Digital Rev TV's E-P3 Hands-on Review

Mu-43 Legend
Thanks for sharing!! Kai is getting a little long in his reviews, and drifts to pointless in the middle, but he still does some nice demoing of shooting on the street.

A really good view and feel of the actual AF speed. It looks very nice. I've got a pre-order on everything new right now, and I was thinking of canceling my pre-order on the EP3 (and go with the EPL3 instead). Now I'm confused again!

KS11

Mu-43 Veteran
digitalrev is the only camera review channel i ever catch, kind of reminiscent of bbc's top gear (which i think that's the image they are going for anyways)

irrelevant, biased, silly, but entertaining. the previous review of the nex c3 was also interesting.

Alanroseman

Super Moderator Emeritus
I have to say Kai is my favorite...

I always enjoy his stroll about's with the camera. Maybe a little long winded in the middle as WT21 points out, but I really don't mind.

Alan

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
Thanks for sharing!! Kai is getting a little long in his reviews, and drifts to pointless in the middle, but he still does some nice demoing of shooting on the street.

A really good view and feel of the actual AF speed. It looks very nice. I've got a pre-order on everything new right now, and I was thinking of canceling my pre-order on the EP3 (and go with the EPL3 instead). Now I'm confused again!

IF all the top right side buttons on the EPL3 are fully customizable, the EPL3 is the way to go for me. The swivel LCD is a major asset for sneaky street photography.

Mu-43 Legend
You're right Armanius, the tilt LCD is sweet, sweet, sweet. I really like the thumbwheel on the EP1, though. And the nicer OLD LCD on the EP3 seems great. Luckily, these things aren't all coming at once!

12mm, then the EP3, then the 45mm, then the EPL3. I'm going to be trying each as the come, and deciding what stays/goes. But I'm starting to wonder if I don't want white bodies instead of the silver. The white looks pretty nice...

Mu-43 Legend
I have to say Kai is my favorite...

I always enjoy his stroll about's with the camera. Maybe a little long winded in the middle as WT21 points out, but I really don't mind.

Alan

Hi Alan,

I agree especially that out of the youtube/video set, Kai is king. No ones even close. But I do like SLRGear and even DPR's write ups for their comprehensiveness. Still, Kai is entertaining and somewhat informative. Always worth a click and watch.

Armanius

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Muttley
You're right Armanius, the tilt LCD is sweet, sweet, sweet. I really like the thumbwheel on the EP1, though. And the nicer OLD LCD on the EP3 seems great. Luckily, these things aren't all coming at once!

12mm, then the EP3, then the 45mm, then the EPL3. I'm going to be trying each as the come, and deciding what stays/goes. But I'm starting to wonder if I don't want white bodies instead of the silver. The white looks pretty nice...

White!!! Too bad they don't make white lenses as well!

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I'd decided on the EPL3 but I gotta say the touchscreen on the EP3 looks rather enticing. I think if you're holding the camera in front of you at about chest level and looking at it without a finger near the shutter button, and use the touchscreen to trigger the AF and exposure, that could be plenty discrete. Although having the touchscreen on a tilt screen would be the best of all worlds, that one is at least another generation away. And I think the touchscreen could be just as effective for discrete street shooting. I had a touchscreen on the GH2 and never liked it, but this one looks a good deal more sensitive to touch, rather than requiring a press...

I'm gonna be real interested in how loud these shutters are. The X100 is dead silent and the Nex sounds a bit like the slamming of a very small door. I know the EPL3 has a new shutter and the EP3 uses the same shutter they've been using - I wonder if one is quieter than the other.

That video, in addition to being very entertaining, gives me something to think about.

-Ray

Ray Sachs

Super Moderator
I get your point, meaning Olympus

but does the G2 not do that already?

Yeah it does. As does the GH2 - I had one until a few days ago. But I never liked either the fold OUT screen of the G-series cameras (much prefer the simpler tilt UP screen of the Nex and EPL3) and I never liked the touchscreen on the GH2 either. It required a real press and I found it kind of finicky. Everything I've read about the Oly implementation is that its truly touch sensitive rather than press-sensitive, which could make a big difference. Hard to say for sure, I might not like the Oly version either, in which case I should clearly just get the EPL3, but I have a feeling I'm gonna have to at least check out an EP3 and see how it feels in use.

-Ray

starlabs

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Hiep
The Panasonic touch screens are resistive - meaning pressure is required to use them. Slightly harder to touch activate them by accident, but the big plus is if you're wearing gloves (say, rough outdoor conditions); they'll still work.

The touchscreen on the E-P3 is capacitive, meaning a light touch is all that is needed to activate, similar to the iPhone. The one on the E-P3 doesn't seem to be multi-touch though.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I get your point, meaning Olympus

but does the G2 not do that already?

Yes it does.

...I agree with Ray however I'm not a big fan of the touch screen implementation on the G2. It's not like the touch screen on the iPhone or iPad which has really become the gold standard of what we expect in a touch screen (even Kai mentions that the E-P3's touch screen isn't like the iPhone). Then again I'm not sure I want a touch screen on my camera at all. The holding of the camera at arms length has always felt clumsy to me. Now, I LOVE the G2's rotating LCD. I don't think I'd trade it for a NEX style flip up. Everyone is different though so I can see what some might prefer it.

drd1135

Zen Snapshooter
Real Name
Steve
Good video. I find him amusing, but I really like seeing him try to shoot with the camera and then the results. I have mixed feelings about the touch screen. The single touch focus-and-fire looks really fast, but I know from my iPod touch that I can be a bit fumble fingered. Like Kai, I think I'd actually miss the target and hit the background. Still, it looks like it has really fast response and that's almost everything in a street camera.

emoslaughter

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Douglas French
I love Digital Rev and I loved this! I want an E-P3 soooo bad! Being an adult with bills sucks. Perhaps after some price drops.

taz98spin

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I love Digital Rev and I loved this! I want an E-P3 soooo bad! Being an adult with bills sucks. Perhaps after some price drops.

I totally agree.. If it weren't for the bills, I would totally have jumped on the pre-order for the E-P3!! :frown:

Latest threads

Top Bottom