1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Difference between these filters.HOYA vs HOYA and B&W vs B&W ?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PantelisMor, Feb 7, 2015.

1. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Seems to me from the Hoya website that the glass on the HD is harder.

2. usayit

usayit Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Often the high priced ones are sealed at the point where the polarizing glass rotates.

3. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    If it were me I wouold just get the Kaesemann. Great quality and weather sealed.

4. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM

Amen to that, Kaesemann MRC all the way. Kaesemann are edge-sealed and use better foils. They're not a "better" regular B+W polarizer, they are a different grade altogether. I'm not saying they are the ultimate best ever made, I just have no complaints whatsoever - not even the price, because it will likely be the last CPL you'll buy. One thing I might add is that you get the Ksm B+Ws in XSDP mount (slim) - vignetting can be an issue with wider lenses if your polariser is thick. This can make a huge difference.

Also - are you sure you're not going bigger than 62mm? The Oly 40-150/2.8 is 72mm. I assume this is for the 12-40: maybe get a 62-72 step up ring and get a 72mm filter - although check if it will fit inside the hood. CPL are usually the most expensive filters you buy so the more lenses you can use them on, the better. I have a set of rings all the way from 37 to 62, Kenko make (reasonably) nice, cheap ones.