Dilemma - switch to oly??

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by evilnim, Jul 24, 2012.

1. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Hi all,

Firstly, although I've not posted before, I've been an avid reader of the forum for a few months and have picked up loads of helpful tips on the way - thanks!

Secondly, I'm finding myself in a bit of a dilemma. I was the proud owner of a G2 for 18 months or so, got on reasonably well with it, and eventually was persuaded to trade it in for a G3 about 7 months ago.

The G3 and I have not clicked (no pun intended) at all since purchase. I have found myself getting frustrated with the feel and handling of the camera, and am not happy with the results I've got in low light (which don't appear any better than my G2). Sure, they can be improved in LR, but not as much as I'd like. My lens line up consists of P14mm, P20mm, and P45-200mm. Planning on the Oly 45mm shortly too. I am no videographer - a primary stills man (and complete amateur). I shoot a lot of night photography and a little portrait with my P20, macro with 45-200/raynox 150, and some landscape with 14mm. Would like to do more portraits (hence 45mm).

The OM-D is pulling me...mainly the prospect of IBIS with my primes.

I know there have been reviews looking at the image quality and high ISP noise etc being similar, but my question to you all is; Have you found that the IBIS in OM-D significantly improves your ability to handhold and shoot slow shutter speeds with primes?

This is really what is drawing me, but a grand is a lot of cash to part with, and my G3 probably won't fetch much more than £250 now...

Many thanks in advance!

2. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I find the OM-D's IBIS to be really effective and I use it a lot.

Do you need a built-in viewfinder? It sounds like we have new PENs coming out in the fall. It is possible that they will retain the old PEN IBIS, rather than the improved "5-axis" stabilization that is in the E-M5, due to size. But... while not quite as impressive, I found the IBIS in my E-P3 to be very good.

3. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    Welcome!

IBIS makes a huge difference on my E-P1 and E-P3 - not exactly what you're asking I know.

4. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Yes, I do use my viewfinder much more than the LCD, unless I'm shooting high or low. This also pushes me more towards OM-D, I did wonder about the PENs though...

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    You could also wait until OM-D sales slow down, maybe after the new PEN lineup, and get a rebate/discount, or a nice pre-owned copy.

6. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    when i first jumped on the m43 wagon, i was in between the EP3 and the GX1, not knowing all the details at the time, i ditched the GX1 just because of its (for me) terrible UI. I preferred Olympus, and this was key for at the time of picking my camera, i wanted a camera that i would carry 110% of the time with me!. To "click" with your camera i think is so important, as important as IQ and stuff like that. think of it as a tool, not an object of desire. Something you need/want to use it, every day, all day, you want to grab it and take it out and shoot...now i own a OMD and i just love it. and im not gonna fall on tech specs, theres more than necessary threads in this forum around tech specs about the cameras. Both Pana and Oly are awesome cameras, just go with the one you can "click" with and that you will be sure to wear it down till it dies!. my 2cents. hope it helps. just remember that whatever you end up with you're going to be "obsolete" with whatever that will come up in 6 months form the moment you decide on one camera/model/brand.

7. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    The more I think/read about it the more I'm feeling myself move towards the OM-D. I had a quick look at one in a shop earlier on, it felt solid and most importantly felt comfortable to me.

That description of 'clicking' with the camera is exactly what I meant - I loved shooting with my G2, but much less so with the G3 for whatever reason. I think I'll give the OM-D a shot. From what I can see, the IBIS gives a reasonable advantage with unstabilised native primes over the Panasonic bodies, which is probably worth trying out. I suppose personal experience is in the end the best test!

Thanks!

8. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    If you loved shooting your G2 (as I do), you ought to add the cost of the OMD hand grip into consideration.

9. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    I'd suggest that the OP also consider a G5... a GH3 (when it comes out) or even a closeout GH2.

10. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    For me, ibis is the deciding factor between Panny and Oly. You might consider trying an E-P3 - it's a joy to shoot and considerably less expensive (particularly if you find a used copy on the forum). You can try it for awhile and wait for the price of the OM-D to drop.

11. crsnydertx

crsnydertx Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Chuck
    The friendly opposition here does not consider IBIS to be a significant selling point. After using cameras and lenses with no stabilization for most of a lifetime, I just don't see it as essential. But to each his own! :)

12. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Something is wrong here. The G3 is HUGELY better than my GF1 was in low light. I would not use the GF1 beyond ISO800, the G3 I'm good to 3200, often 6400 depending on the conditions ...

13. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    Thanks everyone for your comments.

I appreciate that IBIS is certainly not everything and hasn't been around the whole time, but as a relatively new photographer the prospect if being able to stabilise my primes even a little is definitely interesting me. I have looked at the G5 and GH2 as options, but it feels that the GH2 is more geared toward video than stills, the G5 seems remarkably similar to the G3 with incremental upgrades but possibly the same issues with handling that I face with the G3, and neither have IBIS.

I think that I want to see what Oly has to offer, possibly with a PEN if it's much cheaper than OM-D.

I was using my G2 up to 800 max 1600 with some PP, and my G3 is similar - anything over this and the quality degrades too much for my liking. I guess part of my problem (but not all) is that I often shoot handheld at night with P20mm - when I lug my tripod around it certainly improves things, but I prefer NOT to lug my tripod around, and am hoping that the oly IBIS will provide some advantage here.

Thanks again for your helpful contributions - ill let you know how my decision pans out, and hopefully contribute to some other discussions on the forum now I've broken my duck!

14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    One stop probably isn't enough to eliminate the vibration then. You should give an honest try at 3200 or 6400 before spending a bunch of money IMHO.

15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I find IBIS combined with good photographic technique is a huge boon. If your subjects are relatively static, you're getting a good 4 extra stops out of a modern IBIS system (E-M5, or Canon's better in-lens IS for example). And no matter how good ISO 3200 has gotten, if I can leave it at 400 or 800 instead, it's a no brainer for me.

16. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    I appreciate what you're saying but for me, personally IBIS is THE deciding factor. Both companies make excellent cameras with excellent image quality and I have seriously considered some of the Panny bodies but I find IBIS to be extremely useful for me. I get beautiful, sharp photos handheld with my E-P3 that I could not get with my Canon 40D even using the Canon 50mm f1.8. As you said, each to his own, but IBIS is the deal maker/breaker for me. :biggrin:

17. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    London
    I agree, unless you have Parkinson's or are a recovering alcoholic why would IS ever be an issue? Here's a radical suggestion; increase the shutter speed.

Sometimes I wonder how anyone survived in the days without IS and 6000+ ISO levels.

18. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    But there's a trade-off for that. The reality, for me, is that I can get better shots with the right exposure at lower ISOs using some form of image stabilisation.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Yes, we all shot for years without IS. As we did without AF, automatic exposure, burst modes, ISO's above 400, zoom lenses, etc. My first cameras didn't have light meters either - I used handheld meters or none at all. So why would any of those things be an issue? Well, because they all exist now and every one of them can make both the photographic experience and the results we get better. IBIS is one of those things. I have cameras with it and cameras without it. I like both. But there's no denying that the IBIS in the Pen bodies buy you a couple of stops and the IBIS in the OMD buys you a whole lot more. I wasn't truly sold on it until I found myself able to take razor sharp handheld shots at 1/3 to 1/2 of a second, which frankly astounded me.

What we did before these things existed was take photos using the best technology available at the time. IBIS is now part of that technology and an option that many of us are happy to take advantage of at least some of the time.

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  20. RevBob

RevBob Super Moderator

Jun 4, 2011
    NorthWestern PA
    Bob
    Well said! :2thumbs: