DigitalRev's Kai reviews the E-M5

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MrKal_El, Apr 14, 2012.

1. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    Love 'em or hate 'em... Here is one of my most anticipated review of the E-M5.... (I love him)

Olympus OM-D E-M5 Hands-on Review

<iframe width="853" height="480" src="" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
    • Like Like x 9
  2. jeffreybowman2k

jeffreybowman2k New to Mu-43

Dec 31, 2010
  3. 43hk

43hk Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2010

Interesting and practical review some of it filmed yards from my workplace. :smile:
  4. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    I will say he is little too stuck on the fact it isn't the digital update of the OM he would have liked...

That being said... he pretty much re-emphasizes much of what other reviewers have already wrote about... Good review overall.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Hikari

Hikari Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 26, 2010
    Like he would have actually been at an age or even born when the Film OMs were in production that he can talk like actually knew what those cameras were about.
  6. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    "The E-P3 is no less a camera, for a bit less money"

Eh? Bit of a lukewarm reaction, although to be honest the digitalrev reviews seem to have been more concerned with providing entertainment than in-depth analysis in recent times.

I agree that he needs to let go of the fact that a modern mirrorless camera somehow isn't quite the same as a 40yr film SLR, no more than a Mini or VW Beetle is going to be the same as the original (and thank goodness for that!).
    • Like Like x 2
  7. blaffendespin

blaffendespin Mu-43 Regular

Feb 28, 2012
    Rexburg, ID
    I really like his reviews. His reviews actually greatly led to the decision to go with my Olympus 4/3. But, like you said, you either love him or hate him. More of an acquired taste :smile:
  8. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Best analysis IMHO is how OMD owners view Kai's review :smile:
  9. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Interesting.. in some ways one of his better reviews but definitely lacking in technical aspects of the camera. Keeping more to a OM vs. OM-D experience then the camera itself. Sounds like he might do a further one later..

That said, I do get what he's conveying having played with one for a bit. For those Olympus OM users and film guys of the past... the OM-D is a bit of let down. Nothing wrong with it but doesn't result in a Leica/OM type of attachment to the camera. It's a nice digital camera - no more no less. At the demo, Olympus had a OM there and I get what he is saying.

He says it perfectly when saying the OM-D is a sillouette of the OM. It's a modern take on a classic. Well executed, just not wow this thing is beautiful. Hence why some of us are waiting to see what an EP-4 becomes as I resonate more the PEN series then the OM-D. The look, feel of it wasn't retro enough for me.

For anyone just entering photography and use to Digital only.. the OM-D is amazing in its execution. For film guys who get the lore of the OM.. probably not going to feel right shooting with the modern vs of a classic.

But that is pretty much the case with anything.. cars etc. No matter how well the modern interpretation is of a classic car.. it never quite feels right. Look at the camero, challenger, mustangs... always crying for the original but never quite getting there.

Then again, Corvette seems to nail it with their modern takes so I guess it is possible.. (and new Eagle E-type seems to do a great job of reinventing a classic).

Leica has done a good job of keeping to their roots and appeasing their fans. But the 9 does need an update sooner then later.

Can't believe I'm about to say this but.. maybe.. just maybe.. Canon will nail a true retro film camera to digital evolution limited production series using an APS sensor.

Or if Olympus would issue a limited production of a OM-D EM5x variant :tongue:
    • Like Like x 1
  10. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    You don't need to LIVE in the era to appreciate it.

Take music.. CD vs. Vinyl. Many people are setting up analogs vinyl systems and appreciating how special a sound vinyl is vs. CDs

Does that a mean a 25yr music lover can't comment on a modern Turntable vs. an Linn LP12 just because he wasn't born or listening to music in the 70s but totally understands and appreciates that 2-channel music resonates for many but that CD has its place and advantages as well.. ie EVF.. 5-axis IS..

That isn't to say.. that there isn't room in the market for a $1,500 Retro Leica M-9 killer. OM-D came close but just a bit of the mark. Fuji didn't do it well with the Xpro.. The EP-2, X-100, M8-9s where perhaps the best attempts but all left some things to be desired. Be it resolution, AF speed, ISO performance etc. Maybe the next version of it will nail it like what EP1 to EP2 did.

That's the flack a company has to face and accept when they try and update a classic that has a significant following. If they hadn't used the OM name.. probably would have less of a comparison to the classic and could have stood more on its on.
    • Like Like x 1
  11. duke

duke Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 4, 2010
    Tulsa, moving to Houston
    His review was pretty pointless honestly. Of course it doesn't have an OVF, nobody who knows anything about mirrorless cameras is going to be disappointed by that, it's how they work (please don't mention the fujis, those are just cheap little windows that don't show focus or DOF and you can't even use it most of the time). He tried to slight the autofocus because it doesn't automatically focus on what you want, camera does, that's why you can pick the focus point! Then he was talking about how if it ain't broke, don't fix it...Hello! Does he know that the last OM camera was made decades ago? Olympus is broke and they need to fix it!

This "review" really reminded me of why I don't pay any attention to him anymore, too much unsubstantiated/irrelevant opinion disguised as a review.
    • Like Like x 3
  12. EthanFrank

EthanFrank Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2011
    I was born after the OM-1 was discontinued, but I've put over 30 rolls through mine in a year and a bit. I know quite a bit about Zuiko lenses and some of my favorite shots have been taken with OM cameras.

I don't see what being born in the OM age has to do with enjoying them. They're no less of a camera now then when they were released.

20120228.jpg by -eth-, on Flickr

20110910-img159.jpg by -eth-, on Flickr

20110923-img192.jpg by -eth-, on Flickr
  13. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    If he wanted to do an OM vs OM-D comparison he should have called it that, not an OM-D review. Not much meat on that bone on this one, but what's there backs up most everything else I've read.
  14. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    It was interesting that Kai likened the E-M5's on/off switch to that which has been found on the larger Canon bodies for years. The thing with those cameras is that you need never touch the on/off switch. Just let the camera go to sleep and wake it whenever you need to with a touch of the shutter or play button. I hope that the inclusion of an on/off switch (rather than a button as on the Pens) means that you can turn the E-M5 on with the shutter button as you can with a Panasonic.
  15. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Well said.
  16. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I find him hilarious, and believe that his reviews actually benefit from being done in a video format (which is something you won't hear me say very often at all).
    • Like Like x 1
  17. lowincash

lowincash Mu-43 Regular

Mar 6, 2012
    Los Angeles
    Maybe Kai's a little guy, the E-M5 looks big when he's holding it lol
  18. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    That's what I'm saying. The EM5 is tiny! His review with Nikon DSLRs make the D700 look like a D3 in Kai's hands!
  19. starlabs

starlabs Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2010
    Los Angeles
    Don't take his "reviews" seriously. It's just entertainment. :smile:
    • Like Like x 1
  20. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    Like it was earlier stated, his reviews are merely entertaining. Lacked a lot in the technical aspects of the camera as well as overall usability/functionality. He seems a little disinterested as compared to his 5D mk III and D800 reviews. oh well... It was entertaining, I give him that.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App