Did you ever own a Nikon FM/FE?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by SRHEdD, Dec 26, 2013.

1. SRHEdD

SRHEdD Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 24, 2011
    Viera, Florida USA
    If so, you'll get this.

I got into m4/3 when the E-PL2 came out. Love that camera. Just a good piece for not much money. I've fluctuated back and forth over the years, trying to permanently break my addiction to Nikon DSLRs. My Olys do just as well and are much more rewarding to shoot with. I loved my Nikons, but that was work, and now shooting is more for fun. I've had many Oly cameras, a couple of the E-PL2s, E-P2, E-M5, E-P5, and now have both the E-P5 and E-M1... and my E-P3. There is something about the E-P3 that just seems to be a perfect balance. Like grabbing my FM when I regularly shot with an F2/3/4/5, depending on the year. The FM was just reassuringly well built and always delivered. And it was simple. The E-P3 is that to me now. I'm trying to leave it home and forge that feeling with the E-P5, but so far I don't have the same experience or connection with it. Maybe that one shot will do it, I hope so. So many cameras these days are technically proficient but have no soul. You know what I mean, grabbing that "one" camera felt like old broken-in jeans or that tattered Domke bag, it became an extension of your eye and your hand at the same time. The E-P3 is the only m4/3 so far that comes close to that. I hope the E-M1 (or E-P5) comes half as close.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Exposed

Exposed Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2011
    Central Washington State
    Randy dawson
    Yes, I still have my Nikon FM2n. Use it from time to time. Also still have my Oly EPL-2 and kit lens. But, they share time with my Nikon D7000 and D300. I love the Oly but find it just cannot do the work my Nikons do, fast action and such. Looking to get the E-M5 after the first of the year with hopes of selling most of my Nikon gear but the D300. That camera, D300 is my goto DSLR. It works every time with no problems. The D7000 I have had for about a year and it still will not work the way I hoped it would. Photos are great but the focus is just not there. Been to Nikon repair for focus fix but still is just not up to my liking. Like you I have high hopes for the E-M5.
  3. Dalton

Dalton Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 24, 2010
    Portland, Oregon USA
    Dan Ferrall
    I have owned more cameras than I can think about and did indeed own an FM in the late '80s. It just felt good in the hands. I'm not a Nikon fan nor am I a detractor. It is a good company.
  4. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    I liked my FE, especially its meter was was very consistent. I enjoy my M4/3rd's lenses, but Ihave yet to find a body that I enjoy shooting with. It's great that we have so many choices, but, for my needs, each one seems to be missing some key factor that would otherwise make them "a perfect fit". I keep hoping that 2014 will bring the right combination, but that may be wishful thinking. I will continue to use my existing bodies, but it is a shame that none have yet to fully click with me (pun intended).

5. Luckypenguin

Luckypenguin .

Oct 9, 2010
    Brisbane, Australia
    Why leave it at home? To chase a camera that technically speaking takes better images over one that makes you take better images?
  6. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    The Nikons were/are great cameras, but nothing worked for me like the old OM1, not Minolta, Pentax, Nikon, Canon or several lesser ones. None of them were bad, just did not sit as well in MY hand as the OM1, not even the OM4T, a great camera. The truth is, that we like what we like, and nothing else will suffice! :smile: I'm still looking for the ONE, in digital. Not the E-p1,2,3,as I have had all three, also the E-1, 500, 520 420, 620, Panasonic pz20,30, G1 and G3, and no bad mouthing any one of the them. The G1 was really close, but no cigar. So, after 2 or 3 years of trying, I'm moving on/back, temporarily, to the 420 again.:eek: And the quest moves on, or maybe, I could just stop the hunt and make the little 420 earn it's keep. I'm getting too old to hunt, Or am I? :confused:
    • Like Like x 1
  7. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Like the previous post it was initially the OM1n then the OM3. - fully manual but loved the multipoint metering. I've still got both of them.

I've lost count of the number of cameras I've tried over the subsequent 30 years since I got the OM3 without connecting.

The next camera that brought the same smile to my face was the EM-5. Love this with the 45mm.
  8. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    This thread encapsulates what I find so frustrating about cameras nowadays - so little is put into making them really straightforward properly ergonomic picture takers:

A Nikon FE/FM/FE2/FM2n, Olympus OM-1n/OM-2n, Minolta SRT-102/202/XE-7/XD-11, Pentax K2, KX, MX, and just about any Leica

They all had something that these present day cameras lack - a knack for really getting the photographer involved and fully engaged with creating the image.
  9. mistermark

mistermark Mu-43 Regular

Oct 16, 2012
    I used a Nikon FM2n with 24 2.0, 50 1.4 and 105 2.8 micro Nikkors as my main camera system between 1998 and acquiring my first digital camera (Sony R1) in 2005. Also while at school/college/university between 1984 and 1991 I worked in camera shops, and experience that led me to conclude that the FM/FE series was the most durable and reliable 35mm SLR system ever made.

When I heard about the Nikon Df I was tempted to buy one as I can see a reason for owning a FF system, provided it could be smaller and lighter than most of the existing gear. I would ideally have liked it to be fully manual focus, with a split image and microprism screen, and with aperture rings around the lens barrels. Sadly the Df isn't what I'd hoped so I won't be buying one.

Currently I use an E-M5. I love the compactness, light weight, wide DR and the ability to control the relationship between shutter speed and aperture and exposure compensation using the two control dials. At some stage I may well acquire an E-M1.
  10. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    I'm wondering if, perhaps, the issue is one of too many choices, withtoo many controls and menus.

I liked the Pentax K-1000; and the original Pen FT; and the Minolta X-700 and use my E-M5 as one would have those dinosaurs. ( I had an FM10 but never bonded with it - I shot a couple of rolls of film through it and then gave it to a photography student because I was caught up in the digital migration).

The K-1000 had simple shutter, aperture, and ASA (ISO) settings. Not even a self timer. The Pen FT offered a self timer and the X-700 added aperture, shutter, and program priority options. And the aperture control wasn't really on the camera, it was on the lens.

The fewer the controls, I should think, the easier it is to place them in a handy spot. Although - the shutter speed control on the Pen was on the front of the camera, not exactly falling "readily to hand". (Since it maxxed out at 1/500th of a second shooting "high speed" shutter priority wasn't really an option anyway :biggrin:).

I ignore the larger portion of the controls on my E-M5 most of the time. I use the EVF, not the screen, 99% of the time.

The Super Control Menu is activated and is used primarily for ISO changes but it's not used much - once set for the lighting conditions of the surroundings it's good to go unless I traipse inside (or outside) requiring a new "film speed". Mostly I set it and forget it.

The shutter/aperture controls are the two control dials easily accessed by right hand thumb or finger and they are the controls important to me.

Pretty much everything else I ignore; the full electronic capabilities of this camera are lost on me. I know the E-M5 has a self timer but I'd have to look in the user guide as to how to activate the thing.

The deal is - I ignore any camera control that gets in the way of taking the shot.

Aperture, Shutter Speed, ASA - those things matter to me and I like to have the controls fall "readily to hand". The rest of the bells 'n whistles (matrix metering, spot metering, focusing on something other than the center of the frame, touch screen, etc.) are probably very useful to others but get in my way.

It's a shame to use something as electronically capable as an E-M5 as one did a 1960's era SLR, but that's my methodology and I'm too old a dog to change now. I do sympathize with the Olympus engineers who probably sweated bullets getting all of the capabilities of the camera stuffed into such a small space only to have duffers like me ignore 'em. But my goal is to have the camera "disappear" leaving me concentrating on the photo and if I only have to work three controls to do that (Aperture, Shutter, ISO) then so much the better for me.

I am a simple man with a simple mind :biggrin:.

My (new) Domke bag isn't weathered and tattered yet, but I'm working on it, and the E-M5 / Panasonic 20mm combination is starting to feel like an old pair of jeans. To me it's basically a K-1000 done up in black.

• Like Like x 1
  11. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    I get it.

But for me, it wasnt an FM. I still have an FE2 in a drawer here.

For me it was my XPan. And now my M9s. I never tire of using them. I might play with a different mistress for a while. But I'll always come back. The XPan is the only camera I regret selling.

The EM series is closer than the EPs for me.

Camera choice is such a personal thing.

12. ccunningham

ccunningham Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
  13. Clint

Clint Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 22, 2013
    San Diego area, CA
    There was not a whole lot of choice. You had to have the right film for the conditions you were going to shoot, shooting B&W, better bring along the filters. Quick autofocus was determined by you - not the equipment. Hey, did you check that film rewind knob to see if it moved when you loaded the film? People that shot slides knew what correct exposure was- right ASA, color balance film correct, shutter speed, aperture? Hey, I wanted the blue bulbs, not the clear ones!

We can be as engaged today in creating the images as were yesteryear - or not. I would not trade yesteryear for today's technology!
  14. gs3xr_fun

gs3xr_fun Mu-43 Regular

Oct 30, 2013
    My first slr was the Nikon D60 in 2008 and have owned several dslr since then. I recently started shooting film when I got into buying legacy lens for the EM-1. I can't really pinpoint what really gets me excited about shooting film but I do look ridiculous metering with my D600 so I could shoot my ETRSi. I guess I'm still on a quest to have my FUN camera.
  15. mthomas

mthomas Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 21, 2013

I'd like you to know that I share your sentiments exactly.

I've had over a hundred cameras during the last 50 years. And recently, despite all my research, I found I simply couldn't get on with either of my latest acquisitions -- a Panasonic GM1 and an Oly E-P5. So, once again, I find myself with only my old Nikon F2's ... AND my E-P3!

The difference now, however, is that this time I finally feel content.

(PS: The wonderful thing is that I find that using my Metabones speedbooster with my old Nikkors on my E-P3 provides great IQ without exception. And I've found the E-P3's design to be by far the best suited to my habitual ways of taking pictures. What more could I want? M)

(PPS: I had been coveting the new Olympus 12-40/2.8 -- until I discovered it's made almost entirely of "metallic plastic." Now, I wouldn't take one of these lenses as a gift, much less spend a thousand to possess one! If Olympus is indeed in such financial straights that it must resort to such duplicitous, cost-cutting measures as these -- then I for one will say good riddance. It'd be a shame though: Canikon, et al., are every bit as dishonest, and mercenary, these days. M)

16. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    If you want classic, the Nikon Df is a good compromise in terms of size being a FF, weight and performance. The sensor low light capability is simply outstanding. Not even a E-M1 or E-M5 could come close. I played with it and used it and is the only camera that really sings to me. It is not as quick as the D800/D4 user interface wise, but the retro dials are nice. In my play time, I shoot with an E-PL1 and I love it. I like the E-M5 form factor and the 2 command dials better than my E-PL1 or even the Df (especially the front dial is a bit of stretch for my little finger), the sensor performance of the Df gives you clean low noise results! I can see myself complementing the Df with my E-PL1 if I need low light, fast AF and clean results.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Fmrvette

Fmrvette This Space For Rent

May 26, 2012
    Detroit, Michigan
    Yep, that looks like a nice offering from Nikon. :2thumbs:

I was tempted for about 3 seconds...but for me it's too expensive and too heavy - and I've sold off all but one of my Nikon lenses. (If I were 20 years younger and not retired it might be a different story :biggrin:).

18. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    I find the Nikon Df complements primes nicely and makes it relatively light travel package. It is heavier than the E-M1 for sure, but it's full frame. I would buy it only if you want to shoot action as the AF (despite being the same as the Nikon D600/D610) tracks heck a lot faster than what Oly has with AFS lenses. Otherwise, it's usefulness is for low light and for the weight factor, it's the only camera I know that can do this really well at the form factor and I love it and the shots I've taken are just short of amazing. Thankfully I can use it due to the work I do involved. Otherwise you're right. For daylight and anything else, E-M5 or E-M1 or the Pen cameras are better choices, which is why I still like my E-PL1.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. jjpeterberger

jjpeterberger Mu-43 Rookie

Dec 18, 2013
    Oregon, USA
    My first real camera was a black FE2. I learned a good bit on my own with it by going to the library, checking out books on photography and then practicing. After taking an actual photography class with constructive feedback, my photos improved dramatically. I even bought a second FE2, in silver, as a backup.

Just last week I sold both, along with the MD-12 I used for sports, to help fund my entry into M43. I am looking for a second hand E-M5 to take on my upcoming yearlong bike tour.

The ergonomics of the FE2 spoiled me. Although I haven't been taking many photos with more than a P&S for some time, I can't wait to jump back in!!!

Enjoy the ride,
  20. turbodieselvw

turbodieselvw Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 29, 2010
    I agree with Jim. There are too many controls and options on cameras these days,and I only use what I need and ignore the others. I've owned the Nikon FE/FM2/FA/F2A/F2AS and liked the simplicity of the cameras. The Fuji X100 had simple controls like my old Nikons. I now own two G3s and a GF2 and only use the controls that work for me and I ignore the others. I would love to have the EM5 and EM1 but I'm just too cheap to spend the money as I believe they're both overpriced. That plus the G3s allow me to take the pictures that I need and that is basically what photography is; to take the pictures. I may upgrade to the EM bodies at a later date but not until the price drops.