Difference(s) in similar lenses - Panasonic vs Olympus

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by gengo, Aug 12, 2014.

1. gengo

gengo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    So Panasonic does in lens stabilization and and Olympus does in body stabilization.

But beyond that, what are the fundamental differences / benefits of the two different paths:

Panasonic has a 12-35 f/2.8 and a 35-100 f/2.8

Olympus has a 12-40 f/2.8 and the upcoming 40-150 f/2.8

The P12-35 and the O12-40 seem to be the same price, but the Oly covers a larger range. It seems likely that the O40-150 f/2.8 will have a similar cost as the P35-100 f/2.8.

Is the Panasonic considered a sharper, or better in some other way?
  2. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    The differences beyond stabilization are not huge. Each lens has some optical strengths and weaknesses, as do all lenses, but nothing to really make one a better optic. Both perform pretty much as you expect from a lens at that price point. The Olympus does have a manual clutch if you like to manually focus lenses. The Panasonic is somewhat more compact, IIRC.

• Like Like x 1
  3. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    I prefer the Panasonic zooms I have used for one simple reason; the direction they zoom as I came from Nikon, I do think they could have agreed from the start to have things like zoom direction go the same way between brands.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. EarthQuake

EarthQuake Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 30, 2013
    The Panasonic lenses are smaller and lighter in both cases. For the 12-35 vs 12-40 the difference isn't massive, so I went with the 12-40 due to the close focus ability.

The 35-100 looks to be about half the size (and I assume weight, but have no idea) as the 40-150 though, which is a big difference, so I will keep my 35-100.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. gengo

gengo Mu-43 Regular

May 12, 2014
    Thank you all. I started this hobby fairly recently and I still have much to learn.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    The good news is that both companies make good lenses. They have a different look and I can often recognize it, but I have a hard time describing the difference in words. Lots of image threads on the forum, however, and I would check them out before buying a particular lens.
  7. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    mainly size, weight, and coverage for the tele zoom

i think in optical rendering... generally the olympus is slightly better in terms of full frame sharpness, control of aberrations and distortions. although i dont care as much for these nit picking level detail differences

what does matter is functionally the olympus has the manual focus clutch with hard stops. that i do find quite useful
  8. vm666

vm666 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 19, 2013
    Not for all lenses. e.g. the pancakes lenses are not stabilized.

Both companies make some very good lenses.

One thing is not very clear for me: the MFT bodies are supposed to perform some corrections on the JPEG (dirtorsion at least) but I don't know if Olympus bodies correct images from Panasonic lenses (and vice versa). Only Panasonic bodies correct the chromatic aberrations if I understood correctly. I read once that Olympus lenses generally have less CA than Panasonic because of that.

9. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I agree, the way that the Panasonic lenses zoom just makes sense. You turn the lens to the right to zoom in, just like the saying "righty tighty lefty loosey", and as you turn right, your framing becomes tighter.
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Theo K.
    E-M10 and E-M1 correct CA for Panasonic lenses, thanks to the TruePic VII processor. However I found that the CA correction is more effective for newer Panasonic lenses than older ones. For instance, my E-M10 is very effective correcting for the 12-32, but not so well for PL25.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Mu-43 mobile app
    • Like Like x 1
  11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    David Dornblaser
    Yes, this came up in another recent thread with a poster implying that Olympus has eliminated CA from Panasonic lenses. It is certainly better with JPEGs with some lenses. I, too, continue some CA. It would be nice if someone did an exhaustive testing with all of Panasonic lenses on the E-M1/10 for us. :rolleyes: