Did I just kill a memory card?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by zathras, Oct 20, 2014.

1. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    Hi all

Was out shooting with my E-M1, shot a large burst, while waiting for my extremely slow 16gb memory card to clear the camera buffer, I had a play in the menus. Camera locked up, when I pressed the shutter button it rebooted however the card appears to be fried. Camera reported Write Protect then Card Error, card doesn't even show up on my Mac in Disk Utility so I can't even force a format on my Mac.

Three possibilities spring to mind:

1) Card was dodgy and just picked that moment to die on me

2) I was a moron for messing round in the menus and I deserve what happened

3) 10 mb/s write was too slow and jammed the buffer up, causing the camera to crash. Buy a faster card.

My other cards are fine, so I tossed this one. Any ideas here?

Cheers,

Chris

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    It's generally pretty difficult to kill a memory card. I would say that everything is still there, but you need a recovery program to get to the data and possibly fix the card. Unfortunately, I know nothing about Macs, so can't help with any software to suit.

3. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    It's not a problem, I don't need the data from it, and if I can't even pick up that it's connected then I think it's probably terminal. I am leaning towards the speed being too slow for the camera just annihilated it. I have ordered a Sandisk 64gb 90mb/s write speed card so that should take care of that, hopefully.

Cheers,

Chris

4. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I've had cards that have exhibited that symptom, but with Sandisk recovery software have been able to fix the issue. Only once in my time have I had a card that become unreliable to use in a camera, but useable in other applications. At least with your new card, you get the recovery software by default (just don't format the card until you've downloaded the software).

5. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    Ok thanks, will grab that when it turns up.

On another subject, I moved my Mac so I could get to the back where the SD reader is, I compared the speed of pulling images off it versus my USB 2 reader. Even on my slowpoke card, the built in reader (which is not on the USB bus) was twice as fast as the USB reader (8 vs 16 mins for 16gb). Last time I use the USB one!

6. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Many USB card readers can be way slower than advertised. Since having m4/3 cameras, I always download directly from the USB port and never remove the card for data transfer.

7. zathras

zathras Mu-43 Regular

Jul 13, 2014
    Waikato, New Zealand
    Chris Nielsen
    I only have USB 2, not sure what the camera supports. Any card reader connected to USB will be limited to the max transfer rate of USB 2. If I have a card that is capable of 90 mb/s, a card reader capable of 90 mb/s and USB that maxes out at 20 mb/s, it seems fairly obvious which one I should use. Also, if I come back with a depleted battery it's going to be better to avoid transferring using the camera as that will risk completely flattening the battery.

8. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    The camera only supports USB 2, but after using many different types of card readers, I've come to the conclusion that a direct USB connection from the camera to the computer tends (seems) to be the fastest.

• Like Like x 1
  9. fortwodriver

fortwodriver Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 15, 2013
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Frank
    I've had a few card readers over the years before I finally settled on a not-so-cheap Ultra multi card reader which turned out to be quite fast. But hey, if you've got a mac with an SD card reader, definitely use that... I only got the Ultra because I have a bunch of different card formats (for different uses) to deal with.

10. Ross the fiddler

Ross the fiddler Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If that card was only 10MB/s then it should be retired & put on display as an historical item. You should be using something like the Sandisk Extreme at 45MB/s at least. I prefer the Extreme Pro that is (up to) 95MB/s (write speed 90MB/s).

• Like Like x 1
  11. Ross the fiddler

I'll stick to to my SD card reader in the laptop thanks. That way I won't be constantly opening the sealed cover on the camera & pushing the cable into the connector that might cause some damage over time if not careful (I did stuff an E-520 connector in the dark) & if I stuff a card (not likely), then it is only a card & not a camera repair. Opening & closing the SD card door on the camera would have to be a lot cheaper to fix or replace than the other if damaged.

12. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    Swings and roundabouts, do you stuff the USB slot, or the door and connectors to the SD card? I think USB slots are pretty durable, considering that so many mobile phones, for example, rely on this connector for charging and, with smart phones especially, these are being plugged in and out daily. Mind you, I do wish that Olympus had used a proper door and not the rubber contraption, which requires the LCD to be opened partially to get to the rubber flap, but then doors can also fail.

13. Ross the fiddler

Unfortunately, the multi/USB connector on Olympus cameras aren't as definite in shape for orientation as a Mini USB connector & can be plugged in the wrong way if not careful. That's how my E520 got damaged & why I don't use that port more than I need to, especially when it is so easy & convenient to whip out the SD card & shove it in the slot in the laptop. It's a darn sight easier than getting that cable out, positioning the camera where it won't get tripped over or dragged down by a dog & doesn't use up the camera's battery power, that otherwise would need more frequent charging. I use OV3 to download the photos & the card just appears as a camera & all is done just nicely (except I have to close OV3 before removing the SD card or else it hangs).

14. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Legend

Jan 29, 2010
    Ray, not Oz
    I still prefer the USB port, especially when I'm travelling, it's a lot easier as I connect my portable HHD via my tablet.