1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Did I receive a used GX7?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by malter001, Apr 24, 2014.

1. malter001

malter001 New to Mu-43

Jan 20, 2014
    Hello,

I'm looking for info from anyone who has purchased a GX7, body only. The one that I received did not have the body cap attached, though the cap was included in the packaging. Seemed unusual to me that a "new" camera would ship without the protection of the cap.

I also checked the shutter count. It reads 46 and shows that the camera was powered up 13 times. I understand this could possibly be explained by testing at the factory, but I think it's more likely I was sent a demo or used item.

Just checking with other GX7 folks before I contact the retailer.

Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Sounds used. Where did you buy it (so I know who to avoid)?

3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I think a lot of places (the ones with very liberal return policies) are selling cameras which have been returned but are not defective. This doesn't bother me, nor does the common practice of local camera stores letting folks open the box to hold cameras and then selling that open box camera to me as new. That said, I would not be happy about receiving a camera that shipped to me with the body cap off.

• Like Like x 1
  4. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Thats cool if you aren't bothered, but its a good idea to check anyways. I know a guy who got an obvious return (or used... just not new for sure) from Amazon, called them to ask them about it, and they offered to let him keep the camera at a used camera price or return it (he kept it). They control their stock pretty carefully, so I think they know if they send out a return, and if you can get an open box discount, you might as well take it.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bif

Bif Mu-43 Veteran

May 28, 2012
    San Angelo TX
    Bruce Foreman
    I purchased one (body only) used from B&H used dept. When i did the service menu check it only had 270 shutter "clicks". I watch their used dept for anything I'm looking for, the day I dropped it in my "cart" the new price was $749, I paid $639.

Two days later the price on new went back up to "release" price, now it's at $797.99.

If they offer an "open box" special and it functions like it should, I'd keep it, you still have a new camera warranty. I'd turn it upside down and blow off the sensor WITH A GIOTTOS ROCKET BLOWER ONLY!

• Like Like x 1
  6. compute42

compute42 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2014
    Be careful on amazon as well for GX7's. I bought one from "sunset electronics" on amazon... it said "US version" in the listing, however I got the japan only grey market model. (only can set it on pal25 or 50fps) Called them back wanting us and said "we don't have any US sorry we must be sold out"... However a week later the listing on amazon is STILL there for the US version.

7. orfeo

orfeo Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 27, 2013
    FR
    There are laws that forbid to sell returned units as new.

8. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    Not everywhere. I'm assuming "FR" for your location is France, and Europe in general has better consumer protection laws than the US

9. compute42

compute42 Mu-43 Regular

Apr 1, 2014
    ugh, want to buy a GX7 but whats with the pricing this last month? I bought one for 1k with the 20mm lens (legit us version from amazon) that the sensor died i had to return, then prices went up?! I tried to order the 1k combo and ended up getting grey market one (had to return that one)
    I'm tempted to go down to samys camera by me and buy the combo for 1300 but what gives with this increased pricing?! we're getting up to GH4 land now

10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Interestingly none of the camera/lens manufacturers design their boxes in such a way as to make prior opening easily apparent. I recently bought a pair of headphones where I had to cut a ribbon with a pair of scissors to open the box. No chance of buying a returned one of those without noticing.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Mu-43 mobile app

11. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I think we need to accept some level of this if we want the super-liberal no questions asked return policies that are prevalent in the US. Having said that, I wouldn't accept anything that seemed potentially compromised.

• Like Like x 1
  12. chargeek

chargeek New to Mu-43

Mar 31, 2014
    Same thing happened to me. Bought black GX7 body from Sunset Electronics (on Amazon) and it arrived with body cap unattached somewhere else in the box. I did not think of checking the shutter count. The worst is there were some spots on my sensor. I was going to return it until after several sensor cleans the spots finally went away. I was not too happy with it but it's working fine now. Other wise I do really like the camera. The only thing I wish GX7 has is a longer bulb mode.

13. jnewell

jnewell Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 23, 2011
    Boston, MA
    I have to reluctantly agree...the liberal returns policies are (I think) required by the fact that so much buying now is - has to be - done online/by mail. It is increasingly hard to handle a camera or lens before you buy it. In order to make this attractive for buyers, sellers have to accept returns. But all those returns don't just disappear - the seller has to sell them somehow. The question is: how. Sometimes the item is like new/open box, sometimes, not so much. In my experience retailers like B&H and Adorama have much better controls on this process than Amazon.

14. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I would not be cleaning the sensor of my new camera. That'd be a return.

15. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I think anything that has been returned needs to be marked "Open box" or "Customer return." You are incurring additional risk by purchasing something that has been opened and should be compensated for taking that risk.

16. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011
    How I love a good physical store. I often find it worth the little premium in price it usually costs.
    I actually think the return policy of sellers is sometimes taken a bit too easy as in 'I'll order three, see which one I Iike best and return the others'. It may be the right and possibility of the customer, however whether to actually use that on a frequent basis just for comfort is another thing.
    I would not be happy to receive an opened box when I paid full price for a new unit. It would make me return it and buy one in town.

17. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I agree completely. I've seen Amazon reviews where people even admit doing this, or admit ordering a new release just to try it while already planning to return it (and in the comments have seen people get pretty judgmental about that behavior). You are lucky you have a good store in town, Here in Santa Fe (home of the Santa Fe photography workshops and second only to New York as an art market), its a 6 hour drive to Denver to find more than Sony/Canon/Nikon (and even there, the selection is limited). Crazy huh?

18. Gerald

Gerald Mu-43 Regular

Sep 20, 2011
    Indeed it is fortunate to have good shops around the corner. Although I wonder for how long, as quite a few similar stores already shut their doors. It is very hard to compete as a small physical store to the big online guns.
    When I buy,I buy from them, hoping that more people do in order for them to stay open.

I fully understand online shopping and to some degree returning items when one is a bit more remote from the right shop by the way.

Sorry to the OP, don't mean to derail your topic.

19. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    The reality is retailers did the math and they make more money with full refunds than charging restocking fees (more good apples vs bad). The shadiness comes in when those retailers sell used items as new. Amazon actually bans customers for too many returns.

20. GFFPhoto

GFFPhoto Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 24, 2013
    I think its a mix. They keep pretty tight controls on inventory. Any online retailer knows if they are sending out a return as new (although I'm sure mistakes happen). If they choose to sell a return as new, that it's a black mark on them. Of course, someone who orders three cameras with the intention of returning two (or maybe even ordering something just to try it out without being sure of your intent to purchase) seems kind of shady. And I learned the hard way to be very wary of amazon resellers. Amazon made good on a lens advertised as new when it was actually taken from a kit (and shipped without an end cap) after the reseller was not prompt with a refund, but I'll deal direct with Amazon (or better yet B&H) from now on.