1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dilemma about wide / ultra wide angle lenses

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by NettieNZ, Jan 24, 2014.

1. NettieNZ

NettieNZ Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    NZ
    I'm off travelling again soon and one of the places I'll be visiting is Antigua, Guatemala. I love the Colonial Spanish buildings and the preserved earthquake ruins.
    My fav lens is my Pana 20mm prime which lives on my camera. Unfortunately for a place like Antigua it's just not quite wide enough to really get buildings in with some of the narrow streets.

Any recommendations for which WA to go for? I'd prefer a prime, (Oly 12mm) but not sure that is really the answer either which leaves me looking at a WA zoom. My widest lens at the mo is my 12-50mm that came with my E-M5 (hence comments about the 12mm prime).

So options out there seem to be Oly 12mm, 9-18mm or Pana 7-14mm.

Let me know what you think. Thanks

2. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    • Like Like x 1
  3. NettieNZ

NettieNZ Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    NZ
    Thanks, but I was kinda wanting to stay away from a fish eye for this. Still looks like a great lens for other things :)

4. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    I don't shoot oly bodies so I can't recommend easily the 7-14mm because I don't know how a PITA it is but if u have a pana body don't think twice. Also the fisheye is the n excellent idea! Reminder distortion with building is not always wanted. 12mm is definitely not wide enough in tight space. 10mm could be.

• Like Like x 1
  5. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    If you can swing the price of admission, my recommendation is the Pany 7-14. It's SHARP and with it's multiple focal length zoom, it's a tremendously versatile lens. As for whether shooting on a Pany or Oly body -- I shoot almost exclusively on Oly bodies (E-M5 / E-M1) and have been very happy with the results... The lens is a no-brainer for someone who enjoys shooting with wide focal lengths.

Good luck on your trip. Take lots of pix and post 'em when upon your return!

Cheers!

Wes

• Like Like x 2
  6. Mr Hahn

Mr Hahn Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 9, 2010
    SLC, Utah
    Nate
    The Panasonic 7-14mm and OM-D combo can give a nasty purple flare that's very difficult or impossible to correct in post.

Panasonic 7-14mm Flare - Case Study for a solution

Panosonic 7-14 and OM-D - How bad is the purple flare in real world use?

I've had lots of fun with the Samyang 7.5mm and it's easy to de-fish in Lightroom, but if you don't like messing with fisheye lenses then it's probably not for you. It's also a fully manual lens.

I've also been using the Olympus 9-18mm with the Lee filter system on it, but I'm selling it because I'm happy with what I get from the Samyang 7.5 and the Olympus 12-40mm.

And if you use filters, or want to use filters, only the Olympus 9-18mm has filter threads.

Good luck choosing your lens and have a good trip,

Nate

• Like Like x 1
  7. zlatko-photo

zlatko-photo Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2014
    Samyang announced a manual focus 10mm f/2.8 with M43 mount, but not sure when it will be available. It may also be a little big as it was designed for APS-C cameras.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BigTam

BigTam Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Dortmund, Germany
    Ron
    The 9-18 gives excellent results, is small and light (travel) and well worth the money. In cramped european city centres, it's very useful.

• Like Like x 1
  9. NettieNZ

NettieNZ Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    NZ
    I think I'm heading towards the Oly 9-18mm. With some more reading and your comments I think it might be the best option for me at the moment.
    Oly 12mm isn't wide enough and there are a couple of things that are putting me off the Pana 7-14mm - price and inability to put a filter on it (at the front :smile:)
    I like the image quality of the Pana - I understand the purple flare issues, but that's not putting me off. With the travel I do, I'm pretty much in a backpacking environment - Antigua will be one of the more 'developed' locations I go to on this trip. My gear runs the risk of being bumped around a bit and a filter gives me an insurance policy. Even with the protection the hood provides I'd feel really nervous without a filter protecting my glass.

I'd love to have the 7-14 but I think this time the 9-18 will be the one.

Thanks for your help!

10. wildwildwes

wildwildwes Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 9, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    Of the literally thousands of images I've logged with the 7-14 and E-M5 / E-M1 there have been precious few that manifested this issue. :horse:
    It really depends on the subject matter one is photographing and I suppose one's technique.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Everyone enjoys the Lumix 14mm pancake, it'd go well with your 20, but ...
    after using your 12-50 you will know if 14mm is wide enough.

I love my big old 4/3rds 9-18 with adapter, but I got it for cheapness rather than excellence.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I've had the 9-18 and the 7-14 and I'm enough of a wide angle freak to really like the extra width the 7-14 gives me. But other than that, I'd go for the 9-18 also. It's MUCH smaller and is a great travel lens. It takes filters. It works with Olympus bodies without needing any additional filtration (or attention to exactly how you're shooting relative to bright lights) to avoid the purple flare. And it's just as fast at the wide end, which is what you're buying it for. The IQ differences aren't enough to worry about IMHO - they're both great lenses. I'm happy to have the 7-14, but if I was slightly less of a wide angle guy, I'd be more than happy with the 9-18, as I was for a few years...

-Ray

• Like Like x 3
  13. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Oly 9-18 is a fantastic travel lens. I. wouldn't be without it.

I also have the Oly 12 mm for low light situations but my new GX7 is good enough in low light that I in thinking of selling the 12.

The other essential travel lens IMHO is the 14-140mm.

• Like Like x 1
  14. NettieNZ

NettieNZ Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    NZ
    Well I've done it. Oly 9-18mm it is. Lucky for me B&H had a second hand one so I've gone with that. Hopefully I'll have it by the end of the week :smile:

Thanks everyone!

15. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    oops. Don't know how I got the dupe!

• Like Like x 1
  16. oldracer

oldracer Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 1, 2010
    USA
    Good job. Now you can be silly: