoot in the rain, then the E-M5 and the 12-50 is your only choice.

4. elim

elim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    California
    Thank you for your response as it's helping think a little more about my decision. I am coming from a NEX 5n, which had great iq, which I value most. However I find myself needing af a lot lately due to our new puppy and casual get togethers. also, i shoot a lot of low light, indoor shots. I just tried both cams at the local store and found both cameras to be the most comfortable to use out of the other olympus offerings. I love the 5axis IS but I wont be shooting much video. In my case, it would just help with hand held low light shots, but am wondering if the epm2's IS is enough. I will eventually buy the 20mm f1.7 pancake, but it is not top priority atm.

I will be going into the store later today or tomorrow (waiting for them to bring in the silver epm2 to decide vs. The black omd, which is super sexy). Any extra advice is much appreciated!

Last but not least, I am really surprised with the mft and hope it treats me as well, if not better than the 5n

5. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    At least the 35mm equivalent lens is affordable in MFT :)

Go with the one that feels the best in your hands. One thing that neither people addressed thus far, and made a difference in my purchasing decision is the amount of controls. Having an extra dial on the E-M5 made a big difference for me.

6. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    I'm saying EM-5, too. The nicer OLED, tilting screen is nice. So are the control dials. The kit lens is a very versatile daylight lens, and the 17mm can handle all your indoors, low-light, and pet pictures.

That's what I'd do.

7. Extract0r

Extract0r Mu-43 Rookie

Jan 22, 2012
    I own both E-PM2 and E-M5.

If you only get one body, you should spend a bit more and go for the E-M5.
    E-M5 has a better IS system, built in view finder, much nicer tiltable OLED display and weather sealing.

On the other hand, E-PM2 has built in HDR bracketing mode, smaller focus points that stays on permanently in a much more compact body.

Image quality is nearly identical.

8. elim

elim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    California
    If I get the em5...I will be waaaay over my budget because I would be forced to purchase the 45mm f1.8 as well as the 17mm f.18 because of the rebate O_O

9. pictor

pictor Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 17, 2010
    At the moment, the E-M5 does not cost much more than an E-PM2 and the VF-2 together. The remaining price difference is significantly less than the difference between those two cameras. So I would buy the E-M5, unless you really want a tiny camera (although with the VF-2 on it, the E-PM2 isn't tiny anymore). I have bought my E-M5 with the 12-50mm as set, but you might be better advised to buying the body alone with those two lenses. However, I am just not sure, if 17mm and 25mm isn't too close. I would buy the 1.8/45mm instead, but that's me.

Before I decided to buy the E-M5 I wanted to buy the E-PL5 and the 1.4/25mm. However, the combination didn't feel right to me, but of course that's just me. If were you, I would try your favorite combinations, since they may feel completely different in reality than they do in your imagination.

10. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
  11. Llamaman

Llamaman New to Mu-43

Apr 20, 2012
    Normally I'd say spend the money on lenses not the body.

BUT, as you're planning on adding a EVF to the PEN, on this occasion I won't. Why pay almost the same as the EM5 for a EM5 lite with poorer IBIS and less controls (and minus the option to add the grip)?

For me, I'd get the EM5. Although I'd consider getting the 20mm instead of the 17mm if budget is an issue.

12. Llamaman

Llamaman New to Mu-43

Apr 20, 2012
    I should add that my comments are only 'on paper'. Nothing beats handling the camera (if you can) to see what works for you.

13. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Haha, yeah, I bet that's tempting. The 17 and the 45 would make a GREAT 2-lens prime kit. But I wouldn't worry about getting the 45 right now if it's not in the budget. You can get them used for about the same price as new with that rebate.

He did that and he said either would work.

The 17 is basically the same price as the 20 with the current rebate. I strongly disagree with this choice for his stated needs.

14. elim

elim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    California
    Thanks for all the replies people, this seems like a great community. The reason I would pick up these particular lens is because of the rebates. Makes the omd so enticing. I have handled both, and surprisingly the epm2 just feels so much nicer than the epl5 (the other camera I was looking at). As for the refurbished idea, it comes out to abouy $120 cheaper than new withe rebate, plus I would get the better 12-50 (do to optional macro ability and weather seal, though I wouldn't really need that)and it would be new. Something tellme I will have an em5 by the end of the day:eek:

15. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    I own both.

For a single-body system, the OMD is better. IBIS out of this world, tilting LCD, etc. (all mentioned earlier). However, I'm not wild about the 12-50mm (which I've owned), not only because its IQ isn't quite up to snuff compared to other kit lenses, but because it's really big (long), which kind of diminishes one of the main advantages of m43. For zooms, I prefer the Panny 14-45mm, which isn't weather-sealed but is IMO the best kit lens with the exception of the very expensive 12-35mm.

Does the rebate work with body only?

16. Tapper

Tapper Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2013
    I don't recommend the 17 1f.8.

I bought my Em5 the other week with 3 lenses for the rebate: 17 f1.8, 17 f2.8 and 60mm Macro. The 17 f1.8 failed to impress in any way except for being fast. I just sent it back for refund.

12-50 kit lens -- I don't get the hate. Yes, it's slow (aperture, not AF, the AF is fast as hell on it), but in every other way it's pretty good. IQ is not terrible. Super versatile, and weather sealed. Perfect for travel.

60mm Macro -- awesome. Love it. Compared to what I used before for macro (Canon 60D + 100mm Macro) this is amazing to have something so good in such a small size.

Oly 17 f2.8 -- it's not bad, and it's tiny. And with the rebate I only paid $150 brand new for it.

Still want a really fast lens, but the 17 f1.8 wasn't it for me.

17. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    Worked for me. I'm tempted to go back to this combo now. I tried a legacy 50 in the place of the 45 and it's not the same. Might even sell the 25/1.4 to fund this.

18. abl33

abl33 Mu-43 Regular

Sep 2, 2010
    I had an EP-M 1 and loved it and got some really nice results with it. I became really comfortable with the minimalist interface, and used it all the time with the 25/1.4 and the 45/1.8.

But then I got an OM-D EM5 and it was just so fantastic with both those lenses. Much easier handling. And the IBIS made handheld night shots amazing. Plus, honestly, it IS nice to have the built-in viewfinder.

19. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I disagree on the f/1.8 -- if your only criteria is sharpness I could agree. But that lens has a wonderful look to it. Explanation in my review: BLOG.ENTROPICREMNANTS.COM: What's All the Angst About: The Olympus 17mm f/1.8 Review

I have the 12mm f/2.0 which the 17mm is very similar to. The 45 f/1.8 is only really uniformly sharp wide open but I have it too, lol. The 25mm f/1.4 Pany ia GREAT as is the 75mm f/1.8 Oly.

But that 17mm is vastly underestimated for its other sterling qualities. It just "paints" beautifully IMO.

20. elim

elim Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    California
    Just got out and left with the omd 12-50kit+45+17. Hope I made the right choice, thank you all!