DigitalRevTV reviews 45mm f/1.8

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by JJJPhoto, Oct 15, 2011.

1. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    Looks like a good video but I don't understand his comments about it being an expensive lens. Sure, it's not a $100 50mm f/1.8 like the cheap fifties from Canon and Nikon, but $399 is pretty inexpensive for a good lens.

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFR1UpwQrvQ&feature=channel_video_title]Olympus M.Zuiko 45mm f/1.8 Hands-on - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 3
  2. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    He doesn't use a VF2. I wonder if he likes the LCD framing.

The review was a little tame by his latest standards, but he had some nice street shots going. Liked the lady using the iPad2 as a camera, lol.

You can skip the bits from about minute 6 to 7:30. Kinda boring right in that patch.

Thanks for posting!

3. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    But in the end he says that it's well worth the money.

4. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    I like his reviews and video's.

Is he from Hong Kong.. he has an almost british accent.

5. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Well, he lives in Hong Kong now, which is where DigitalRev is based (check out thier main website), but I don't know if he grew up there or in the U.K. or even Australia. In one of his earlier videos, his girlfriend was gently making fun of him for not being able to read Chinese.

6. Bokeaji

Bokeaji Gonzo's Dad O.*

Aug 6, 2011
    Austin, TX
    Hong kong was under British rule for awhile

I love his videos
    He's totally someone I'd be friends with

- Eliot

7. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    I assume that by 'his girlfriend' you mean Alamby the producer for their web series :rolleyes:

8. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Somehow I feel the 12mm review was more substantial than 45mm review. However It was better than the last few mirrorless reviews he has had. Even though the photos dont really show what he was talking about, I think every reviewer is pretty much saying the same thing. This lens is one of the premium ones in mu43.

9. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Canon 85mm f/1.8: $400
    Nikon 85mm f/1.8: $430

Seems to be in line for a modern autofocus short tele. Can argue about how much lens you're getting etc but pricing compared to new lenses is not crazy.

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I like their reviews. He mistakingly indicated that this lens has a metal barrel, which it doesn't, but I agree with him that it is a good value for $400. It is optically fantastic, focuses quickly and quietly, is small and light, looks great, and has a great feel for manual focus. What's not to like?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Rudi

Rudi Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 16, 2010
    Australia
    Good point about the "feel" of manual focus. That is where the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 is absolutely atrocious - it feels like they threw in a few grains of sand into the focusing mechanism, just for fun. :wink:

12. Alanroseman

Alanroseman Super Moderator Emeritus

Dec 21, 2010
    New England
    Kai is a little crazy, and a lot irreverent .. I really enjoy every review he does.

13. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I enjoy his reviews as well. If you haven't seen it, check out this review of the new Fuji X10 done DigitalRev-style:

[ame=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HjUuDcn0DSQ]DigitalRev Style Fuji X10 Field Test - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 1
  14. f6cvalkyrie

f6cvalkyrie Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 12, 2010
    Brussels, Belgium
    It's a good video to watch !
    But not very 'in depth' when it comes to the information, unfortunately.

Still very funny, the boy.

C U
    Rafael