Difference between Zuiko 12mm f2 and Zuiko 12mm ED f2 Limited Edition

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by letsgofishing, Mar 26, 2014.

1. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    Anyone know if there really is a difference between these 2 lenses besides the colour - the black is AWESOME ;)
    The "normal" 12mm is $599 and the "Limited Edition" is $899 (pomo prices on the Oly site)
  2. xdayv

xdayv Color Blind

Aug 26, 2011
    Tacloban City, Philippines
    Optically the same AFAIK. Color makes the difference.
  3. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Optically, there's no difference. The black one comes with a metal hood and lens cap, whereas the silver one does not.
  4. rfortson

rfortson Mu-43 Veteran

But it's a really, really nice lens hood and cap, apparently. :)
  5. jrsilva

jrsilva Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 1, 2012
    It must be the most expensive hood and lens cap I've ever know about :)
  6. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Honestly, this is right up there as one of the biggest rip-off's I have seen in all of my photography years. Charging $300 more for a lens colour and lens hood.... Wow, Olympus. Just wow. But yeah to answer your question OP, no difference except the lens hood + colour. I was actually surprised not see this Oly 12mm announced in black when the rest of the Oly primes were...
  7. SZRimaging

SZRimaging Mu-43 Regular

Nov 16, 2011
    The 45mm was in silver only at first, IIRC. When they released the black I believe it had a slight premium over the silver.
  8. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    No. MSRP for silver and black 45/1.8 was the same. Ditto every other lens save the 12/2. Most places list the black version of the 12/2 as discontinued. My guess is that Olympus is going to wait a bit and eventually release a black 12/2 at the same price as the silver one (or perhaps a 12/2 version II in both black and silver).
  9. rogergu

rogergu Mu-43 Regular

Feb 11, 2013
    AFAIK, all the limited edition are made in Japan; while the standard one is not always now, which used to be made in Japan at the beginning and moved to China later. Not sure if you care about this.
  10. Sammyboy

Sammyboy m43 Pro

Oct 26, 2010
    Steeler Country
    The 24 SE includes the hood and also a different lens cap and filter.
  11. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    I have said for some time that increasingly photography is priced by caché not functionality or cost to develop and market. Usually at those times people have retorted that it was somehow worth it to them

Besides Olympus isn't a charity, so if some wally reckons "pride of ownership" counts more ... well I suppose more power to Olympus
  12. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Just wait until the 12/2 LE sell out. Olympus will replace it with a new black SKU guaranteed, without the extras.

I would only care to get the black lenses that are plastic, 45/1.8, 25/1.8. Because the faux silver they have is kind of lame. That being said I have a silver 45/1.8.
  13. letsgofishing

letsgofishing Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 21, 2012
    South Africa
    Mike Kaplan
    So it's just a total rip-off....wonder how on earth Olympus thought they could get away with it.
    Would love to know what the sales vloumes are since release...
  14. MichaelShea

MichaelShea Mu-43 Regular

Jan 27, 2011
    Algarve, Portugal
    My own limited edition cost no more than the silver version in December 2012 because it was heavily discounted by amazon.co.uk. After an initial lack of interest, many of the European sets would have been sold that way. Mine was therefore a bargain, but I certainly wouldn't have paid the full price for it.
  15. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I don't know why Olympus doesn't make the 12mm in black a regular option! All their other lenses are now black or silver. Personally I hate the look of a silver lens on a black body.
  16. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Is it stupid that Olympus charges more for the black 12mm than they do for the silver 12mm? Absolutely. However it was indeed a success, since the initial allotment of them sold out. Recently, they made another small batch and it too sold out rather quickly.

I believe this was a test by Olympus to see if there was a market for black and silver versions of their lenses. Obviously there is, which is why Olympus offers every lens in either silver or black, with the exception of the 60 f/2.8, which only comes in black.

The 12mm is a wonderful lens, and I'm very happy to have one in black. It would have looked quite odd to have 2 black primes and 1 silver one, especially on my all black Panasonic G6.

17. lightmonkey

lightmonkey Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 22, 2013
    black absorbs more light and thus higher potential for thermal-induced physical distortion

although ive heard this is why Canon went White with their long lenses
  18. MassimoFoti

MassimoFoti Mu-43 Regular

Mar 27, 2014
    Lugano (Switzerland)
    I kind of like having Oly 12 in silver and Oly 17 in black, since their shape is quite similar, I can spot them easily based on the color :)

19. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    Price a lens hood for an Olympus 4/3s 90-250mm or the Nikon HK-38 for the AF-S NIKKOR 800mm VR lens.

Many may consider the price for the 12mm SE outrageous - but it seems as if some people do not.