1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Digital Zoom or Ex. Tele Conv on a G3? What's the Difference?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by wanjeyin, Oct 4, 2011.

1. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    Hi all,

(Apologies if this has been covered. A link would be helpful if it has been discussed.)

Can anybody help explain what the differences are and what situations would you use the "Digital Zoom" vs. the "Ex Tele Conversion" features on a G3?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but here what I gather:

Digital Zoom - The camera crops the central portion of the image captured by the sensor and upsamples it (or "blows it up") to the resolution chosen in the "Picture Size" chosen (eg. 16 MP or other).

Extra Tele Conversion - Only available if a "Picture Size" OTHER than the maximum is chosen. For example, if a 8 MP picture size is chosen, the camera captures only the central 8 MP portion and does not do any additional processing.

Aren't the two essentially doing the same thing i.e. zooming?

What am I missing? And under what circumstances would the two be used? Which would emulate an actual teleconverter?

Thanks kindly (while scratching my head)!

Regards,
    AJW

2. Kevin

Kevin Mu-43 Regular

Aug 25, 2011
    Vancouver, Canada
    I'd like to know the answer to this too.

The way I understood it (and I'm probably wrong) was the Ex Tele Conv is just cropping part of the larger image but not manipulating it in any way while Digital Zoom is doing some sort of manipulation to 'zoom in'.

3. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Digital zoom essentially bins the pixels to provide the effect of zooming in. Pixel pitch suffers.

Ex tele essentially increases the crop factor, so while the resolution is lower, the pixel pitch is still the same. The argument is that this reduces the "jaggies" and results in a smoother looking image.

With the advent of ex tele conv I don't see why you would use digital zoom

4. wanjeyin

wanjeyin Mu-43 Regular

Mar 1, 2011
    Excellent, so it seems then Ex Tele is the way to go instead of the digital zoom! I'll modify my settings accordingly!

Thanks!

Regards,
    AJW

5. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    Or up-res in Photoshop and crop. I suspect this will produce better results than the in-camera crop. In any case, I'd compare the two before assuming ex-tele is the best approach.

6. runner girl

runner girl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 26, 2011
    Ex. Tele Conv. How to Use???

So... I have set this to "on" for regular photos but can't see any difference between the photos with it on or off in the P setting. Am I missing something here?

7. Hauki

Hauki Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2011
    Somerset, England
    You need to change the picture setting from large to medium for the teleconverter to work, hope this helps.

8. runner girl

Nov 26, 2011
    I did that but don't see any difference...

9. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Then try other modes other than P.

In any case I'm using the ex tele con for extra zoom. Like the result thus far. It is better than digital zoom.

10. runner girl

Nov 26, 2011
    Thanks. I am about to give up on this. It won't work in any mode I've tried - IA, IA+, SCN, P, A... I must be doing something wrong. I have things set for JPEG and medium image size...

Perhaps someone can direct me to some instructions - save the lame manual.

11. runner girl

Nov 26, 2011
    OK. Got it now. Not sure how, though.

12. Hauki

Hauki Mu-43 Regular

Dec 5, 2011
    Somerset, England
    glad you got it sorted. I leave the teleconverter switched on and just switch between L and M in pic size when I require it

13. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    X2

14. sin77

sin77 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Same here. But going into menu for certain features such as these at times are quite troublesome.