Difference using Movement and Motion

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Robert Watcher, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

The problem is that I have so many nice shots of nighttime fair rides and family shots from all of the family fair days over the past 13 years. I am always looking for a different slant of the same thing.

This year I decided to use motion and movement to give a different look.

1) Different look by moving the camera at the end of the long exposure.

I didn't have a tripod for the 4 second exposure at 200 ISO with my E-PL1 and 14-42 kit lens - - - so set my eyeglasses on the ground to get this low angle - and cradled the lens in the nose notch so I wouldn't just be shooting ground. To minimize camera shake while taking the shot, I used a 2 sec. delay on the self timer.

The same shot without camera movement is included underneath:

EP151549.

EP151550.

2) For this portrait of my daughter and her family at the end of the night - - - I decided to use the built-in flash of my Olympus E-PL1 with 14-42 kit lens. At weddings, I have used techniques utilizing higher ISO settings and longer exposures.

And so for this shot, I chose 1000 ISO and 1/8 second and told the family to stay as still as possible. My first attempt was OK, but kind of boring with the steel structures in behind. And so I took a couple more shots where I waited for the roller coaster to come around the curve and fill the background with some blur. While a longer exposure may have been preferable for even more blur - 1/8 second was even asking too much to keep the subjects still enough when letting ambient light some through.

The same shot without motion in the background is included underneath:

EP151527.

EP151528.

• Like Like x 8
  2. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    Very nice, I especially like the family shot with motion behind, it really sets it apart from a typical group shot and makes it really dynamic

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Robert,
    Really awesome stuff here - thanks for the insight! :thumbup:

4. That's pretty impressive - I'd never have thought such low shutter speeds could work for portraits!

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not sure I really like the first example BUT I love the second! Showing the family in focus with a motion blurred background gives the correct "feel" of the event!
    :thumbup:

6. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    I would agree. I think the family shot is way better with the motion, an excellent shot, but I'm kinda on the fence with the first. Thanks for the info.

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There you go painting with light ...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.