1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DILEMA! Need advise...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by kriskerry91, Oct 5, 2012.

1. kriskerry91

kriskerry91 Mu-43 Regular

I bought an Olympus E-PL3 about a week ago brand new for £299.99 with 14-42mm Kit Lens and i'm very happy with it.
    BUT...
    I've just noticed a great deal and it's not even on offer it's just a standard package.
    It's £279.99 for an Olympus E-PM1 with 14-42mm Kit Lens AND 40-150mm Zoom Lens.

Should i take it back and get the E-PM1???

P.S i don't really need the tilting screen on the E-PL3.

Kris.

2. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Hi Kris
    If u dont need tilt screen then EPM1 is as good as EPL3, both use the same sensor.One more thing - why dont u return it and wait for EPM2?That will offer u much better sensor performance . Panny GX1 is one more camera which is more fun.
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

3. kriskerry91

when is the E-PM2 due for release in the UK?
    I'm guessing it will have a larger sensor in a slightly bigger body?

Kris

4. OlyPanda

OlyPanda New to Mu-43

May 23, 2012
    The sensor size remains the same.

5. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    The sensor size and body remain the same, as OlyPanda said, but there is a jump in sensor performance on the new PENs (same sensor as the OM-D). There are improvements especially in resolution, dynamic range and high ISO noise.

On the other hand, the EPM1 and EPL3 still take great photographs, and you can use money saved to go towards lenses! There will always be a new line of PENs yet again in 12 months or less.

6. kriskerry91

I really want the 40-150mm lens and its fairly expensive on it's own, and take away the flip out screen you basically have a more buttoned version of the E-PM1.
    Plus on this deal i'll be saving £20. Not alot, but every little helps!

7. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    Then, I think you have an answer. Return the E-PL3 and go for the E-PM1 + 2 lenses deal! I don't think you'll regret the move!

8. Hyubie

Hyubie Unique like everyone else

Oct 15, 2010
    Massachusetts
    Herbert
    As far as waiting for E-PM2 is concerned, you know what they say about that bird in the hand...? :smile: Plus, that probably will be priced in the $400 range? I've stopped trying to catch up with the latest and greatest. Moving from E-PL1 to G3 to E-PL2 to E-PM1 and now to E-PL3, I found that for the types of photos that I shoot and the size I print them, there's really not much difference. Yes, AF speed improved from the first gen PL's, but really ... milliseconds? I am now even enjoying manual focusing, and that takes seconds. Yes, I know, that long. :smile:

So I say go for the E-PM1. It's looks like a better deal. I went for the E-PL3 only because the tilt screen is very important to me.

9. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    From what I read, there are significant improvements in base/low ISO as well including improved shadow noise. It is generally understood that E-P3/E-PL3/E-PM1 sensor was way outdated even when first released let alone a year later. E-PM2 should be good enough for a few years. Remember, your lenses are only as good as good your sensor.

10. krugorg

krugorg Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jul 18, 2011
    Minnesota USA
    I agree that the sensor is going to be an improvement, but I think you can have an IQ bottleneck in either the sensor or the lenses. For example, if you don't have a focal length that you want to use a lot (OP mentioned 40-150mm), it doesn't help you a lot if your sensor scores well at dxo. If you are watching the budget, I think it would make more sense to invest money in lenses rather than a body that will change over in less than 12 months.

11. kriskerry91

The deed is done. I now have a E-PM1 with 14-42mm and 40-150mm! And saved £20! Very very happy!

12. Spuff

Spuff Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 5, 2010
    Berkshire, UK.
    The EPM2 according to Amazon is going to be released on 31st October.
    The price is £499 so this would have been a significant difference to the price of the deal gone with.

13. QualityBuiltIn

QualityBuiltIn Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 1, 2011
    Edinburgh, Scotland
    As you are looking for UK suppliers, keep an eye on SRS microsystems for your 40-150mm. They have lenses split from kits from time to time for really good prices. Ffordes is also worth a look for the best in secondhand lenses.

14. kriskerry91

I think now i'm going to start looking at the VF-3 and a prime lens. Defo want to get the Oly 60mm Macro lens but its waayy out of my price range at the minute!

15. applemint

applemint Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2012
    Indeed - and the equivalent twin lens kit (EPM2 +14-42 +40-150) is £750 on amazon UK - so nearly treble the price of the EPM1 twin lens kit deal @ £279.