1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Difference between Olympus 75-300mm series one and the series two

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mcrosa, Dec 23, 2013.

1. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    Does anyone know the difference between the series one and series two of this lens? Pros and cons?

Thanks,

2. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    Wow! 130 views with no comments. Oh Well.

Merry Christmas everybody!

Mike

3. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    I dont think there are any. Other than the v2 is cheaper. There were some discussions on the topic a few months back but nothing recent.

4. Aegon

Aegon Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 3, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Cosmetic differences, lower price for the new version.

$800 or whatever they wanted for the original version was fine in the early days of µ4/3, but in the current days of the Panasonic 100-300 going for $400 used Olympus decided to price their long zoom more reasonably.

5. photo_owl

photo_owl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2013
    the only major difference between the original 75-300 and the Mark 2 is that the newer version has the improved Zero lens coatings

6. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Jim
    Quote from DXO Mark:

"Compared with the lens it replaces, the addition of the firm’s ZERO lens coating appears to have improved the performance in several key areas. Not only is the DxOMark Score now at 10 points, versus eight for the older version, for many photographers the increase in sharpness from 4P-Mpix to 6P-Mpix is more significant. Not only that, but the new lens is brighter and has lower levels of chromatic aberration"

Source:

http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Olym...AL-ED-75-300mm-F4.8-6.7-II-versus-competition

Regards,

Jim

7. mcrosa

mcrosa Mu-43 Regular

Jun 26, 2013
    Miami, Florida
    Mike Crosa
    Thanks all for the info. I appreciate it.

8. dcisive

dcisive Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 19, 2010
    Salt Lake City, Utah
    Lee
    Well Having had BOTH I can feel comfortable saying that with the copies I have used, the newer version is less prone to flair and CA as well as being crisper wide open at the 300mm extension. I compared them side by side and this was my results. also I prefer the newer body style. It isn't bowed and is straight and a tad smaller in the middle. All in all the best option.