1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Digitalrev compares OMD, Nex7 and XPro 1

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by asaulo1, Apr 22, 2012.

1. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    Pretty entertaining

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRyQU6XCQt0&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Fuji X-Pro1 vs Sony NEX-7 vs Oly OM-D E-M5 - Low Light Test - YouTube[/ame]

• Like Like x 4
  2. recasper

recasper Mu-43 Regular

Feb 12, 2012
    Alameda, California
    Alamby is so cute. lol

I love the fact that Lok and her both were reaching for the E-M5 right out of the gate.

• Like Like x 2
  3. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Just commented on the video. All three are good cameras and quality wise is splitting hairs when you factor in reality. :smile:

I prefer the OMD because of its speed. I'll take a photo that has slightly more noise thats actually in focus over a blurry one that has less noise.

We should all comment on the video and let them know that there are a lot of serious Micro 4/3 shooters which is in my opinion the best system by far.

• Like Like x 2
  4. playak47

playak47 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 4, 2010
    Good idea on the comments. I usually like the underdog teams. I guess that goes for gear too. mu-43 is one of things people don't really take the time to understand. They go mostly for numbers and "name" brand products. I would surely like to own big sensor camera like the x100 one day but mu-43 is probably the best compromise with good enough quality for most people.

• Like Like x 1
  5. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    just as Kai said, there's something for everyone in the mirrorless system. I, myself, bit the bullet and got the XPro 1 as I have been wanting more IQ in my current cameras (7D, 60D and E-PL1) and I can't be happier (except for the $$$). Maybe after I've sold my 60D and some canon glass, I'll venture into the OMD or whatever iteration is next. I know that if not for the m4/3 system, I wouldn't have renewed my passion for photography. Cheers....
    here's an example of a SOOC shot on the 1st day I've had the XP1... weirdly lit starbucks and it didn't focus hunt like I thought it would....

• Like Like x 3
  6. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    I think if the community comes together we can petition for things like focus peaking but it starts with stuff like commenting to correct reviewers. It worked for Canon to add manual exposure to the 5DMKII and Canon is a huge company.

7. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'm tired of reviews that focus on high ISO. The OM-D is good enough ISO-wise while benefiting from a whole slew of other advantages.

• Like Like x 4
  8. Ray Sachs

Ray Sachs Super Moderator

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    Go on with your "best" this and "best" that. Every camera is a compromise and some sets of compromises work best for some shooters and other compromises work best for other shooters and some of us like to have more than one camera/system for their complimentary strengths. The EM5 is a great camera and shows just how far m43 has come. Its very exciting. Its not the BEST at everything, though. I haven't seen anything yet that tells me its as good as the X-Pro in low light. That's its even sort of close is a hell of a great thing. If it represents your best set of compromises, great. But don't try to turn that into some sort of universal truth that all must subscribe to.

I do appreciate that you prefaced your statement with "in my opinion" but "in MY opinion" a better qualifier for these types of statements would be "for MY wants and needs". There's a difference between your opinion of what should be best for everyone and having your wants and needs best addressed but acknowledging that other cameras might be better for others who shoot differently or different stuff than you do.

BTW, I've done a lot of low light shooting with the X-Pro 1 and its extraordinary - I expect to do my share with the EM5 (or sucessor) as well and see what each is better at. I've missed focus a few times but I've nailed it most of the time. The EM5 may be better - it'll no doubt be faster, but that matters more for some things than others. The X-Pro 1 is so good in low light I've actually used zone focussing in night settings which I'd never even THOUGT of doing before and I don't believe the EM5 will be up for, but I'd love to be proven wrong! Which is a whole lot quicker than even the EM5's auto-focus. Which I guarantee will find some occasions to hunt, as any contrast detect system will if you don't give it the right type of contrast to focus on.

-Ray

• Like Like x 3
  9. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Ray, in MY opinion :tongue: the distinction you're making is a matter of semantics. I highly doubt that anyone thinks that MFTs is the best system for everybody!

• Like Like x 1
  10. thearne3

thearne3 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2010
    Redding, CT USA
    Both Ray and Giulio make excellent points. We do need to make our preferences known, and at the same time acknowledge they are our preferences.

I would add that Giulio also said 'best system': one of the strengths of m4/3 is the depth and breadth of the system. That system does not [yet] include a camera with quite same capabilities as the XPro1 (we can dream!). Until that day Ray will just have to 'live with' a personal system that is built around more than one format... My sympathies, bro' ! :rolleyes: :2thumbs:

So far, I'm very happy with my E-M5 system...I may get around to asking for more, but I figure it'll be some time before I get close to mastering what I've got.

• Like Like x 2
  11. taz98spin

taz98spin Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 13, 2011
    NYC
    I can't wait to get my hands on my OM-D!
    But Amazon has yet to give me an estimated date..:frown:

But as of right now, I have the X-Pro1 & couldn't be happier!

As asaulo1 posted, here is a SOOC shot handheld wide open at 1.4.

Would have preferred to have shot in the sun, but the weather turned pretty nasty and started drizzling, so had to shoot in my apartment hallway,
    but overall her skin tone turned out pleasing (at least to me :smile: )

7081179413_d6a503e5f8_c.
    Kay SOOC by Taz Spin, on Flickr

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Personally for me, the 5 axis IBIS/IS in the EVF is revolutionary. I don't really care for high ISO (I have a D3 for that), The new Olympus IBIS is the most unique and coolest thing right now.

• Like Like x 3
  13. gsciorio

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    Yeah the IBIS wowed me hard. Very very cool!

14. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I agree with the first statement but I'm a lot less sure about the second one! :biggrin:

I just see so many people on brand or system specific forums get so lost in the echo chamber that they really believe their cameras are the be all / end all solution to ALL photographic needs and anyone who decided to buy something different is something between an idiot and a leper. I'm sure I went off too hard on Giulio, but I'm pretty sensitive to that type of universal language. I do the same everywhere, btw. On the Fuji forum, there are people who slag off m43 as worthless crap and I always sing its praises. There's too much grabbing onto what our cameras do well and minimizing the importance of what they do badly to justify why its the "BEST"!

The AF speed on the X-Pro 1 is about where m43 was with the GF1, which doesn't suck! But is not nearly as good as m43 is today. I think the people who get most frustrated with the X-Pro 1 are used to modern cameras that are so fast you just point and shoot and count on the camera to get it right. I've spent my whole life half-pressing to achieve focus and THEN releasing the shutter, which I do on even my faster AF cameras. Thus, there's not a huge difference to me. And I use zone focus for the stuff I need to be really quick on anyway and there the Fuji's better high ISO performance is more of a help (in marginal and low light) than m43's faster AF.

BUT, the EM5 looks like it will probably be the absolute best tool for me for shooting in good light and for inducing motion blur with crystal clear backgrounds in moderate to low light. Not to mention its versatility with the bag full of m43 glass I have! So I really want one and see it as a real advance. The X-Pro 1 came first. The EM5 will be second, but I honestly see selling everything else other than maybe a compact and using these two cameras for everything. I gotta have some variety to keep it interesting!

I look at the EM5 as the great but sort of budget sports car - the Mazda 3 turbo or the VW STI models (is that what they're called?) or the mini-cooper. Awesome little cars that are quick, fun, tossable, good for most things but lacking in the top end performance compared to the big guns. And I see the X-Pro 1 as the really nice BMW 5 series or pretty nice Mercedes - basically luxury cars with PLENTY of performance built in. Any serious car enthusiast would like to have both (I'm not one BTW - I drive a paid off Honda Fit, which is why I indulge my camera GAS), not to mention the absolute no compromise Ferarri even if it breaks down a lot (maybe that's the Leica?).

I think Kai pretty much got it right when he said that "all 3 cameras are quite brilliant in their own little way". The Nex actually sounds like it may be the best compromise by their standards - by mine its just the least interesting of the three. But I'm seeing some great shooting from Nex owners, which is really all that matters in the end! I love the X-Pro 1. I'm sure I'll also love the EM5. Neither is the best. For everyone.

In my opinion! :cool:

-Ray

15. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I do care for high ISO a LOT (I have an X-Pro 1 for that!) but I agree that the IBIS on the EM5 is incredible. I did a couple of test shots when I played with one at B&H that were sort of mind boggling. Tack sharp 1/2 second exposures with perfect sharpness in lettering across the sales floor but complete ghosts of people walking through the scene. Absolutely amazing!

I've more or less given up on the perfect camera for my quirky needs, but its getting easier than ever to find a perfect combination in just a couple of cameras or systems now. These are fine times to be into cameras...

-Ray

• Like Like x 2
  16. cpt000

cpt000 Mu-43 Regular

Mar 11, 2012
    IMO, the video is annoying. How can you compare 2 large sensor cameras with mounted primes against the E-M5 & its KIT lens? They should have at least mounted the 45mm or 25mm to be fair. And despite the difference, the AF on the E-M5 is faster than the Xpro.

17. Ray Sachs

Apr 17, 2010
    Near Philadephila
    I don't think the lens really mattered much for what they were testing. If the slow aperture got in the way of achieving a reasonable shutter speed at the ISO's they were testing, then blur from slow shutter speeds would have been a problem. But they weren't really testing in lighting that was all that low. So all they were really testing was high ISO performance in somewhat decent light. And the difference in ISO performance is pretty readily apparent. I don't think the lens used in the test puts the camera at a disadvantage there, assuming it can still get proper exposure...

-Ray

18. asaulo1

asaulo1 Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 21, 2012
    it wouldn't be fun at all if such a "perfect" camera did exist. If that was the case, we all wouldn't have GAS "gadget acquisition syndrome" which is quite fun by itself. For me, my current lineup fits the bill... For the moment, anyway....

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43 App

• Like Like x 1
  19. songs2001

songs2001 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 8, 2011
    The Olympus 12-50 is the fastest focusing lens in m43 with the EM5. It wouldn't be fair to put a 45 or 25, it wouldn't show off the fast AF capability of the Olympus and if they really wanted to test the low light compared to a Sony, they would've mounted the 12 2.0.

Also this isn't a test about which camera does better at a low light level. It's a high iso test, if they put a 25 or 45, they would still would shoot at each ISO level and compare at each ISO.

They also tested the frames per second, the Olympus won that, lower light EVF, Olympus won that, will it fit in pants pocket, Olympus won that as well.

They also have said that the Samsung sensor is garbage high iso compared to M43 even though it was a larger sensor camera.

So just because having a larger sensor doesn't mean it will win.

20. David A

David A Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 30, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    How can you compare…?

Easy. You can compare anything you like, but why not compare 3 recent, highly hyped, highly anticipated mirrorless cameras? I've seen more than enough talk here from time to time with people trying to decide which of 2 or all 3 of these cameras to buy. That in itself makes it a reasonable comparison because people have been asking which one to buy.

As for the lenses, the Fuji is sold with the prime they used as a kit, the zoom on the E-M5 is the new kit lens option for it so that makes them reasonable choices. Don't know about the lens they used on the NEX-7 since I haven't been too interested in the NEX range personally.

As for the autofocus speed of the E-M5 and zoom, the current Olympus kit zooms are optimised for use with the E-P3 and I suspect the 12-50 was optimised for use with the E-M5. There's nothing at all surprising about the speed of the autofocus of that lens with the E-M5 and the XPro1 has had comments about slow autofocus and autofocus issues in every review it has received. The comparison of autofocus speeds in the video produced an entirely predictable result, as I suspect DigitalRev knew before they did it. They were simply providing a visual comparison of how each is known to perform, just as every other aspect of that video demonstrated things everyone already knew.

The whole point of the video in my view—a fun look at 3 popular cameras in a common situation to highlight some differences in a humorous way. I doubt it will persuade anyone thinking of buying one of those cameras before watching the video to swap to a different one, and I doubt they expected it to do that. It may help crystallise the thinking of someone who was undecided about one of those cameras but I don't think it will achieve much of that. If anything, I think it's more likely to confirm the choices that the already decided have made than help anyone undecided to make up their mind. In my view they simply decided it was a fun idea to do that sort of comparison and then went out of their way to have some fun doing it.

I enjoyed the video immensely, and it didn't change my mind on anything. I hope I get the call from my camera store to pick up my E-M5 and 12-50 zoom today or tomorrow. My mind was made up some time ago.