Did they ever fix the Panasonic 14-42mm X?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by DizzyV6P, Jul 24, 2012.

1. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    Maybe I missed the update on this so please delete if this is a repost.

Did they ever fix the problems with this lens? I'm asking because Amazon has it for $279 now ;) I need something for the extra GF3 I have since I'm using the 14 f/2.5 on my E-M5...LOL. My wife prefers the pancake compactness of the 14-42X instead of the regular X. Considering I can get a used 14-42 for $99, I'm tempted to just get that instead of taking a chance on the X version.

Any thoughts?

2. DizzyV6P

DizzyV6P Mu-43 Regular

Apr 13, 2012
    My other idea is to sell the GF3 Body and grab an EPM-1 refurb from Cameta. That way I don't have to have two systems....argh...decisions, decisions.
  3. Liamness

Liamness Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 20, 2011
    As far as I can tell, they basically said there wasn't a problem and kept selling the lenses as they are. It's probably only a minority of gearheads like us that actually know or care about the issue, after all.

Even if you get a good copy, the image quality is only as good as the non-collapsing kit lens. It's not worth what they ask for it imo. It's more about having the convenience of a compact than anything else. If that's important to you and you keep all other expectations low, you might find it a worthwhile purchase.
  4. EP1-GF1

EP1-GF1 Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 12, 2011
    The electronic zoom would drive me bonkers - that aside, unless you/your wife needs the compactness I'd go with either of the other options.
  5. kwalsh

kwalsh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 3, 2012
    Baltimore, MD
    No, by all accounts it is not fixed. However, there do appear to be combinations of cameras and lenses in which the effect is greatly reduced. There are some long threads over on DPR, one of which has been updated every few weeks by a new person trying the lens and discovering it still has the same problem. Most recent post was in just the past few days.

6. Art

Art Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 13, 2011
    San Francisco, CA
    Does OIS work on Olympus bodies?
  7. goldenlight

goldenlight Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 30, 2010
    It does on Panasonic lenses which have a switch on the lens but I believe that some of the newer Panny lenses have no switch, OIS is activated by the camera. In this case it won't work on Olympus bodies. The 14-45mm lens is one that does have a switch and I use it with my E-PL1. Just be sure not to have IBIS activated on the Oly body if using OIS.
  8. LeeOsenton

LeeOsenton Mu-43 Button Clicker

Jun 25, 2010
    Hayes, Virginia, U.S.A.
    Lee Osenton
    I just bought this lens at Amazon for $275 and my copy is perfect. Very sharp, fast focus, and I really like the power zoom. I see no evidence of the famous blurry/double image that has been reported by many. I understand the problem was common when handheld at longer focal lengths with shutter speeds between 1/160th and 1/200th. I have tried to duplicate the problem but always get sharp images. This is now my first choice when there is ample light for a standard zoom.

Here is a 1/1 crop with no other processing / sharpening from my first day. Nothing special, just a seagull from about 20 feet at the beach in midday sun. Shot at 1/320, f/5.6, ISO 160 with my G3.

I wanted the performance of the 14-45mm with the size of the 20mm. I believe this lens has achieved that and exceeded my hopes in handling. Although I am very happy with mine for walk-around use; I would only recommend buying this lens from a reputable dealer with a no-penalty return option.