1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

digitalrev on m43

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oly.sol, Feb 17, 2016.

1. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    is it me, or is this pretty silly. while they get around to talking about lenses and not just bodies, they then go back to ignoring lenses. weird. no one shoots w/ just a body. you need a body AND and lens. so when they ask what does m43 have to offer now that apsc and ff makers can pack so much into small bodies, isn't the obvious answer: m43 still offers a small package, not just small bodies. and really, who the hell wants even tinier cameras? i mean, are there infant photographers out there. i can't imagine using a camera smaller than an ep5. i can definitely imagine not using one, though.

2. manju69

manju69 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 1, 2011
    Stroud, UK
    Pete
    These guys are always knocking m43 and mirrorless in general... perhaps entertaining but not at all rounded or even truthful at times.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    Silly or not, its what some of us are concerned with. Will m43 be squeezed on the small end by ever-improving cell phone cameras and on the high-end by shrinking APS-C and FF bodies and more compact lenses like Nikon's freznel 300, or will the e-m1mk2 make enough advancements to make it a real enthusiast/pro contender again?

m43 isn't going to be able to compete with iphones and Instagram. Its going to compete with D500 and 7dmk3 when its announced and A7Rwhatever, a6400 and D760, etc... IT needs some serious upgrades in AF, noise, etc...

So, hoping to hear more about e-m1mk2 and reasonably priced SHG, fast lenses soon, or I expect many enthusiasts will start to leave the format. Hoping.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I shoot FF DSLRs, the FF A7 and Olympus M43. There is some stuff that only M43 can shoot. I've yet to see a shot from any FF camera that can match what I get from an E-M5 II and my 8mm 1.8 Pro in extreme low light conditions handheld. I've tried with my A7, but my EM5II with native glass is a beast.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    DigitalRev is entertainment, no more. So far as the future of u43 is concerned though I can sort of see where they're coming from unless the format evolves and remains competitive. As Speedlner said above, that means making AF better for stuff that moves (well, at least so far as Olympus is concerned) and stepping up in sensor tech.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    So where's the GM5 in full frame? Oh, wait, that fat clunky thing?

7. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    they tend to say deliberately provocative things to stir shit up. I do enjoy their videos as entertainment if not as actual review material.

If you think you'd be better served by an APS-C or FF system, make the switch.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Bob Rockefeller

Bob Rockefeller Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 15, 2015
    Richmond Hill, GA
    Bob Rockefeller
    There are limits to all the formats in one way or another. Medium format is only going to get but so small. 35mm format is only going to get but so light. m4/3 format is only going to get but so noiseless.

Physics will only allow a fast lens, that covers a 35mm image circle, be of a certain diameter. It will only allow photosites that are small enough for a 20MP m4/3 sensor collect a certain amount of light - at least there could be improvements in the sensor itself to allow more amplification of that light without creating more noise.

I suspect it will be more about the brands than the formats. Fujifilm is pretty hot now and it's not so much because it APS-C format.

• Like Like x 1
  9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If m4/3 is destined to die because its niche can be better served by other systems going forward, then it kind of deserves to die. There's nothing magical about the m4/3 format other than the fact that it does a particular portability/capability compromise rather well *for the moment*. Unless you own Olympus or Panasonic stock I don't see how it matters.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I agree, but where it matters is in preserving our investment in the kit. I'm sure I'm not alone in having built a nice collection of lenses and tools. Don't really want to build a new base again. Adding or augmenting is better than starting over.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. newphoto1

newphoto1 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 24, 2014
    Oklahoma
    Colin
    Just to throw out another spin - micro four thirds is far from dead. Expanding their base of users through a better lens line up and new cameras, expanding the rate of technological improvements, attracting an ever larger group of pros and others who make their living with a camera system. I no longer think about my Olympus gear as "good enough," but a system that offers me so much more than anything else I could use.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    It seems to me that the future of m43 is in the lenses, assuming regular progress is made on AF and video and overall image quality, et cetera. I switched from sony mirrorless cams to oly because the sony lenses made the whole system bigger than I wanted. With m43, I can go with tiny lenses or bigger lenses when I need them. Right now, no other system offers that, right?

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Slightly more interesting topic as expressed in the video: is m43 dead for similar reasons as 4/3rds died? Hanging the platform on a technical concept that was intensely vulnerable to anything progressing differently than how 4/3rds wanted it to?

14. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    Agreed here, and I think those lenses are the real strength of the m43 system. Full frame, 35mm lenses are just going to be bigger, you can't cheat physics and after almost 100 years of trying, we're pretty much as small as we can get. APS-C is somewhere between m43 and FF. Fuji's made some great lenses, but they're still quite a bit bigger than even the Olympus PRO line. FF mirrorless has a long way to catch up in terms of AF performance and usability.

I'm happy with the system and hope it sticks around for a good long time. Even if it's only improved incrementally in the next decade, I've got a system I'm happy with right now.

15. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Isn't Olympus #1 is Japan right now? Lots of people are buying m/43, also look at all the bodies/lenses coming out. However, I love photography and the end result is the print/picture. When you see a winner shot, who the heck wonders what format was used?

Lets say M4/3 is dead and you switch to APSC or FF. Does your finish product turn into a best seller around the country? Creativity, and/or artistry isn't sold in stores.... We would be better served worrying about turning out too many snapshots. How is it that I don't see threads about the subject on these pages? We are the weak link, not these bodies/sensors M4/3 uses.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Dayam

Dayam Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2014
    Singapore
    Dave
    I really never liked digitalrev. I've watched their videos a long time ago when deciding to make my first camera purchase but never learned anything, especially for m4/3's. Never went back to watch any of their videos since.

17. T N Args

T N Args Agent Photocateur

Dec 3, 2013
    Adelaide, Australia
    call me Arg
    Why be concerned? Assume everything will be 'gone' one day. I expect, one day, 1" or smaller will meet needs that are currently met by Four Thirds. We should already have (where is it??) bokeh software in-camera or in-software that can analyse the live view and apply creamy/classic bokeh effects like 85mm f/1.2L or Zeiss 135mm f/2 full frame lenses. The time will come when we ask: why keep referencing to 44mm?

There should be less and less need for 44mm cameras and back strain and bank loans as sensor and software tech races into the future. Instead of being squeezed, µ4/3 should be the new full frame in time, then be consigned to the same history as full frame as smaller sensors meet more needs, better and more cheaply.

I am always faintly bemused by the amount of forum talk dedicated to predicting camera markets and the future of products. It is like we are all investors (and very stupid ones if this is what we choose to invest in) who are in a panic that our stock's value is about to crash and we will miss the savvy moment to sell out. Come on. Chill. We are going to lose money. The exact amount we lose shouldn't be the biggest issue in the world. And I say that as someone with very limited resources. Use our µ4/3 gear while it meets our needs, and sell it when it doesn't. That's the time to sell, and accept market prices, not in some panic about how nobody will want it one day.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. onewheeltom

onewheeltom Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2015
    Cary, NC
    Tom Karches
    Declaring something "dead" because they have a corresponding "killer" just makes me take them less seriously anyway. Don't waste your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 mobile app

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jfrader

Jfrader Guest

Never take anything Kai says seriously. He is a pot-stirrer, nothing more. Note they compared m43 to the Sony 7Rii and said it just isn't as good. But the didn't mention cost comparisons. I don't want to spend $3k on a camera body. I doubt very many of us do.

• Like Like x 2
  20. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

4/3 died because Olympus and Panasonic wanted to be leaders in a new market rather than bringing up the rear in an old one. Nobody but Canon and Nikon ever gained traction in the dSLR market, regardless of sensor size. Sony even had a nice FF option and a bigger APS-C than Canon with IBIS, but it didn't matter. Olympus SLR sold (and probably still would) better than Pentax SLR ever did, so I don't think it has any bearing on the "tiny" sensor.

Here's what the SLR market looked like the year m4/3 was started (not sure what other 7% is):
    dslr-2008-japan-market-1.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 1