Did it, traded my m5 for m5.3

Traceyjj

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Tracey
Im with you... i traded 2 of my nikon trinity and bought this as an upgrade for my em10 mk 2. Im just waiting for some nice weather to go give it a good test drive.

AaronE

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Im with you... i traded 2 of my nikon trinity and bought this as an upgrade for my em10 mk 2. Im just waiting for some nice weather to go give it a good test drive.
Its almost waterproof, I would let the weather stop you.

delkhouri

Mu-43 Regular
Would love to upgrade my mk10ii to the 5iii but I just dont have $1000+ or valuable Nikon lenses laying around. I do look forward to hearing your experience.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Would love to upgrade my mk10ii to the 5iii but I just dont have $1000+ or valuable Nikon lenses laying around. I do look forward to hearing your experience.
That was my upgrade, E-M10 II to the E-M5 III.

I just love the size of my E-M10 II and often had remarked that my perfect m43 would be the guts of my E-M1 II, or similar, in an M10 sized package. Olympus read my mind, and delivered.

A lot of folks liken the E-M5 III to a Mini E-M1 II. But, I have the E-M1 II and the 5.3 is nothing like it. What it is, from my 2 weeks experience with it, is a super turbo charged, weather sealed, 5 1/2 stop IBIS...... E-M10 II. PRICELESS!

Here is a couple of size comparison pics between my E-M10 II and the E-M5 III

E-M10 II on the left, E-M5 III on the right.

PC080008.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

E-M10 II with OEM grip on left, the E-M5 III doesn't need the add on grip and so weighs in about 50 grams less.

PC080024-2.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Last edited:

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
That was my upgrade, E-M10 II to the E-M5 III.

I just love the size of my E-M10 II and often had remarked that my perfect m43 would be the guts of my E-M1 II, or similar, in an M10 sized package. Olympus read my mind, and delivered. A lot of folks liken the E-M5 III to a Mini E-M1 II. I have the E-M1 II and the 5.3 is nothing like it. What it is, from my 2 weeks experience with it, is a super turbo charged, weather sealed, 5 1/2 stop IBIS, E-M10 II. PRICELESS!

Here is a couple of size comparison pics between my E-M10 II and the E-M5 III

E-M10 II on the left, E-M5 III on the right.

View attachment 790055

E-M10 II with OEM grip on left, the E-M5 III doesn't need the add on grip and so weighs in about 50 grams less.

View attachment 790056
Initially I thought my E-M10II would need a (custom) grip too but after shooting 5-6 hours at an event with the new E-M10II & 40-150mm f/2.8 combo I feel there's no need to add more weight to the camera. The ergonomics is good enough and I also have the E-M5III too and it will be the main camera anyway so I'm sure the E-M10II will be mostly carrying smaller lenses.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Initially I thought my E-M10II would need a (custom) grip too but after shooting 5-6 hours at an event with the new E-M10II & 40-150mm f/2.8 combo I feel there's no need to add more weight to the camera. The ergonomics is good enough and I also have the E-M5III too and it will be the main camera anyway so I'm sure the E-M10II will be mostly carrying smaller lenses.
Hmmmmm... that is an interesting thought. Since receiving the E-M5 III, I have been pondering the future of my E-M10 II. I am hoping the soon to be released 12-45 Pro will become my default lens for the 5.3 and the 12-42EZ can be returned to my 10.2. I certainly don’t need the add on grip for that combo so maybe it is time to remove it and return the 10.2 to its native state.

Moula

Mu-43 Regular
Initially I thought my E-M10II would need a (custom) grip too but after shooting 5-6 hours at an event with the new E-M10II & 40-150mm f/2.8 combo I feel there's no need to add more weight to the camera. The ergonomics is good enough
Hmmmmm... that is an interesting thought.
I prefer E-M10-II with grip when 17/1.8 attached. But with such large lens as 40-150/2.8 the primary holding point would be left hand on lens, not right hand. So grip become being pointless.

JDS

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
David Schultz
I prefer E-M10-II with grip when 17/1.8 attached. But with such large lens as 40-150/2.8 the primary holding point would be left hand on lens, not right hand. So grip become being pointless.
That's still a lot of mass to stabilize and control with one hand, I think the grip would still definitely be preferable. I even like the battery grip on my EM1-II when using the 40-150 pro, it feels better that way.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason
I'm kinda regretting not picking up an Em5iii in the recent sales, but i'm not sure what i would have sold to fund it. It ticks almost every box in my "ideal camera function list". There'll be another sale soon, no doubt.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
That's still a lot of mass to stabilize and control with one hand, I think the grip would still definitely be preferable. I even like the battery grip on my EM1-II when using the 40-150 pro, it feels better that way.
Lest week I went for my first try with the 40-150 Pro on the E-M5 III and really didn’t care for it too much. I much preferred the match up with my PL 100-400 with its full time lens OIS.This is not surprising since the 40-150 Pro is my least favorite lens. I’ll give it a few more outings, but I really think this is too big of a lens for this small and lightweight of a body, at least for me.

runner girl

Mu-43 Veteran
Lest week I went for my first try with the 40-150 Pro on the E-M5 III and really didn’t care for it too much. I much preferred the match up with my PL 100-400 with its full time lens OIS.This is not surprising since the 40-150 Pro is my least favorite lens. I’ll give it a few more outings, but I really think this is too big of a lens for this small and lightweight of a body, at least for me.
I feel the same way about that lens (and the 12-100) on the smaller bodies. One thing that makes the 40-150 Pro more usable for me is that I rotated that tripod mount “cuff” to about the 10:00 position. I can then slip my hand between it an the lens barrel - it is much more stable and balanced.

gary0319

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I feel the same way about that lens (and the 12-100) on the smaller bodies. One thing that makes the 40-150 Pro more usable for me is that I rotated that tripod mount “cuff” to about the 10:00 position. I can then slip my hand between it an the lens barrel - it is much more stable and balanced.
I rarely ever use a tripod, so I took the tripod mount off entirely.

RAH

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rich
I'm kinda regretting not picking up an Em5iii in the recent sales, but i'm not sure what i would have sold to fund it. It ticks almost every box in my "ideal camera function list". There'll be another sale soon, no doubt.
At least in the USA, the only "sale" involving the E-M5III was a discount on the bundled lens (14-150), which I guess was an OK deal (if you want that lens). But buying body-only, there was no sale at all ($1199 always). I think a lot of folks here will be buying body-only (like me), and I think there will be a long wait for a sale on that.

Last edited:
Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom