1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Difference between Sigma 30 mm lenses.

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by iamcanjim, Nov 2, 2014.

1. iamcanjim

iamcanjim Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 3, 2014
    Lacombe, Alberta
    What's the difference between the Sigma 30 mm DN ART and the DN EX? They look different (no smooth barrel on the EX) but are there other differences?

2. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    Nope, just cosmetic.
    GX1•EP1•GF3•17/2.8•30/2.8

3. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    I thought the new one accepted the hood & old one has to use filter threads?

4. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    the EX accepts hood also, not using filter threads.

I've only used the 19 ex and 60 art, they are quite different lenses so not comparable. but DXOMark is giving slightly better scores to the newer version.

5. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013

6. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    The 19mm EX accepts (and comes with) a hood. The 30mm Ex does not have a bayonet moun for a hood, and requires a filter thread hood if you want to use one.

• Like Like x 1
  7. HaViet

HaViet Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 20, 2014
    Hartford, CT
    In which situations would you use a hood?

8. jziegler

jziegler Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2012
    Salem County, New Jersey
    James
    It almost never hurts to use one (only if it would shadow an on camera flash, or get in the way of using a filter for example). They are beneficial to reduce flare if there is light coming in at an angle that the hood will block. Say that the sun is about 45degrees to your side, outside of the view of your frame, but that light could still be striking the lens causing flare. The hood may block that. Hoods also help to protect the lens. If you drop the lens/camera, the hood may bend/break, keeping the lens intact (happend to me once with a compact superzoom camera. The hood got a big crack through it, but the camera still worked. Without the hood, the lens could have broken).