1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DigitalRev reviews the Sony NEX-7

Discussion in 'Other Systems' started by Jonathan F/2, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
  2. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    Yes, yes it was. As much as I like Oly's SCP, I can't think that the NEX-7 is any harder to figure out how to use.

Trying to change out lenses on the ice is epic.

In alot of ways the camera offers many of what enthusiasts want. In other ways one wonders's if Sony knows how those enthusiasts are going to actually use the camera.

I've looked at many of the noise comparisons, and I don't think that downsizing and comparing high ISO images from this camera are all that different than the NEX-5n.

3. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Funny, the people on the NEX forums at DPR didn't seem amused at all. They're idiots (as are the people on the rest of the DPR forums including micro four thirds) but it was hilarious how angry they got.

4. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    I wouldn't go so far as to say their idiots...I used to frequent those forums. I do however find it pretty funny how wrapped around the axel some folks get over stuff like this. Brand loyalty is (or when folks don't love the thing you just shelled out a grand for) tends to bring out some pretty odd behavior in folks. Also, for whatever reason DPR does tend to get its share of that kind of thing.

5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Kai ripped the Olympus E-PL3, he also ripped into the Nikon V1. It's nice to see Sony get flamed a little. I like how they started with the 16 2.8 and then switched out to the 24 1.8 which ended up looking massive. Also the lack of markings on the dial was definitely pointing out the obvious which many so-called serious reviewers tended not to mention.

6. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    That part of the review disappointed me. The very nature of the dials precludes markings because they change function depending upon mode and user selection. That's a key part of the ethos of the camera, and seems well-liked by most experienced reviewers.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Djarum

Djarum Super Moderator

Dec 15, 2009
    Huntsville, AL, USA
    Jason
    I'm not sure if the issue was about 'marks' on the dial as it is a feedback that one value of setting had been changed. I haven't played with the camera, but are their 'clicks' with those dials?

8. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    I like the flexibility of unmarked dials. But one crucial detail I feel everyone is over looking is the the feel of the dial. According to Kai, it is hard to tell how much of the setting has changed there are no grooves or clicks to feel it out without looking at the screen settings.

9. Pelao

Pelao Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 3, 2010
    Ontario, Canada
    Hi

Yes - Steve Huff's video review was very explicit about the clicks, and it was mentioned in some other reviews: Reichman I think, for example. In Huff's video the dials seemed nicely 'notched', but I haven't handled a 7 so can't judge for myself.

10. lenshoarder

lenshoarder Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    That's what baffled me about the review. Even as he was complaining about it, I thought I could hear the clicks on the wheel as he was turning it.

I like Kai's reviews as entertainment but I don't take them seriously at all. It's like watching a car review on Top Gear. It's funny and makes good TV, but I wouldn't base any buying decisions on it.

11. fredlong

fredlong Just this guy...

Apr 18, 2011
    Massachusetts USA
    Fred
    A "brilliantly alright camera". Gotta love that!

Fred

12. jpplenissart

jpplenissart Mu-43 Regular

That was a really really fun video (review ?) !

I was really worried by its ability to shoot while skating :)