Dilemma deciding between EP5 and EM5

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by katiedaddy, Feb 18, 2014.

1. katiedaddy

katiedaddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2014
    MD, USA
    I am sure this had been discussed million times but here it goes.
    Since Olympus is having 20% on reconditioned items (plus taxes of course) I would like to get a bigger body than my current E-PM2, and I really would like to try 5 axis IS. So my choice is between EP5 & EM5 and based on my research, aside from weather seal & built in viewfinder, EM5 doesn't seem to have any advantages over EP5. I don't like staying outside in the rain so weather seal is not a big deal, and I heard good things about VF4 and the fact I can also use it on my E-PM2 is definitely a plus. On the other hand, EP5 has 1/8000 shutter speed, has built in wifi, and I heard it focuses faster than EM5.
    Deep inside, I know EP5 is more suitable camera for me but the fact it's talked about a lot less than EM5 really makes me feel like there is something I am missing..
  2. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    E-P5 if you absolutely don't need weather sealing...:biggrin::tongue:
  3. fin azvandi

fin azvandi Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 12, 2011
    South Bend, IN
    Based on what you wrote my vote is for the E-P5. It's what I plan to pick up soon as an upgrade from my E-P3. I get the sense that one of the reasons the E-M5 is/was talked about a lot more is that many of the more active posters here are coming from a DSLR background and really want a built-in viewfinder. The E-P5 probably was priced too high at first as well. But if you don't mind the removable finder (or prefer it), then the E-P5 has some advantages over the E-M5 and it's a pretty nice looking camera to boot.
  4. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    My first general feeling about these two cameras is that on a basic level there is not a lot between them. The E-M5 was already operating at a very high level to begin and the intervening two years haven't diminished that by much at all. However, the E-P5 however definitely has some upgraded specs such as the faster shutter, wifi (now fully functional after the recent firmware upgrade), a fantastic, higher resolution and removable EVF, and a higher resolution rear screen to name a few.

Aside from the headline features, I think that the E-P5 also has some subtle differences compared to the E-M5 which make it a nicer camera to operate. When manually focusing it can be set to automatically engage the IBIS in the magnified focus assist view without needing to half press the shutter. The eye sensor of the (optional) EVF is disabled when the screen is tilted away from the camera body meaning that you can use your fingers on the touchscreen without tripping the eye sensor. During image playback you can zoom in and "flick" the image if you want to scroll across it quicker.

Aside from the lack of weather-sealing, an E-P5 equipped with a VF-4 viewfinder is the current number two in the Olympus pecking order behind the E-M1 and in front of the E-M5, but if you want the viewfinder built-in and the wether-sealing you aren't going to suffer much by choosing the E-M5 instead. I actually think that the E-M5 is slightly better to hold because of the large thumb rest and my E-M5 has slightly more effective IBIS than my E-P5.

P.S. The E-P5 is purtier lookin', too.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Agree that E-P5 sounds like the right choice for you.

Some of the advantages the E-P5 enjoys over the E-M5 are: the 1/8000s shutter speed, which I find absolutely handy in bright daylight if you want to use faster aperture; Wi-Fi with remote control, which has recently been updated to allow full menu control; improved 5-axis IBIS; and a MUCH better viewfinder in the VF-4 over the built-in one of the E-M5.

The cons are the lack of weather-sealing and the VF-4 making the E-P5 bulkier and, IMO, odd looking...

I think why it was much less talked about compared to the E-M5 when it was first launched was that it wasn't as much of a game-changer as the E-M5 was, and a lot of people felt the price point was set too high initially...
  6. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    I ended up with both.... It would be a tough choice to keep only one. But since the EP5 is the newer toy, I think I would keep it. However, I would miss the weather sealing of the EM5...
  7. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    I would vote for the EP-5, because you can use the VF-4 on your older E-PM2, plus the EP-5 has a built-in flash. The E-M5 doesn't if that's important to you if you don't want to carry an extra accessory. :smile:
  8. katiedaddy

katiedaddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2014
    MD, USA
    Thanks guys. I just pulled a trigger on EP5 silver package, now waiting game begins since it said back-ordered. :smile:
  9. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I think the PEN was a good choice given that weather-sealing was not a big deal to you katiedaddy.

I'm sitting here with both of them. I bought the E-P5 recently and fully expected to keep one and sell the other. But I honestly don't know how I'll choose. Surprisingly, I really find I like the wifi option on the E-P5. I won't use it a lot, and the newness may wear off, but it is pretty cool to put the camera on a tripod and then shoot with my iPad Mini.
  10. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    I really, really like my E-P5. I've used it now couple of days in streets of NY. Without EVF. It's easy to carry in a pocket. Great for focusing with touch screen etc etc.

However I'm coming from SLR form factor and really thinking to either get E-M10 to companion E-P5 (obvious for sharing lenses) or getting Fuji X-T1

If you are comfortable with E-PM2 (I have it also) then the obvious for you is E-P5, IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
  11. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Another one here with both. The E-P5 currently gets more use, but with bigger lenses and the grip, the E-M5 is a better option. The Pen is my travel camera; the OMD is my "I'm doing serious photography" camera! Irrational I know...
  12. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    It's a pretty hand feature, and an advantage to the E-P5 that has only existed since the firmware was updated in the last few weeks.

I still find the E-M5/E-P5 question a difficult one. Technically the E-P5 is the better camera, but despite it being a far more technically proficient reincarnation of the beautiful Pen E-P1 that I started out in Micro 4/3 with, it seems that within the last two years the E-M5 has taken over the Pen as my emotional favourite.
  13. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    I just received my E-P5 yesterday and I'm shocked at how much better if feels to my E-PM2!

Of course, there's a huge price difference :smile: , but the feel + look of the camera is so much worth!

Can't wait to test it out on my next model shoot this coming Friday!
  14. katiedaddy

katiedaddy Mu-43 Regular

Jan 31, 2014
    MD, USA
    I am actually pretty new to m4/3 system, having just bought my E-PM2 on 2/5 of this year.
    I initially bought it to experiment m4/3 system against my Canon & Fuji setups, but images I was getting from m4/3 was surprisingly good not only that focus was almost always spot on and quick. Now I am gauging between Canon & Fuji systems to see which system to place on chopping block.
  15. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    You're not missing a thing. The ep5 buzz was killed by the gx7 and em1 announcements, but that is no reflection on the capabilities of the ep5.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Though far from perfect in terms of ergonomics, being still rather too fiddly, I prefer the handling of the E-P5 to the OM-D series. That is a major factor for me. Plus it looks better and I prefer the option of a viewfinder that tilts to 90 degrees -- I take a lot of shots that way. The tilting screen enables the same process... will have to see how that pans out for me in actual usage.

The E-P5 is still tops in the features stake, unless one wants a significantly larger camera, which rather defeats the point of MFT. The WiFi is very handy, not only for remote control, but for quickly offloading images. For event journalism I can now transfer shots to my tablet and connect via WiFi or cell to anywhere.

So I just bought one for £100 off, an extra £50 discount for a (perfect) demo specimen, and with a free VF-4 through the mail-in rebate. It came in at half the price of the E-M1. I don't see how I can go wrong!
  17. boncillo

boncillo New to Mu-43

Feb 13, 2014
    And between e-p5 and e-m10, which would buy?
  18. D7k1

D7k1 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2013
    I really didn't need another camera, but the EP5 refurbished at the presidents day sale was just too good to pass up. I've been looking for almost a year to replace/supplement the EPL1 I bought when they were dirt cheap on closeout. It came down to the GX7 or the EP5. Video is important to me, but the 1080P 30 matches that of my D7100 so the extra formats of the GX7 did not win me over. The style and build of the EP5 did. I use my EPL1 with my 80-200 and 300 Nikkors, and the focus peaking of the EP5 again is a big deal for me.5 Axis IBIS is a big deal using a wide lens as a run and gun tool for video, and the EP5/OMD have proven how good they are at this. I was looking for a camera that would last me 5 or 6 years and the EP5 fits that bill. I really like the fact that using something like the pany 14 and without the External VF it will fit in my cargo pants for walking around. I am surprised how the market has not embraced the EP5 as I think it is a fine camera that really does bring the Pen F to the 21st century. I have way to many cameras but If I had to keep only two, it would be my D7100 & the EP5 (which I don't even have yet, but it has been shipped!)
    • Like Like x 1
  19. charcoalblack

charcoalblack Mu-43 Regular

Dec 26, 2012
    i have used cameras with and without evf, as my eyes get worse due to age, I prefer having an evf, The lcd screen is just too small for me to see sometimes. So my vote goes for the e-m5.
  20. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    EP5 of course, the EM10 is several steps down from the EM5 so it's not in the same league.