Differences between G and GH?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by jay395, Apr 7, 2012.

1. jay395

jay395 Mu-43 Rookie

Apr 7, 2012
    hi i was wondering if anyone could tell me the differences between g series and gh series. I have the g3 but like the added controls on top of the gh2. will these be added to the new model to the g3 or will i have to switch. I use my camera for photos mainly.

thanks jay
  2. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    The GH is Panasonic's top of the line model. The G line used to have the same top controls but was simplified with the G3. It looks like the G5 (successor to your G3) will also maintain the minimal control design.
  3. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    Hard to say until the features of the GH3 are released, but it seems like Panny is diverging the G and GH lines more and more with each addition to these series. I doubt they're going to add more manual controls to the G5, and in fact they may well remove some of the remaining ones and move them to the touchscreen menus.

I had a chance to handle and play with the GH2 and G3 (and decided on the GH2, which I'll be getting in the mail today). The G3 is substantially smaller than the GH2, and doesn't feel as solid somehow. The GH2 has a noticeably larger magnification ratio in the EVF (things really do look a lot larger). The manual controls of the GH2 are what really won me over, and again, I seriously doubt we'll see those added back to the G5. The sensor is also apparently a bit different - you can choose a 16x9 aspect ratio without losing pixels. I believe it also has better dynamic range than the G3. The GH2 also has some other video-only features (framerates and such) that I don't care about.

Pure speculation here - I think the GH3 will keep all the controls, but be incrementally better than the GH2. It may add one key feature to compete with Igor (E-M5), like weather sealing or (hopefully?) IBIS. The G5 will probably be like the G3, but incrementally better.
  4. pcake

pcake Mu-43 Regular

May 3, 2010
    i got to handle the GH2 and the G3 at stores and liked 'em both. i ended up ordering both, but i actually sent back the GH2. it was a hard decision, but the G3 is very comfortable for me, and the low light pics looked better. if the GH3 ups the pic quality, i'll get it as an addition, since i like the video features and options, and the controls on the GH2, and it's also comfy in the hand.

5. speltrong

speltrong Mu-43 Veteran

May 8, 2011
    Northern California
    I have big hands, so the GH2 was actually more comfortable, but that's really a personal preference.

As far as the low-light shots go - were you shooting RAW or jpeg?