1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DigitalRev TV "Review" of E-P5...

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by MrKal_El, Jul 7, 2013.

1. MrKal_El

MrKal_El Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 24, 2011
    <iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Op-l3fgK7Ew" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I usually like Kai's style of reviews and sense of humor...but I think this is one of the laziest videos done by him. Sloppy work, and just overall poor presentation. I don't get it. :dash2:

2. shutterduster

shutterduster Mu-43 Regular

Feb 8, 2013
    Keremeos, BC. Canada
    Dave T
    Does Kai Think The Pen is DEAD????

In Japanese 4 means dead is what he said in the early part of the video.
    He also says that 16mp is the limit for 4/3 sensor.
    In the end the fold up board says Pen is 4 = (DEAD)
    I think he has really got this one wrong.
    What do you think:confused:

3. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    DRTV is the Top Gear of camera reviewers. They are knowledgeable about their product but they are more interested in entertainment. I don't watch their reviews to get facts about cameras just like I don't watch Top Gear to get facts about cars.

4. RuffDraft

RuffDraft Mu-43 Regular

Jan 13, 2013
    Kai seemed really certain that Nex cameras with their APSC sensors, or even full frame Mirrorless is the way of the future.

He seems pretty sceptical that micro four thirds has any legs, despite his love for the 17 and 12mm lenses from Oly.

That said, I agree with the poster above in that Kai doesn't necessarily stay serious for his reviews, and I perhaps agree with his usual synopsis that most upgrades simply aren't worth the cash.

I did find it worrying whilst watching the video how dismissive Kai was of M4/3 though.

5. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I agree but Kai is an Idiot and beats about the bush all the time .

6. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    He's hard on the E-P5 and this being a native MFT forum, of course "we" aren't going to like this one...

7. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
    Kai is a Joker.. but (in essence) what he's saying is very few groundbreaking changes to the EPx, especially in light that the competitors are offering bigger/better sensors and that the EPx has simply refined what they already offer. Bringing up the legal troubles at Olympus was unnecessary.. but a point nonetheless.

"PEN IS FOUR" or "PENIS FOUR" (however you see it) was also tongue in cheek..

8. ALMANST

ALMANST Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    ON, Canada
    He makes a valid point about the sensor.

For the price range that Olympus is offering for their EP5s and OMDs, they should start offering them in a larger APSC format. The IBIS will probably need to be re-designed/tweaked.

When you look at the size of Sony NEX cameras, you can see a large sensor can be applied to a small package. And the size difference between Sony, PEN, and the OMD are negligible.

9. twalker294

twalker294 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 18, 2010
    Why? The end result is all that matters and I don't think you can claim that :43: cameras are at all lacking in that department. The entire format is built around that size sensor and that's not going to change, nor do I want it to. I don't see that point as having any validity whatsoever.

10. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    All you need to do is redesign the IBIS?? Hardly. Scrap every lens that has been made for this system and make them BIGGER.

Sony NEX lenses are sub-par in general. The Fuji line-up shows how to make good ASP-C lenses, but look how big they are. The size advantage to m43 is real, and Kai allowed a misunderstanding around that point. It's a trade off -- eek out higher IQ in the sensor, but lose on the lenses (Sony), higher IQ out the sensor AND lenses (Fuji) but lose some size advantage. Get great IQ out of the sensor, though maybe not the 100% best, build great compact lenses, and have a smaller system (m43).

Pick your system, but it's not cut and dry. There are trade-offs.

11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Kai has never liked the m43 format for some reason. Always seems overly harsh. The bit about the E-P5 being incremental... well... so is nearly every Rebel and the like. Which ones bring big changes? 1 every 4ish iterations? Or the 5D and like.. which are refreshed far less frequently and expected.

But I'd argue the E-P5 is one of the bigger upgrades w/ the sensor and 5-axis IBIS. I'd also argue it's overpriced in it's body only form... it's only worth it, IMO, in the 17/VF4 kit. But more power to them if they can sell it. More R&D money is always good =)

12. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    The video was pretty much what I was expecting. I have grown tired of their humor over the years but the serious parts of the video(s) still have merit. The E-P5 is an evolutionary and revolutionary model change, not the stuff for a great photography video. The questions about sensor size and the future of :43: are being addressed in threads on this board. I thought that the video was fairly done.

13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    I wonder if Four Thirds lenses can cover an APS-C sensor with just a mount change :biggrin:

14. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    If you have seen some of his earlier videos Kai is a Leica ****** and uses FF for landscapes.

Post-Script: sorry, I forgot that ****** was banned. I did not intend its use in a derogatory manner, instead it was an alternative for the term: fanatic.

15. ALMANST

ALMANST Mu-43 Regular

Jan 20, 2013
    ON, Canada
    Good point about the lenses. Forgot about that.

It would give them an opportunity to perhaps create and market an "even more professional" class of lenses and cameras in a larger format but try to keep it small... and price them much higher. :biggrin: But I can't see them bothering to do that.

It is disappointing to see just minor improvements from the EP5 compared to the OMD. The the lack of a built in viewfinder is silly, especially since you have to add that ugly lump of a VF4. Might as well get the OMD.

16. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I think Olympus made a mistake marketing this camera instead of something closer to an E-M5 -- ESPECIALLY for the INSANE price they are charging for this thing.

No VF.
    No weathersealing.

Costs about as much as an E-M5 does now. There is and never has been any real "value" in this camera.

So... I kind of agree with him and I've been saying this stuff since it was announced.

17. dornblaser

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    It will be interesting to see the new OM-D bodies that are rumored to be introduced later this year.

18. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Toronto
    Well.. he wasn't necessarily off in his assestment .. he actually praised it quite a bit. He simply wasn't impressed that the EP5 is simply an EP1 with better sensor and better IBIS..

Basically, the PEN is now a mature product .. only real improvements are most likely only to come from better video (doubt it) and very minor tweaks... which isn't a bad thing.

That said, it does seem the real wow factors are probably going to come from a SONY NEX with 5-axis stablization PEN Killer and so hopefully, OLYMPUS does a FULL FRAME PEN ILC using the RX1 sensor with 5-axis stablization.

M43 is actually, good enough "as he put it".. now lets see what Olympus can do FULL FRAME with their FAST autofocus and 5-axis stablization..

That said.. I'll be getting the EP-5 soon waiting for the FF Olympus should it ever be developed.

As he put it, the PEN body could be smaller.. As NEX's are similar in size..

The only M43 advantage is smaller lens but really.. other then the 20mm pancake.. none of the lens are truly smaller in keeping with the pocketable factor of a M43.. Olympus has done nothing to make a HG glass pancake. We're stuck with only the 20mm slowish focus lens. The 17 pancake isn't good enough.. All the other ones 12, 45, 75, 25 (Leica) etc are not small. Sure the APS camera require bigger lens but based on dSLR sales still very much eclipsing mirrorless.. that isn't a concern for the masses.

I for one would like a EP5-20mm coupled with a FF M9 like Olympus camera.

19. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Boston
    The 12 and 45 are very small for what they are. The PL25 less so. The O75 is small for what it is, but it is a biggish lens for m43 for sure. So isn't the P100-300, but the OMD P100-300 provides a WALLUP of reach and it doesn't permanently harm your shoulder.

There are size advantages. Whether the advantages are worth it to you is a personal matter.

20. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    There's a lot of scepticism over u43 these days - but I really don't understand it. None of the other EVIL cameras offer anything like as comprehensive a lens range as u43 and cameras such as the OMD, GH3 and EP5 are up with the best in any format. Seems to me that Oly and Panasonic should really be trying harder on the marketing front.