1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Did Olympus take down their Canadian outlet site?

Discussion in 'Open Discussion' started by Jonathan F/2, Jun 19, 2015.

1. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    http://www.getolympus.com/ca/en/outlet_store?icn=topnav&ici=savingsnav_outlet-text

I was wondering if anyone in Canada can access the Canadian Olympus outlet site, because I can't seem to access here in the US. For the Americans who don't know, Olympus has the same exact outlet prices in Canada as they do in the US. With the conversion rate, the prices are way cheaper! Anyways, I was planning on order some gear when I go visit Canada to take advantage of the savings, but unfortunately I can't access the site. I'm not sure if it's down or they removed it.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2015
  2. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    I'm in Canada and I can access it but not through your link. I just google olympus canada outlet and get to it that way. When I follow your link it says nothing is available. Maybe it is blocked...

3. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Link works for me from Utah.

4. edmsnap

edmsnap Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 20, 2011
    Edmonton, Alberta
  5. DeeJayK

DeeJayK Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I'm able to get to the Olympus Canada site, but once there I can't find any outlet/reconditioned products. If I use the OP's link I am taken to the outlet landing page (which loads fine), but when I try to drill down into the merchandise, every page says "there are no such items to display" (or some such).

If I switch my location (in the top nav) to US, then I can see the full slate of reconditioned products. I can also find the "Olympus Outlet" listed when I click on the "SAVINGS" link. However, if I switch the location back to Canada, the outlet option disappears.

Seems like Olympus might have gotten wise to this loophole?

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

It wasn't ever really a loophole since they refused entry of U.S. addresses when placing an order. I tried to snag some lenses once and got a big "DENIED!".

I don't see any products, either.

7. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Whoa, I think it is blocked then for US viewers! I'll check this weekend to see if I can access it again, if not I guess I'll have to order when I arrive back into Canada! Seriously the savings are well worth it if one has access to a Canadian shipping address!

8. TwoWheels

TwoWheels Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 28, 2014
    British Columbia
    Evan
    This is probably one of the ONLY things that is cheaper in Canada than the U.S. For virtually anything and everything, we pay a substantial premium to the cost of things in the U.S. Having said that, there are some really nice things about living here so I try not to complain about it too much. :)

9. mintchoco

mintchoco Mu-43 Regular

May 24, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    I think the reconditioned section is gone. I don't see anything.

Sent from my A0001 using Mu-43 mobile app

10. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    From some of the rumors I have read, it seems that Olympus doesn't have a presence in Canada and as such the products are shipped from the US. Some recent changes in their supply chain and/or processing systems have caused some confusion which has resulted in additional taxes and duties being charged to customers on these packages. It's possible this will be worked out at some point, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. HazyOmega

HazyOmega Mu-43 Rookie

Aug 25, 2013
    Montreal, Canada
    The three times I ordered from Olympus Canada outlet, the products were shipped from the US but I never had problem with the taxes or duties. Maybe it's because I paid the full taxes (15%) on my orders.

I really wish the outlet will be back because the saving is usually good and the quality is there. Also because they cracked up the price by 28% in June. Back in may I paid the 75mm f1.8 $560 for a refurbished lens and now they are selling the new lens at $1150. It's more than half the price!

If I remember well, the lenses are produced in Malaysia. The Canadian dollar to Malaysian ringgit didn't really changed in the last 5 years. So no change in price should have occured beside inflation. The US dollar raise by about 25% over the Canadian in the past 2 years and Olympus increase the price in Canada by about 28% at the same time they close the outlet store.

So the facts that the price increase is roughly the same as the currency change and lenses are shipped from US would tend to confirm what you said about that there is no Olympus presence in Canada for their consumer products.

12. Jonathan F/2

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Darn so I guess it's confirmed, Olympus killed the awesome Canadian price loophole! Congratulations to all the Canadians who ordered gear at awesome prices!

13. sublimesun

sublimesun Mu-43 Regular

Jan 6, 2013
    British Columbia
    Matt
    Recondition store is gone and all the prices are at least 20% more on new bodies and lenses. Looks like I won't be buying anything new from Olympus in the near future. If I get the urge it will be in classifieds locally since even Canadians on the forums are selling their used gear at USD which is ridiculous. O well.

14. JasonCdn

JasonCdn Mu-43 Regular

May 19, 2014
    British Columbia
    Jason
    Wow did they ever jack the prices up on new bodies and lenses (12-40mm for $1250+tax, I just paid $800 for mine used). So glad I was able to piece together my kit at the price I did. It will be used gear from now on for most of us.

15. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Yeah, it's pretty disappointing. I would periodically keep my eye on the refurbished outlet - the only two lenses I ever got the itch for were the 12-40 and the 75/1.8, but $650 is nearly twice as much as I've ever spent on a lens, and more than any body, so I never bit. Doesn't look like I will anytime in the future, if this is the case. Used market it is.

16. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I just emailed Olympus to let them know I wouldn't be buying any more of their equipment due to the massive price increase on everything for Canadians. The 40-150 f2.8 jumped from $1499 to $1899 overnight. The MC-14 teleconverter is now $449. Even the 14-42 f3.5-5.6 II R kit lens is $449. This will probably kill the Olympus brand in the Canadian market. Too bad, it was a nice product line and I recommended it highly to friends looking for something good to replace their DSLRs.

• Like Like x 2
  17. DeeJayK

Feb 8, 2011
    Pacific Northwest, USA
    Keith
    I think it's too early to tell how much this change will impact prices in other outlets, so I don't believe you should throw out the baby with the bathwater (says the American who's not directly impacted). It's also possible that the takedown of the refurb site is only temporary, although given their retail pricing adjustment, if it does come back the days of seeing the prices set on par with the US prices may be gone.

Anyway, those of you who live close to the border can always just order from US sources and ship to one of these shipping depots on the US side of the border. Yes, it's an inconvenience to have to cross the border to pick up your goods, but the savings obviously make doing so worthwhile to many.

18. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The main problem is that few companies will honor warranties on goods purchased from another jurisdiction. I personally am almost always willing to make that gamble and purchase used or grey market and have never had a camera or lens fail, and have saved hundreds of dollars as a result. But it's still a hassle, and not everyone is as comfortable taking that risk as me.

I bought my GX7 from the States for $400 USD through Robert's Camera, and after shipping and taxes and currency exchange (and no warranty, despite buying new) I was in for $600+ CDN...but that was still $200-300 less than Canadian retailers. So there's clearly a problem with pricing up in this market. I'm not sure the companies up here feel its better business to get half as many high margin sales than twice as many lower margin sales, but it seems like a poor choice because it certainly doesn't engender customer loyalty.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  19. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    This morning I called one of the sales staff I spoke with on Saturday at Leo's Camera in Vancouver and he said he would honor their sale price on the last 40-150 Pro in current stock. I nipped down and bought it. With GST and PST, it came to $1590 and change. They also gave me a good deal on a Mirrorless Mover 30i.
    It will be interesting to see what Olympus comes up with in sales and refurbs for the Canadian market. It will probably take a couple of months to fully judge the impact of the price increase and determine any pricing incentives.
    If I ever buy more Olympus product, I'll definitely wait for official promotions before walking into a dealer. Once they cut prices deeply enough, those of us still using their OM-D equipment will probably consider buying new pieces.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  20. jo45800

jo45800 Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 23, 2013
    Montreal
    Good bye canadian sales. I would rather buy from BH or just cross the border and have less taxes to pay. It's not fair to rise the price because when the canadian dollars was good, the prices didn't drop and we have more taxes.