Dignity in decay

Discussion in 'Black and White' started by MattNQ, Aug 1, 2012.

1. MattNQ

MattNQ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2012
    Hello,
    As a counterpoint to my introductory seascape images just posted, here are a few from my dark side :biggrin:.
    I love black & white - you can evoke so much moodiness out of an image. If money was no object, I'd be lining up for the Leica M Monochrom......But anyway, back to financial reality :frown:
    An EPL1 + 9-18mm does still get the job done :smile:

An old Townsville church house,

P8255772IJFRmod1-M.

P8255783IJFRmod8-M.

P8255777IJFRmod1-M.

• Like Like x 19
  2. Johnytuono

Johnytuono Mu-43 Regular

Feb 10, 2012
    Lancs., UK
    I can't beleive no-ones mentioned how fantastic these shots are!! I love them and would love to know in detail what processing methods you've used.
    Lovely!
    JohnyT

• Like Like x 1
  3. CUB

CUB Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 19, 2012

+1

• Like Like x 1
  4. SunnyD

SunnyD New to Mu-43

Apr 7, 2012
    SoCal
    I like the contrast, texture and dramatic sky. Did you use a filter?

• Like Like x 1
  5. MattNQ

MattNQ Mu-43 Regular

Jul 31, 2012
    Thanks all for the comments :smile:
    In answer to the questions;

I used a GND filter (Cokin ND8) while shooting to emphasize the cloud detail & prevent blowing them out.

Processing-wise, I adjust the image to where I am happy with the colour version first - eg usual contrast, brightness & saturation.

First & third image were processed in Paintshop Pro x3 - using B&W film affect - you can pick your colour filter to use for the conversion - I tend towards red as it seems to suit my photos better.
    Then a bit more play with levels to bring out highlights etc. Then I used the tone-mapping effect to bring out more detail. This is where I sometimes overdo it, as the tone-mapping is often a 'love it' or 'hate it' effect for many.

Second Image I was using trial versions of Lightroom 3 & Silver Efex. While I still haven't found the spare $$ for the full versions, they are on my shopping list. Silver Efex is seriously amazing for monos. This one I went with the different mono tint for a different look. Used the 'structure' effect - similar affect to PsP's tone mapping but easier to control (less problem with haloes) - that brings out the detail a bit. Cropped to square format - seemed more balanced at the time - then added the vignette.

Not sure if that helped or confused?

• Like Like x 2
  6. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    Nice shots Matt....I especially dig the 3rd.

And thanks for going through your process, its always great to read about how someone achieved the image we see on the screen.

Love the avatar too btw.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Pim

Pim Mu-43 Regular

Great shots Matt! I love B&W myself as well, and really like what you did to these. I use Silver Efex for my conversions as well, great tool indeed..!

• Like Like x 1
  8. incabloc

incabloc Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Awesome shots. The 3rd pic is my fav.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Crdome

Crdome Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 11, 2011
    West Central Indiana
    Chrome
    Matt, thank you for sharing your fabulous images and shooting and processing techniques. I shoot a lot of abandoned structures and need to remember the wonderful capacity of B+W.

• Like Like x 1
  10. TDP

TDP Guest

Great job man!

11. emperorvince

emperorvince Mu-43 Regular

Jun 8, 2012
    NYC
    Beautiful shots..the first one is my fav !

• Like Like x 1