Dilemma... need help!

Erich_H

Mu-43 All-Pro
Eastern Denmark (annexed in 1658 by Sweden)
Real Name
Erik
Well... I've made my mind up... well actually more than that... I've pulled the trigger!

Firstly I discounted the fisheye... it is the cheapest lens type of the 3 (and therefore more easily obtainable without sustained saving) and also the most niche.

Secondly, I weighed up what benefits I would gain from getting either a macro or a long lens, what my first option in each lens type brings to the table and whether that benefit could be achieved in another way, then if there were any secondary benefits to the first option in each category, and finally, which would be the most fun!

I decided that the O60 macro was the way for me to go, I just love the shots that are taken with it as both a macro and as a portrait lens or short telephoto. It was the extras that I would get with the O60 that the won me over in the end, the extra focus range that I will get over my current macro setup, the short telephoto capability that I can put to good use at my daughter's dance comps (when they start up again). The zoom only really gave me more reach...but I plan to save up for the O70-300, and have already some funds towards it as I got a decent price on the O60 that I bought!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, it helped enormously in focusing my thinking to get to this point!
Just a bit sad to hear that you've dismissed the fisheye lens. And only $60 for a decent one!

It's not really a niche lens, imho.

Just think of all the fishes. Whatever would they do without them?

But I support you vehemently on the macro!

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
Just a bit sad to hear that you've dismissed the fisheye lens. It's not really a niche lens, imho.
Just think of all the fishes. Whatever would they do without them? But I support you vehemently on the macro!
I'm not dismissing it... just postponing it's position in my kit bag, and only because it the MOST niche of the 3 lens types I am looking to get, not that it is necessarily niche itself.

D

Deleted member 29285

Well... I've made my mind up... well actually more than that... I've pulled the trigger!

Firstly I discounted the fisheye... it is the cheapest lens type of the 3 (and therefore more easily obtainable without sustained saving) and also the most niche.

Secondly, I weighed up what benefits I would gain from getting either a macro or a long lens, what my first option in each lens type brings to the table and whether that benefit could be achieved in another way, then if there were any secondary benefits to the first option in each category, and finally, which would be the most fun!

I decided that the O60 macro was the way for me to go, I just love the shots that are taken with it as both a macro and as a portrait lens or short telephoto. It was the extras that I would get with the O60 that the won me over in the end, the extra focus range that I will get over my current macro setup, the short telephoto capability that I can put to good use at my daughter's dance comps (when they start up again). The zoom only really gave me more reach...but I plan to save up for the O70-300, and have already some funds towards it as I got a decent price on the O60 that I bought!

Thanks to everyone who contributed to this thread, it helped enormously in focusing my thinking to get to this point!

I think that was a good choice.
BTW, do you mean the m.zuiko 75-300mm ? If you did, I got mine, as new, for $285 US. But you may need to watch for a while.

CD77

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Chris
I think that was a good choice.
BTW, do you mean the m.zuiko 75-300mm ? If you did, I got mine, as new, for $285 US. But you may need to watch for a while.
Yes, the M.zuiko 75-300, although the zuiko 70-300 with an adapter is also an option if I get impatient.

It’s going to be a while before getting more reach becomes an option again because I’ve got to save for it and I don’t have much spare cash (my kids see to that!).

Latest threads

Top Bottom