Digital Rev in the News

Discussion in 'The Watering Hole' started by digitalandfilm, Apr 3, 2013.

1. tol1l1yboy

tol1l1yboy Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 12, 2013
  2. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
    I bought a d600 "new" from amazon (not a marketplace seller or amazon warehouse deals. i received a definitely used camera--all the packaging was removed and it was obvious the camera had been used. It can happen with any retailer and it's not like there's an equivalent to Kai & Co. from amazon.
  3. WT21

WT21 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 19, 2010
    Interesting. But the story also includes a site called where you can plug in your serial number of your camera, and it sees if it can find pics taken with your camera.

is it dangerous in any way to put your cam s/n into a web form like that? Could someone use the s/n for something? I buy used equipment a lot, so this would be pretty interesting to try.
  4. digitalandfilm

digitalandfilm Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 18, 2011
  5. sokar

sokar Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 30, 2011
    Poor business practices. Great to see they were caught out. An adequate response from the company in question, but they have probably lost a few customers, and deservedly so. Maybe his next attempt at a humurous video will have 2 degrees less arrogance and 3 degrees additional humbleness. Doubtful.
  6. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Kind of sad and kind of funny. The thing is Digital Rev is missing the boat! As popular as their video reviews are I bet they could make extra selling the reviewed camera/lenses but listing them as such. "This is the Canon that Kai sweated all over!" :biggrin:
  7. zapatista

zapatista Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 19, 2012
    Denver, Colorado, USA
  8. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I don't care for DigitalRev prices. I'm sure they're more competitive in countries that have higher rates. For the US though, they're not price competitive at all.
  9. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    When supplies are low and you got a real case of GAS, you can count on Hong Kong vendors.

No joke.
  10. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    DugitalRev were also the perpetrator of a serial number scam. People had bought 5diiis and then had cause to take them to Canon for repair. Canon discovered that the serial number labels were fake and differed from the serial numbers in the cameras' internal memories. DR never really explained why, but they accepted the cameras for replacement - essential really since Canon refused to do any work on them. At best it was an attempt to hide the origin of the cameras and avoid gray market issues. At worst, it could have been stolen goods.

My take away message is that DR are not to be trusted.
  11. Just Jim

Just Jim Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 20, 2011
    Hmm.. I'd be curious too.
  12. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
  13. AceAceBaby

AceAceBaby Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2013
    I put my 30D serial into it, because that was stolen last year (so nothing to lose from my perspective). It only found one of my flickr photos, but it did find it. :)