Difference using Movement and Motion

Discussion in 'Street, Documentary, and Portrait' started by Robert Watcher, Sep 16, 2013.

1. Robert Watcher

Robert Watcher Mu-43 Top Veteran

The problem is that I have so many nice shots of nighttime fair rides and family shots from all of the family fair days over the past 13 years. I am always looking for a different slant of the same thing.

This year I decided to use motion and movement to give a different look.

1) Different look by moving the camera at the end of the long exposure.

I didn't have a tripod for the 4 second exposure at 200 ISO with my E-PL1 and 14-42 kit lens - - - so set my eyeglasses on the ground to get this low angle - and cradled the lens in the nose notch so I wouldn't just be shooting ground. To minimize camera shake while taking the shot, I used a 2 sec. delay on the self timer.

The same shot without camera movement is included underneath:

EP151549.

EP151550.

2) For this portrait of my daughter and her family at the end of the night - - - I decided to use the built-in flash of my Olympus E-PL1 with 14-42 kit lens. At weddings, I have used techniques utilizing higher ISO settings and longer exposures.

And so for this shot, I chose 1000 ISO and 1/8 second and told the family to stay as still as possible. My first attempt was OK, but kind of boring with the steel structures in behind. And so I took a couple more shots where I waited for the roller coaster to come around the curve and fill the background with some blur. While a longer exposure may have been preferable for even more blur - 1/8 second was even asking too much to keep the subjects still enough when letting ambient light some through.

The same shot without motion in the background is included underneath:

EP151527.

EP151528.

• Like Like x 8
  2. BeyondTheLines

BeyondTheLines Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2012
    Spain/USA
    Patrick
    Very nice, I especially like the family shot with motion behind, it really sets it apart from a typical group shot and makes it really dynamic

3. RT_Panther

RT_Panther Mu-43 Legend

May 4, 2011
    Texas
    Robert,
    Really awesome stuff here - thanks for the insight! :thumbup:

4. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

That's pretty impressive - I'd never have thought such low shutter speeds could work for portraits!

5. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Not sure I really like the first example BUT I love the second! Showing the family in focus with a motion blurred background gives the correct "feel" of the event!
    :thumbup:

6. emptysensor

emptysensor Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 8, 2011
    Virginia
    Joe
    I would agree. I think the family shot is way better with the motion, an excellent shot, but I'm kinda on the fence with the first. Thanks for the info.

7. RobWatson

RobWatson Mu-43 Hall of Famer

There you go painting with light ...