1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Did I Make The Right Choice?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by SilenX, Jun 11, 2013.

1. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt
    Hey guys, first post here on mu-43, seems like a great place to learn and discuss all things :43:. :2thumbs:

Anyways, I recently pulled the trigger on a Panasonic DMC-G5KK bundle at CostCo (see here) and am quickly realizing I probably should've made a post double checking that I made the right purchase sooner rather than later.

Be that as it may, I'm here now asking; did I make the right decision?

The bundle comes with the standard 14-42 kit lens and the 45-150 telephoto lens. I already own the Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 from when I had my Olympus E-PL1 (now sold). I sold the E-PL1 in hopes of having a more DSLR styled camera with better image quality and more photo capabilities.

The lens purchase list from here on out is the Olympus 45mm f/1.8, Samyang 7.5mm f/3.5, and the Olympus 75mm f/1.8. Are there any problems with the listed lenses and the G5?

The thing that worries me about my purchase that caused me to post was the lack of in-body image stabilization. From what I've read I see that Panasonic puts the image stabilization in their lenses for the most part. Olympus puts the image stabilization in the body of their cameras. So my question is, do Olympus users have it better off than the Panasonic users because of this?

2. tuanies

tuanies Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 13, 2011
    Graham, WA
    Tuan Huynh
    Return it, buy the $400 kit with $50 gift card from Adorama. You can pickup a 45-200 for less than the combined price Costco has.

3. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    The G5 is a great camera at the original price. I have one and I like it so much I sold my E-M5.

Stabilization is good to have but less necessary with fast, wide primes. Whether the camera is "right" for you can only be determined by shooting it.

Personally, I think you could do a LOT worse. Here's my review of the G5: Diversity's Real Value: A Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Camera Review

4. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt
    I think the G5 format is more for me than the E-PL1 was. I have slightly bigger hands than normal and while I know :43: is meant to be small, the form factor on a DSLR format body is more natural to me.

I keep reading reviews that the 45-150 is shaper than the 45-200 lens. I can still cancel the order but I don't quite see how the other one is a better deal?

Thanks for the feedback so far guys, new to photography as a hobby in general so I have a lot to learn.

5. entropicremnants

entropicremnants Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 16, 2012
    John Griggs
    I have the 45-150mm and I think it's fine. Some pics here: Flickr Search: 45-150mm by Entropic Remnants

6. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
  7. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt
    Gary,

Thanks for linking that thread.

Looks like my obsession with image stabilization (or lack thereof) is nothing to be worried about at all.

Good to hear! :thumbup:

8. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    Good luck to ya! Let's see some images.

Gary

PS- Generally, for most of us, the only thing that IS/IBIS does is allow better IQ in an image with a non-moving subject. (Keeps you from having to jack up the ISO.) Which is a very nice thing to have, but it's not as revolutionary as say ... sliced bread or round wheels.
    G

9. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    I shoot a G5 and all my pictures are blurry.

Just kidding. If you understand the fundamentals of photography you'll be fine. A fast lens certainly helps.

10. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt
    You fix that by kicking the camera a few times right?

11. GaryAyala

GaryAyala Mu-43 Legend

Jan 2, 2011
    SoCal
    LOL ... "G5, take a lap!"

12. Dan Ka

Dan Ka Mu-43 Regular

Jan 11, 2011
    Northeastern Ohio
  13. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    IBS just can't keep up with old shakey, trembling hands. So in order to keep up my love of photography, I've had to become creative with external stabilization, ie., trees, logs, cars, anything that I can lock onto. Even a small tripod! :smile:

14. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    If you kick it just right and hard enough, you only need to kick it once to stop it from taking blurry pictures (also sharply focused ones).

15. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt
    Camera is in! Gotta say I'm glad I went with this kit from Cost Co because I LOVE this 45-150 lens!

Here's a few super quick test shots I got just before the battery died.

9097354298_5fdcb564c8_b.

9095053843_8a6414e1eb_b.

9095101889_0cb3e56332_b.

Let me know what you guys think! (All flower shots with the 45-150, cause it's shiny. Watch shot done with 20 f/1.7) :biggrin:

16. dweller

dweller Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 14, 2012
    London, UK
    That watch shot is sweet, really stands out.
    I'm enjoying the G5 45 - 150 lens combination too.

17. SilenX

SilenX Mu-43 Regular

Jun 2, 2013
    Matt
    Thanks! It's probably one of my favorite watches in my entire collection and definitely my most cherished.

Can't wait to take this puppy out for a spin when I go hiking with the gf later this weekend! :2thumbs:

18. mnhoj

mnhoj There and back again

Dec 3, 2011
    Los Angeles
    John M
    Proud G5'er here.

7.5, 45, and 75 confirmed as working well here.
    Along with the 14, 25, and 60 too.

I really like 5 axis but right now it'd cost me the G5 and a couple of my fast lenses.
    I pick the lenses.:biggrin: