Different sensor, electronics, ect in newer GH1's?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by johnny9fingers, Apr 23, 2011.

1. johnny9fingers

johnny9fingers Mu-43 Veteran

The speculation has been tossed around a bit, that the newer GH1's are different than the earlier versions. Such as a different version sensor, improved processing engine, perhaps a different shutter. Is there any truth to them?
    Just curious,
  2. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

I don't think so

Na, no truth to this. Making hardware changes during production would likely be a huge cost to any manufacturer. I've been told by reputable sources that some changes were made to prevent the firmware hacking that was going on. In some cases the hacking resulted in destroying the Venus engine and voiding the warranty. I doubt these changes would change the performance.

Makes sense, if you run the video engine harder, it runs hotter and at some point something has to give up.
  3. johnny9fingers

Thanks Wasabi Bob. That makes sense to me..... I hope to have a GH1 soon and have been weighing the merits/problems hacking would cause. I would hate to take a capable camera, hack it to increase the video capability, only to cause damage in the long run....
  4. mauve

mauve Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2010
    Paris, France
    As with most hacks, if you are responsible and if you stay within reason nothing bad should happen. Those I read who experienced problems really tried hard before succeeding in destroying the camera.

This said, I wouldn't hack the camera 1st thing. You may find the original settings perfectly fit your needs, and hacking it further would be pointless to you. If you're already happy with the camera as sold (especially if you're not subject to the time limit imposed by UE regulations), why bother ? Knowing the camera is hackable, even if you don't do it yourself, on the other hand, may increase resale value.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    As with most things, moderation is the key.

Obviously, the company wants zero warranty claims, and has to plan for all environmental conditions, so they play very safe. IMHO, it's safe to run a slightly "hotter" bitrate, but the farther you go, the bigger the risk.

Is hacked GH1 still better than GH2?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. johnny9fingers

I don't know if it's better, and I would like to get the GH2 but money is tight. I will heed the advice given here and learn to used the GH1 as is before considering hacking the camera.
  7. Wasabi Bob

Wasabi Bob Mu-43 Top Veteran

Just consider this

From user feedback posted elsewhere, the cost to replace the Venus engine (with labor) was ~$700. If you consider that the GH2 increased the bit rate to the full official AVCHD spec, and it required a new Venus engine to do so, that tells me that the improvement was more than firmware.

Some of us like to believe that the manufacturer intentionally holds back on performance, leaving room for future upgrades. While I sometimes subscribe to that theory, in this case I believe that it's more about conservatively designing a product to provide the most reliable operation.

Capturing single frames of video and pixel peeping them is rather ridiculous considering that it's now how we view the finished product.
    • Like Like x 1