did sony just kill the pen f?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by oly.sol, Feb 3, 2016.

1. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Cos it looks horrible?

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    It does look like a really nice body, but not for me personally. I have a whole set of smaller mu43 lenses that will work on the F. I hope the price gets Olympus's attention, however. :) That's the beauty of competition.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    right, it's ugly, esp. next to the pen f. but it packs a powerful set of features, esp at that price point.

• Agree Agree x 4
  5. dixeyk

dixeyk Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 9, 2010
    It looks to be a pretty nice body. Wasn't a huge fan of the a6000 but then again I'm not likely to buy the Pen F either. If I was looking to shoot adapted lenses then yes I would buy it over the Pen F but part of the Pen's appeal is the available m43 lenses.

FWIW I find the Pen F to be pretty ugly so while the a6300 is no looker it's not any worse IMHO.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  6. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    same here, but this is what gets me...my ep5 bodies work fine and are insured. if i'm going to plop down a grand for a new body, i can get the sony a6300 kit for like 1200. and maybe that starts a slow change over to sony. i don't know. that's a really powerful price point for the features you get. sony's playing hardball for sure. i wonder what there profit margins on this will be. i guess they inted to make money off volume.

7. oly.sol

oly.sol Mu-43 Regular

Nov 14, 2015
    Cambridge, MA
    actually, this a6300 is also very strong competition for the em5 and 10, and maybe even the em1.

8. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    My guess is that it has similar ergonomics/handling/poopy menus that all the otehr Sony cameras have. If an A7 doesn't interest me, the A6000 series certainly does not.

matter of personal taste, but I'd rather have an Olympus anything than a Sony Alpha anything.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 4
  9. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    No impact to the PEN-F, because it appeals to a completely different user.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  10. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
    The specs raised my pulse, just a little but...

I really hope price is really high compared to the F. If not, well, danger danger...

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    I, also, don't carry for the way it looks, I prefer the PEN F. The prices are close, particularly when you factor in the more expensive Sony lens options.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Having a great body is half the battle, but you need a great lens line up to make it shine. So far, Sony does not. What counts is what's on your body. A weak lens always make a body weak despite it can be superior than another body. Unless Sony expands its APS-C E mount lens line, I only see this as an adapted crop sensor lens option. A different buyer compared to someone who wants a complete line of lenses like what PEN-F offers.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  13. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    • Agree Agree x 9
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  14. HarryS

HarryS Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 23, 2012
    Midwest, USA
    Well, the NEX folks have been waiting for this body for what seems like a hundred years. They should be very happy.

I considered a NEX body for low light with adapted lenses only (Zeiss being too spendy) in 2012, but the EM5 solved my low light concerns, as did a a couple of fast primes. No, the new A-body doesn't kill my interest in a PEN-F. I'll probably get one when it comes down in price after 18 months.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    Those are FE lenses for full frame bodies, and while the A6300 can use it, it will be cropped. Yes, they are huge because they are after all designed for full frame. You can't defy physics just because you have a small A7 series full frame bodies on the other side.

16. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    These questions. Every time. Here is a question: Who are these mythical "camera death match" people who will jump from system to system based on a single camera release?

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  17. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    I guess folk with just the kit lens and nothing else?

M

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. TNcasual

TNcasual Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2014
    Knoxville, TN
    I always get that E/FE mount confused. But Sony seems to only want to create lenses for FE that also work on E. That most likely means that any new lenses will be large on the E mount a6XXX.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    The autofocus specs look really nice and the pricing does suggest that Olympus might be a little optimistic. The downside is limited/expensive lens selection and these Sony bodies just define ugly to me.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. bikerhiker

bikerhiker Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 24, 2013
    Canada
    David
    They want to follow Canon and Nikon's body plan with the A7 serving as full frame and the A6300 serving as a digital teleconverter just like the Canon 7DII and Nikon D500.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1