1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Did the G2 fix some of the G1's issues?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Siejones, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Siejones

Siejones Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 25, 2010
    Now don't get me wrong I love my little G1. It bowled me over with it's light weight and IQ in such a small package but me coming from a long history of DSLR's I have some issues with it. Most of it could have been fixed in firmware (not much chance of that happening now)

1. The auto bracket is on the same switch as the timer. So you can choose one or the other. So this means you can only auto bracket handheld unless of coarse you use a remote but we do always want to pull that out the bag (that's if you have one at all).

2. The auto bracket options are awful. Why the wierd restictions of 1/3 to 2/3s only options. I have to set it to 7 images to get close to bracketing 2 stops either way. All that had to do was have 2 options: 1)how many images would would like to take 2) Stop difference between images. This would have been perfect!

3. I accept the fact in low light that it is difficult for the camera autofocus. I accept the fact I have to manual focus and this is difficlut because the live viewfinder can't be bright enough to see properly. That is a restriction of not having a nice bright optical viewfinder and that's ok. Your only option left is to manual focus to a specific distance but there is no distance indicater!

Two of these could have been fixed in firmware. I had a firmware hack for my old Canon A520 compact that allowed you to change much more than what I am asking so I know it is easily done.

I tried asking on the official forum's along side others and one offical member even said that the bracketing options would be addressed in the next firmware update but it never happened.

Phew! anyway rant over ;)

So my question is to you G2 owners. Do these issues still exist?

For everyone else. What are your thoughts?

2. Siejones

Siejones Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 25, 2010
    Nobody wants to speak to me :(

Oh well answered my own questions:

1. No they still have on the same swtich.

2. No stupid bracketing options still exist.

3. Yes they have a simple focus distance indicator in the the new G2.