1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Differences between E-M5 II and E-M10 II

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by drd1135, Sep 16, 2015.

1. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    From what I can see, the major differences are that the EM5 has better video features, the 40 mp hi-res mode, and weather sealing. Is this correct? Thanks.

2. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I don't think the 10 has the same, latest 'n greatest, IBIS as the 5II. Probably the same as the E-M1.

• Informative Informative x 1
  3. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    My tally of the feature differences:

E-M5 Mark II:

Better construction (more rugged/weather sealing)
    High Rez mode
    Better EVF
    Faster FPS
    Better IBIS
    Better video
    Tilt-swivel flash
    More customizable
    Bigger buffer (not sure about this, but I assume it's true)

E-M10 Mark II:

Much cheaper
    Pop-up flash
    AF Trackpad

I'm debating between the two as well. I had the e-m10ii for a couple of days, and then the news hit about the lens mount issue. So I returned it to wait out the bad batches. But in the meantime, I've gotten hooked on the e-m5ii. I'm leaning towards the latter, but then I pause when I think about the price difference. It's hard to justify the $350 difference between the two bodies, especially because I already have the Panny GH4 (which ticks off the improved video and weather sealing columns for me).

Anyway, good luck on whatever you decide. I think they are both great cameras, so I don't think we can make the wrong decision between the two. :)

4. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I didn't realize the finders are different. 2.36 Mdots each but a different magnification/eye-point/psychic power, etc. The LCDs are also different, in that the EM10 is tilt-only and the EM5 is full swivel. Right now, the different is $350, which is not quite enough to make it an obvious deal-breaker. Fortunately, I don't even pretend I'm completely practical in these matters. After all, my car cost 25X as much and color was a major decision issue. I really like tilt only LCD (comparing to my Panasonic bodies) but I won't make my decision based on that. Really, I won't . . .

Last edited: Sep 17, 2015
  5. Yong

Yong Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2014
    Don't forget 2X2 control dial and traditional DOF preview button located on front side of the camera. They can make big differences for some people.

6. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I have both the E-M5 II and the E-M10 II, and other than the obvious features differences, ie; weather sealing vs not, articulating screen or tilt, added fn buttons on the M5 II, etc., the differences are pretty subtle. The E-M5 II viewfinder is less contrasty than the M10 II, the E-M5 II is a little wider giving some additional space in the control dial area (better for larger hands, the E-M5 II shoots at low burst/EFC at 5 fps and the E-M10II shoots at about 4.3 fps, the E-M5 II shutter sound is wonderful vs just very nice for the E-M10.

I like them both. I bought the E-M5 II to replace my Panasonic GX7. If the E-M10 II were available at the time I made that swap, I might have chosen the E-M10 II. I do prefer the tilt screen so that would have been the main reason to opt for the M10 II.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Scotsman

Scotsman Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 13, 2013
    √Čtats-Unis
    Dave
    E-M5ii - 1/8000 sec top mechanical shutter speed

E-M10ii - 1/4000 sec top mechanical shutter speed

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. MarkyM

MarkyM Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    Ohio
    My EM10II turned out to be in the range of serial numbers with the lens locking pin defect.

Instead of exchanging it for another 10II, I ended up upgrading to the 5II and couldn't be happier!

I got the Fotodiox grip and there is nothing to remove or unscrew to get to the battery. Since I don't need the headphone jack or the extra shutter button on top of the grip, I think the much cheaper Fotodiox is going to work out great.

• Like Like x 2
  9. WilburNJ

WilburNJ Mu-43 Regular

Dec 30, 2012
    MarkyM, I did exactly the same thing. Returned my EM10ii (because of the lens mount issue) and ended up just getting the EM5ii yesterday. I'm going to take it for a ride today (my girls' soccer game). Thinking of getting the grip too, but I'll see how comfortable it is "naked." :)

Best,

Will

• Like Like x 1
  10. MarkyM

MarkyM Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    Ohio
    Sounds good! Let us know how it went at the soccer game.

I'll be taking mine to the zoo today. We'll see how it gets along with the 100-300.

11. Linh

Linh Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 14, 2009
    Maryland, US
    Am I the only one who feels the AF Touchpad is underrated (yes, I know, you Panasonic users have had this for a while now; yes, I'm jealous)? I would think they could port this in FW to the E-M5 II, but I would personally love this. That's assuming it works the same way as the Panasonic where I can control all the points from a small section of the screen.

It's not enough to sway me as I like the magnification of the EVF in the E-M5 II as well as the fully articulating LCD and not having to have different batteries than my E-M5 mkI. But it is hard to justify the price differences right now... not to mention the discounted E-M1, but size is a factor there.

12. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I hope they leave it off! I hate this thing on my E-M10 II, and so far I've not found out how to disable it permanently. Just an inadvertent double nose tap on the screen and back it comes. I'd really appreciate it if someone would tell me where to set the menu so this thing NEVER comes back.

13. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    So......eating my own words, today I purchased a used E-M5 II at a good price and sent my defective lens mount E-M10 II back for a refund from B & H.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. MedicineMan4040

MedicineMan4040 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 2, 2015
    East TN
    Robert
    m10ii should arrive later this afternoon.
    I bought knowing of the lens defect.
    Please correct me if I'm summated the problem incorrectly by my take
    is the problem is with lenses with plastic mounts ????
    Between me and the better half we have 17 mFT lenses and I cannot
    find one with a plastic mount. What am I missing?

This will be my first Olympus! The better half has the OMD-M5ii so when it
    starts raining she can take over :) Actually I also have a GX8 and can continue
    with it when the drops fall.

One question for m10ii owners.
    Do you think the Fotodiox metal grip will fit the mk ii version of the m10 ??
    I can only find it for the first generation.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2015
  15. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I was strongly considering the E-M10 II but went for the M5 II. The unavailability of the new M10 probably influenced my decision more than I want to admit. I suspect a deliberate conspiracy on the part of Olympus and my id.

16. mario23

mario23 Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    FL
    Wanting to upgrade from my e-m10 but can't decide!
    I like the features on the 5 better but the size of the 10 is intriguing.

17. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    Have/had both the 10 II and the 5 II; there is really very little difference in size, go for the 5 II.

18. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    We have the E-M5 II and the E-M10 I. How is the handling compare between the E-M10 II and E-M5 II? And, if you have handled the E-M10 I how does the handling compare between the E-M10 I and II?

19. MarkyM

MarkyM Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 27, 2013
    Ohio
    Same here. Highly recommend the EM-5II!

20. gary0319

gary0319 Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 26, 2014
    Sarasota FL
    I had an E-M10 and the E-M10 II. The E-M5 II is, for me a better handling camera, all around.

One of the biggest differences is the elimination of the track pad focusing on the 5 II ( I hated it on the GX7 and hated it even more on the 10 II). I've repurposed the "preview" button on the front of the 5 II to bring up the focusing grid in the EVF and can quickly change the location of the focus point with the front/rear dials. The additional FN buttons on the 5 II are great and the 1/2 lever to switch to change the ISO is really handy. There are more to like as others will point out, but these are some things that most don't mention.

Now.........I do prefer the tilt screen on the 10 and 10II to the articulated one on the 5 II

• Like Like x 1