Dilemma between Olympus 45mm and Sigma 60mm

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Dayam, May 7, 2014.

1. Dayam

Dayam Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Hi Guys,

My current camera is an E-PL6 + Sigma 30mm f2.8.

Now here's my dilemma. I'm planning to get the Sigma 60mm f2.8 and here in Singapore, it costs $270. Now Olympus a cash back promotion and the Olympus 45mm is now priced at ONLY $299.

Knowing that I already have the 30mm and is wanting a semi-portrait lens, should I go with the Sigma 60mm or the Oly 45mm? Is the Oly 45mm too close to the 30mm I currently have?

I was in favor of the Sigma because of the price difference between the Olympus before the promotion. But now that they're closely priced, I'm having a hard time deciding.

Your opinions are highly appreciated. :)
  2. fransglans

fransglans Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 12, 2012
    Imo mft need fast glass to compensate for the smaller sensor. And indoors with 2.8 is not ideal at least for me....
    • Like Like x 1
  3. elavon

elavon Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 1, 2012
    Tel Aviv Israel
    Get the Olympus it is 1.5 faster, I own it and it gets very sharp pictures.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    I haven't tried the Sigma, but I have the O45 and absolutely love it. It's sharp, has beautiful bokeh, focuses quickly and accurately, has great contrast and colours, and it's tiny and very well-built. I can't think of a single shortcoming.

However...I do see your problem. You'd only have two lenses, both aimed at doing much the same thing. If I were you, I'd possibly consider selling the Sigma 30 and buying a wider prime (which one depends on your budget) to help you spread out FLs a little bit. For example the Olympus 17 2.8 (or Panasonic 14 2.5 or Panasonic 20 1.7) and the 45 1.8 would make a great pair on a budget.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Timmy

Timmy Mu-43 Regular

Dec 3, 2013
    Wiltshire - UK
    The Sigma is excellent and usually it's attraction over the 45mm is it's price. If the cost is similar you might as well get the 45mm - it'll be more versatile, focus quickly and there's not much practical difference in terms of DOF / subject isolation. I don't believe anyone has ever regretted purchasing the 45mm.

This is an excellent suggestion - swap the 30mm for something a bit wider wider and you'll have a great kit that will cover you for most situations. Many options here, If you're on a tight budget you could consider swapping the 30 for the sigma 19mm.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I have both. You are correct in saying the 45 is more versatile, and it's an excellent lens in pretty much every way. Like most who have posted, I agree that it's probably the better choice if you're only going to have one. That being said, the 60 renders better. More contrast and pop (and probably sharper too). Trust me on this one guys (or check around on the forums), the 60 is worth the $230 USD without question.
    • Like Like x 3
  7. WendyK

WendyK Super Moderator

Feb 28, 2014
    Northern Virginia
    I'm going to have to agree with this. I also have both. Yes, the 45 is more versatile, especially indoors or in low light, but I love the rendering on the 60 and use it whenever I can. Outdoors it's just a fabulous lens. That said, the 45 is a classic for a reason, and I will never regret that purchase, either.

I think if you choose the 45, the idea mentioned earlier of swapping your Sigma 30 with a wider focal length like a Sigma 19 or perhaps the Oly 25 is worth considering. My prime trio is 25/45/60 right now and I use all 3 regularly and do not feel they overlap too much.
    • Like Like x 3
  8. bhima

bhima Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2014
    I love the sigma: It renders beautifully, and it is sharper than the Oly 45 in all of the quantitative reviews. That having been said, having the f1.8 of the Oly for only $20 more would make me likely lean towards the 45mm.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I have owned both. The 45 is best optimized for portraits while the Sigma 60 is more like a short telephoto with good close up abilities. Both are very good but are different. The 60 to me is more similar to the 75 1.8, with the sharpness but without the shallow DOF. In your case I might opt for the 45 because the 1.8 makes a noticeable difference in rendering. I'd use the 60 as a fast alternative to a slower telephoto zoom.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    I cannot answer your question. But the Oly 45mm is glued to my camera.

Olesya Zdorovetska at Sonic Vigil 8

• Like Like x 2
  11. chonbhoy

chonbhoy Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 23, 2013
    Scottish Highlands
    Go for the 60 if you never plan on getting the 75, otherwise the 45 is a solid performer
    • Like Like x 2
  12. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Nothing is forever, especially lenses in this price range, which you can collect slowly. Buy the 45mm now and you'll have your have a fast prime.You will have more money again in the future for something else, and it probably will be another fast prime.

• Like Like x 1
  13. fritsk

fritsk Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2014
    I have the 30mm and the 45mm. The 45mm is not too close (to the 30). For portraits go for the 45mm. It's easier to 'handle' than the 60 (and faster)!
    n.b. i'm planning to buy the 60mm as well...
    • Like Like x 1
  14. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Well... Back in the days of silver photography, I loved my 90 mm and dislike my 135 mm. So I bought the 45 Oly and cannot say anything about the Sigma.

The only downside of the 45 mm Olympus lens is that its closest focusing distance is 50 cm (20 inches) which is a bit long IMO. Otherwise... Small, sharp, quick.

In case you do macro photography, the weatherproof 60 mm Olympus may be interesting. It is much more expensive than the Sigma though, and the focusing is not quick, like all macro lenses -- it is still usable for general purpose photography.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Uncle Frank

Uncle Frank Photo Enthusiast

Jul 26, 2012
    San Jose, CA
    I own the 45/1.8 and the 60/2.8 and enjoy using both of them for portraits. I'd suggest the 45 because it is faster, more versatile, and a better size for your tiny pl6. The 60 is actually an aps-c lens with a built-in adapter for the u4/3 mount, so it's pretty chunky, even on my ep5.

• Like Like x 2
  16. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    45/1.8 all day every day.
  17. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    I used to think the Oly 45 was sharp, until I got the Sigma 60. They are both good lenses and I use both but you might want to take the advice and buy the 45 and sell your 30.
    • Like Like x 2
  18. svenkarma

svenkarma Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 5, 2013
    mark evans
    As you say you want a portrait lens rather than a macro, the 45 probably makes more sense.

A big thumbs down from me to the idea of selling the 30, which seems to come from people who don't actually have it.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    I own the Sigma 30 and the M.Zuiko 45.
    Owning the cheap and good M.Zuiko 50-150 I have no use for the Sigma 60.
    If both lenses are basically similar price buy the Olympus.
  20. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Sorry I just think the 30 and 45 are too close. I am not saying the 30 is bad at all, you can see my photos in the Sigma 30mm image thread. The 45 seems to suit his needs most, and I would recommend getting a 20mm or 25mm in place of the 30. In fact, ALL these lenses in question are good. Pick the length you want to work with and enjoy. :)

Oh by the way, to further confuse you: I just put up my Sigma 60 review: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=64244 :wink:
    • Like Like x 3