Difference between these filters.HOYA vs HOYA and B&W vs B&W ?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by PantelisMor, Feb 7, 2015.

1. Seems to me from the Hoya website that the glass on the HD is harder.

2. Often the high priced ones are sealed at the point where the polarizing glass rotates.

3. rklepper

rklepper Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 19, 2012
    Iowa, USA
    Robert
    If it were me I wouold just get the Kaesemann. Great quality and weather sealed.

4. owczi

owczi nareteV 34-uM Subscribing Member

Amen to that, Kaesemann MRC all the way. Kaesemann are edge-sealed and use better foils. They're not a "better" regular B+W polarizer, they are a different grade altogether. I'm not saying they are the ultimate best ever made, I just have no complaints whatsoever - not even the price, because it will likely be the last CPL you'll buy. One thing I might add is that you get the Ksm B+Ws in XSDP mount (slim) - vignetting can be an issue with wider lenses if your polariser is thick. This can make a huge difference.

Also - are you sure you're not going bigger than 62mm? The Oly 40-150/2.8 is 72mm. I assume this is for the 12-40: maybe get a 62-72 step up ring and get a 72mm filter - although check if it will fit inside the hood. CPL are usually the most expensive filters you buy so the more lenses you can use them on, the better. I have a set of rings all the way from 37 to 62, Kenko make (reasonably) nice, cheap ones.