Did Olympus botch the roll-out of the E-M5 Mk III?

djtaylor7

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David
15% GST in New Zealand, but all the prices quoted include it. And any overseas online retailer such as eBay has to add it to purchases I make offshore.

I waited for this camera for quite a long time now.
So I found the launch price reasonable and bought it right away (body only).
(in France we had a free Oly additional battery when pre-ordering, which means almost nothing :) ).

I don't care that the price went down now, and is probably more in line with what the product is offering. I'm satisfied with my purchase.

I think that, maybe, Olympus was targetting, at first, people like me, who already had a m43 body (E-M10 for me), and were waiting to upgrade it with the E-M5 mk III for a few years.
I didn't want a kit, I didn't care about a slightly too high price, I didn't want to wait for 2 additional months for a price drop.

All I wanted is that the camera was released - at last - and up to my expectations.

Dogbert62

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Patrick
I planned on waiting but GAS got the best of me.. oh well.. I think at $1k, it is reasonably priced... 200 bucks isn’t worth burning too many BTUs over...

But I would like two votes on what to add in a future FW upgrade? How about adding “My Menu” and adding the ability to program the mode dial with more custom modes.. these adders wouldn’t infringe on the EM1...

Dogbert62

Centauri27

Mu-43 Regular
In New Zealand the sweetener is a free 25mm F1.8 lens. Mind you, the price is NZ$2270 which is GBP1100/US$1470 for the body.
Wow, that is really expensive. No wonder they threw in a free 25mm! But once that incentive goes away, I can see NZ'ers doing all their ordering from the U.S...

Centauri27

Mu-43 Regular
I waited for this camera for quite a long time now.
So I found the launch price reasonable and bought it right away (body only).
(in France we had a free Oly additional battery when pre-ordering, which means almost nothing :) ).

I don't care that the price went down now, and is probably more in line with what the product is offering. I'm satisfied with my purchase.

I think that, maybe, Olympus was targetting, at first, people like me, who already had a m43 body (E-M10 for me), and were waiting to upgrade it with the E-M5 mk III for a few years.
I didn't want a kit, I didn't care about a slightly too high price, I didn't want to wait for 2 additional months for a price drop.

All I wanted is that the camera was released - at last - and up to my expectations.
That's great--you are exactly the target audience that Olympus was targetting! But I wonder how many of you were out there, whether the quick price drop was planned all along or a last second decision. Personally, I'd be peeved if the price dropped $200 within a couple of months of me buying.

(I also waited a long time for this camera, as I have the original E-M5. I ended up buying a Panasonic GX85 last year to tide me over.)

Centauri27

Mu-43 Regular
I planned on waiting but GAS got the best of me.. oh well.. I think at $1k, it is reasonably priced... 200 bucks isn’t worth burning too many BTUs over...

But I would like two votes on what to add in a future FW upgrade? How about adding “My Menu” and adding the ability to program the mode dial with more custom modes.. these adders wouldn’t infringe on the EM1...

Dogbert62
Also, if they could add multi-touch to the touchscreen, that would bring it up to par with what everybody else has. Their single-touch screen is ancient technology.

What I miss the most (beside C2 - C3 modes that will probably never come), is the addition of:
- face priority mode
- focus limiter
To the "tickable" focus functions of the Fn lever.
I still miss an easy button/lever to be able to enable/disable face priority.

Centauri27

Mu-43 Regular
I don't see the launch as botched at all.

The only goods that usually come to market at a lower than retail price are things like food, where a supplier hopes you'll take a chance on something new because it's cheap, and then like the product so much you'll buy it over and over again at the full price.

The reverse is true of high end luxury goods (cars, posh handbags, phones, the latest greatest gizmo). Your best chance to recover your R&D and marketing money is right at the start when the product is 'cutting edge'.

You sometimes get added value (such as Rob's free battery above), but the retail price remains firmly established at the highest possible point. Early adopters often know they're paying a premium, but the benefit is that they are 'first'. By offering a 'free' £70 (real cost probably less than £5) item with a £1000 camera, no one gets used to the camera being sold at £930 and in the case of batteries, there's a good chance that the consumer will buy another at full price at the same time anyway. Even when it's £900 everywhere, it will still be advertised as '£100 off'.

It's a basic rule of retail. It's dead easy to lower an already high price to boost demand. It's very difficult to put the price up and maintain your sales. People just wait for it to come back down again.

Amazon are the exception rather than the rule. A global retailer can make global pricing decisions. 20+% off for buying something they hadn't taken possession of is a peculiar one. One can only speculate as to what the benefit to Amazon is in making no money (margins are slim on camera hardware, and slimmer when you have a return policy like Amazon's), unless they were hedging after placing a very large forward order for the product.
Yes, I agree--the normal school of thought is that you make most of your money in the beginning, from the early adopters willing to pay full price. But to do a dramatic price drop so soon smacks of an slight admission of defeat (not to mention annoying some early adopters I'm sure). Perhaps they didn't notice that in many markets, the E-M5 Mk III body is within $100 of the discounted E-M1 Mk II? And if you add the cost of the new grip, the E-M5 is actually more expensive!

I'm not a marketing expert, but I believe throwing in an incentive in the beginning (be it a battery, lens, grip, etc.) is the best way to go. Charge full price, but include the freebie. Then after a period, remove the freebie. This way, the "value" of the camera stays at the original price, and you're not forced to raise the price afterwards (which never looks good).

That's great--you are exactly the target audience that Olympus was targetting! But I wonder how many of you were out there, whether the quick price drop was planned all along or a last second decision. Personally, I'd be peeved if the price dropped $200 within a couple of months of me buying.
Olympus has published its results:
https://www.olympus-global.com/ir/data/brief/2020.html?page=ir

April to December, mirrorless sales are down (-4%) but it's +18% on Q3 only (= Oct to Dec.)
There's no specific number provided for camera sales but the comment says:
"looking solely at the third quarter, revenue was up 6% due to the introduction of new mirrorless products, and profitability improved together with gross profit."
Maybe it's the E-M5.3. :)

Centauri27

Mu-43 Regular
It does strike me as odd when the manufacturer starts to hand out discounts so soon after a product's release. I felt it was strange when the Panasonic G9 had huge discounts less than a year into its life cycle. This time, it's less than 2 months before a nice 23% discount. Discounting as a product ages is normal, but the timing feels off.

The new price does seem to be a much better fit for the overall milc market. I just feel a little sorry for the early adopters, most of which are likely to be olympus faithful looking to upgrade. I would be pretty upset. 2 months usage isn't worth 23% depreciation in my eyes. This is taking the faithful for granted.
I agree. The timing feels off. I wonder if this was planned all along, or was it a last second decision after they looked at the initial orders? I also would be choked to see a 23% depreciation after only two months. Worse for people who bought only a few weeks ago.

Centauri27

Mu-43 Regular
I think the only issue with the launch was not having the 12-45PRO ready for a package deal. That would have been an outstanding pair that would have garnered attention.

If it was available, I may have bitten the bullet at launch pricing. Instead I bought a used 12-40Pro.
Yes, it would have been perfect if the 12-45 PRO was ready at launch. But I'm still puzzled as to why they didn't bother offering more package deals--like with the 12-200 or 12-100 PRO? Now that would have caught my interest. I already have the original 14-150 and paying for the Mark II version of this lens was not appealing, despite the discount.

Centauri27

Mu-43 Regular
What I miss the most (beside C2 - C3 modes that will probably never come), is the addition of:
- face priority mode
- focus limiter
I heard in one of the reviews, they mentioned that the E-M5 Mk III has a focus limiter.

Centauri27

Mu-43 Regular
Olympus has published its results:
https://www.olympus-global.com/ir/data/brief/2020.html?page=ir

April to December, mirrorless sales are down (-4%) but it's +18% on Q3 only (= Oct to Dec.)
There's no specific number provided for camera sales but the comment says:
"looking solely at the third quarter, revenue was up 6% due to the introduction of new mirrorless products, and profitability improved together with gross profit."
Maybe it's the E-M5.3. :)
Yes, there was probably a large pent-up demand. I don't begrudge them for charging full price at launch. But I do question why they did such a dramatic price drop so soon afterwards (I mean, $100 off would be significant; $200 off so soon is nearly unheard of, esp. when there's no "selling season" holiday like Black Friday.)

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Pairing with the 12-45 Pro would have been a great idea. I already had the 14-150, so that combo didn't appeal to me. Well, I also have the 12-40 Pro, so the 12-45 doesn't quite appeal to me personally, but for someone who doesn't have a lens in that range, a 5MkIII with that lens for $1400 or 1500 would have been a decent deal.

I love my 12-40. I almost considered selling it to get a 12-100 for a trip I have coming up... but I think I'll get by with the 12-40 just fine.
The 12-100 is significantly heavier and bulkier than the 12-40.
While the extra reach is nice to have, you have to decide if the added weight and bulk is worth it.
If you are young and strong, the added weight may make little to no difference to you.
I have both of them, and selectively use them based on the shoot.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
- face priority mode
- focus limiter
I thought you could reconfigure a button to turn "face recognition" off.
Face recognition has been a love/hate thing for me. When it works, it is great. But in a party/group environment with a lot of people, it usually fails by grabbing faces that I do NOT want. Then I am back to single point AF, so that I can select where to focus. So, I rarely use it.

Centauri27

Mu-43 Regular
The 12-100 is significantly heavier and bulkier than the 12-40.
While the extra reach is nice to have, you have to decide if the added weight and bulk is worth it.
If you are young and strong, the added weight may make little to no difference to you.
I have both of them, and selectively use them based on the shoot.
Good to hear from someone who has both. I have the 12-40 and was seriously considering picking up the 12-100. But the 12-40 is nearly at the limit of my bulk tolerance. When I travel with that and the 7-14 PRO, the weight in my camera bag becomes noticeable.

ac12

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Good to hear from someone who has both. I have the 12-40 and was seriously considering picking up the 12-100. But the 12-40 is nearly at the limit of my bulk tolerance. When I travel with that and the 7-14 PRO, the weight in my camera bag becomes noticeable.
When I travel, I do not take my pro lenses. Too heavy and bulky, for this old man. For me, at my age and condition, travel requires a compromise to reduce weight and bulk.
My basic travel lenses are the Panasonic-Lumix 12-60 + Olympus 17/1.8, then optionally the Olympus 40-150R.
My last vacation, the Lumix 12-60 was on the camera 99+% of the time. The 17 and 40-150 were used less than a dozen times in total.

GBarrington

Mu-43 Top Veteran
It's 21% in The Netherlands, so when the global pricing is announced it's always the question how much more expensive it will be when it is sold over here.

Amazon seems to operate on the strategy to have very competitive pricing on more expensive products (products people are willing to research and actively look for the best price). Amazon does this to get people to always go straight to Amazon if they want to buy something (as people have learned that Amazon=cheap, no need to research prices) and recover margin on low-interest product sales (many small sales covering the cost of pricing bigger purchases aggressively). Looking at the success of Amazon Prime it seem to work quite well.
That's why I like the "tax transparency" of listing the purchase price separately from the tax added. In the USA, when taxes go up we, the people, know it and we scream bloody murder! I think it serves to keep taxes a bit lower overall.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom