1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

dilema

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by camerhoon, Dec 4, 2010.

1. camerhoon

camerhoon Guest

Feb 27, 2010
    I haven't been taking many photos lately. But a friend asked me to email some photos for a christmas present they were making. So I fired up lightroom and selected a few photos. some older ones from Canon 20D and various L series lenses, some Ep-1. To my dismay the best ones were the 20d, at least to my eye. I still have my 20d, but I've sold the L lenses.... what to do?

Has anyone else looked back and been disappointed with m4/3. For me the only advantage is size. Everything else leaves me feel grumpy, AF, Lack of viewfinder, speed of the Lens etc... I do have the 7-14mm lens which is great and I can't complain about this.

Am I alone.... is that a stupid question to ask in this forum?

Camerahoon

2. nolaSafari

nolaSafari Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
    New Orleans
    I like my GF1 because I can use all my legacy lens and the size. I carry the the GF1 and an Ipad to work I have a studio and a lab with me. It is fun to work with but when I really want to not miss a shot I grab my Nikon Gear. The GF1 is like my sports car quick and nimble and easy to park. When I want to do the heavy hauling I break out the heavy gear. This really is due to a lacking on my part and not due to the system. I really ended up with a 4/3 camera because I was shooting vintage Leica film cameras as a lark and wanted to use my Leica lens on a digital camera. One adapter led to another.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    How are you defining "best"?

The camera wont account for composition, subject matter, etc... Is it possible you just happened to have the 20D "on" when better pictures presented themselves?

4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

I'm with tc, camerhoon - can you give us a little more detail on what it was that bothered you so much about your micro four thirds photos? Even better, why not post some... We can compare and contrast, if you'd like.

I've seen so many truly top quality photos with these mu43 cameras... Heck, I even have some great shots with my little Panasonic LX5.

Were you enlarging these photos to a particularly large size or ?

Don't get me wrong, I know that there are many cameras that can bring out the best in a subject or scene.

5. camerhoon

camerhoon Guest

Feb 27, 2010
    2 examples

Now I'm really confused, the strawberry photo is the ep1 (not sure which lens), the glasses is the 20d + 24-70mm lens. Ep1 looks sharper etc, both have a warm colour that is similar. This is one of the ep1 photos that I like more.

I think maybe it is more the DOF differences due to lens differences that renders more pleasing photos for the 20d (to my eye). Cause when I look at these two I like both. I remember taking both photos and the glasses one was much easier due to better AF.

I guess I could have chosen ones I didn't like, but one of these was already uploaded so it was easier. MG_3392-Edit. strawberrys-are-good.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    ??
    I have a lovely viewfinder, fast AF which is accurate, lens is typical kit speed but sharp as a tack ...

Three relevant points : please post photos which illustrate them, rather than debunk your own original post.

7. camerhoon

camerhoon Guest

Feb 27, 2010
    i've just been looking at portraits of my daughter, I think the differences are DOF issues. Being able to isolate the subject from the background, especially with inside photos. So that is lens and sensor size, not quality (the above demonstrates that).

8. pjohngren

pjohngren Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 15, 2010
    For me, the fact that someone - even me - can and has taken a flawless picture with a m4/3 camera (in this case the G1 or GF1) means the equipment is fully capable of taking flawless pictures and anytime it doesn't most likely represents operator error not deficits in the equipment. You might have to adjust your technique here or there, but there is nothing laking in the equipment. It is a bit analogous to leaving film and going digital. When you finally take the plunge and don't look back, then you start to see what the new technology can do and how to make the most of it. I therefor don't grab my Nikon equipment anymore. It has become part of my past.

9. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Something to consider

Take a few minutes and watch this video
    The iPhone Fashion Shoot | Camera Obscura Photo Magazine

Buying any specific camera will not by itself produce better photos. In the example, the photographer took some great fashion shots using an iPhone. Great photos are more about technique and experience than a hardware investment. Practice, practice and more practice

• Like Like x 1
  10. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

camerhoon, both of these pictures are very nice. Perhaps you need to take the E-P1 out and try a series of planned photos, experimenting with the f stops and the rest?

11. Grant

Grant Mu-43 Veteran

I have a D300 and a GF1 and there is no doubt which one is technically the better camera. I stress technically because both cameras in practical use give excellent results and only an A/B test will show which wins.

I think the first line of your post may hold the key. Just get out there and shoot enough, then shoot some more and then even some more. When it comes to cameras familiarity breeds content.

Oh which one its the best? Look at my images and you decide. :smile: