DigitalRev reviews the new Olympus 12mm f/2.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by bilzmale, Aug 6, 2011.

1. bilzmale

bilzmale Mu-43 All-Pro

They like it.

• Like Like x 4
  2. magicianhisoka

magicianhisoka Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 8, 2011
    They pointed out the same problem that everyone sees. The price of that lens hurts for an m4/3.
  3. JJJPhoto

JJJPhoto Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    Cincinnati, OH
    Jerry Jackson Jr
    If this was priced between $500 and $700 rather than $799-$899 it would be an even better seller for Olympus. I have zero doubt that the $399 45mm f1.8 lens will sell at least two or three times as many units as the 12mm ... Despite the fact that the 12mm is the better lens. Likewise, I am sure many people interested in the 12mm will end up buying the Panasonic 14mm instead.
  4. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    But if they had done the manual focus thing on the 45/1.8, I bet they would have sold 10x as many, even if priced 500-800 USD
  5. LovinTheEP2

LovinTheEP2 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 15, 2011
    Darn him.. cool review.

Sounds like the perfect kit would be:

What a tough call between the 14mm and 20mm straped to a M43.. then the 12mm (think I'd have that kit vs. any of the kit zooms) .. then the 45mm

Was thinking of a 14mm / 45mm / 75mm-300mm

now thinking

12mm / 20mm / 45mm / 75mm-300mm; wait a sec.. talk about some serious mulla

• Like Like x 1
  6. dyrmaker83

dyrmaker83 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 19, 2011
    Washington, DC
    I still don't see a problem with the price. Back when I had a Nikon D40, I lamented the fact that other than the two kit zooms and the 35mm 1.8, there were no affordable lenses under $400 - particularly primes. With M43, we have the 14mm, 20mm, soon to be 45mm, all with pretty stellar image quality. Life is pretty good I think.

My guess is that the metal construction and snap focus ring each add significantly to the cost. They could have made the 12mm without those features for probably $300 or so less, but it wouldn't be nearly as cool then would it. I think I'd rather have those things and be able to save up for them.

I say this, as someone who won't be able to afford one for a loooong time.
  7. drizek

drizek Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 5, 2011
    The 45 doesn't have the manual focus thing? It is by wire only? That's terrible.
  8. jonoslack

jonoslack Mu-43 Regular

Aug 2, 2011
    Always love his reviews - not sure why, and I'm not sure that they're useful, I just like the quirkiness.

I also love the lens!
  9. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    So what you're saying is that you want the 45 to be just like the 12 but you don't want to pay a price like the 12....
  10. Danny_Two

Danny_Two Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2010
  11. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Does the manual focus arrangement really account for the premium price? Doesn't disengaging the focus-by-wire in favour of a mechanical focus make it...just like any other non m4/3 and 4/3 lens on earth?

The lens itself looks great. I just wish Kai would use some form of strap when he tests cameras. It's like watching someone drive without a seatbelt...
    • Like Like x 1
  12. twmangrove

twmangrove Mu-43 Regular

May 8, 2011
    The Shuswap, B.C.
    Digital Rev's more recent review comparing the new NEX to the E-P3 and the G3 for manual focusing is pretty fun too. Kai definitely seems to prefer the finer things.
  13. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    It's a combination of those plus the metal build...
  14. ZephyrZ33

ZephyrZ33 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 18, 2010
    Southern California
    I thought I was the only one bothered by that. I guess, it's understandable if you're trying to sell/review a product without other distracting ornaments.

A friend of mine's has been shooting for over a decade now and he doesn't believe in any straps. I always envision his 5D just taking a nasty tumble.
  15. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    This lens looks like it would be a great lens for the m4/3 kit.
  16. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    it is =)

More than likely the price will drop by $100 by winter. or more. right now, it's just hte early adopter fee. not sure it was worth it, but I much prefer it over the 14 purely because it's a 12, heh.
  17. DHart

DHart Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 7, 2010
    Scottsdale, Arizona
    I love the 24mm field of view, the speed, the sharpness, the build quality, the manual focus. I think it is a home run. Will confirm as I get some camera time with it.
  18. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Yup, I really enjoyed this one :biggrin:.

<embed src=";hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="560" height="349" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed>
    • Like Like x 2