Did I brick my GM5?

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I did something dumb (perhaps) and now my GM5 refuses to turn on.

Short video showing what happens when I turn the power dial. TL/DW: nothing happens.

The other day I got a new c-mount lens. The flange on this particular lens protrudes a bit behind the adapter mount. Without really thinking, I popped this lens on my GM5. I didn't notice any resistance, but when I went to turn the camera back on after mounting the lens, nothing happens (no lights, no sounds, just nothing). I'm thinking maybe the flange of this lens struck something in the area of the sensor that caused this issue. The GM5 has a sliding door that covers the sensor; I'm noticing a pair of dots/ indentations on this door that I don't recall seeing before (although I'm also not sure I looked that closely). There's nothing protruding from the lens flange that looks like it could have made these indentations, though. If I reach in with my fingernail I can still slide this sensor cover down manually to uncover the sensor and don't really notice any resistance in doing so.

Here's the culprit lens in its c-mount adapter:
20210726_141515.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Here's a (low quality) photo of the "dots" on the sensor cover:
20210726_141650.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

So my questions are: has this happened to anyone else? Is there any way to "reset" the camera to recover it from its current comatose state? Or do I need to reach out to Panasonic support?

Before anyone asks, I've tried multiple batteries which all indicate a full charge on my charger, so I don't think this is battery-related.

- K

Last edited:

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Keith, that 'unofficial modification' doesn't look good. It is probably preventing the sensor cover from retracting. I'm just guessing.

That's sorta what I was thinking, too. But those indentations are so perfectly formed that I just can't fathom how they would have been caused by that smooth protruding flange. And I can retract the cover manually with my fingernail.

Also, it seems like if that were the issue there would be some sort of noise (or light) indicating that it was trying to do something mechanically when I hit the power. But it's just nothing.

I'm hoping someone with a GM5 can take a look at theirs to see if the sensor cover a) closes when the lens is removed and b) has those two dots on the leaf.

My second thought was that the metal flange somehow touched the lens contacts and shorted them in some fashion. That makes some sense to me since the issue sort of presents to me as electrical.

I'm guessing that repair won't be economically rational if I have to send it in to Panasonic. And you're right about these having become tougher and tougher to find. It's a shame because this camera really came into its own for me in the last couple of weeks as the perfect compact 2nd body with the P7-14 mounted.

Really hoping against hope that someone here will have some magical solution.

- K

John King

Member of SOFA
Cameraderie.org or Beaumaris, Melbourne, Australia
Real Name
John ...
All the best with tracking down the problem.

Shorting the mount terminals doesn't seem likely, but could explain the complete and sudden death, regardless of how unlikely.

The E-PM2 could be a possible replacement, but I've waited for several years to pick one up that was a) reasonably priced, and b) in excellent condition.

These really tiny bodies are like hen's teeth!

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I've had an E-PM2 and couldn't get on with the ergonomics (basically the lack of a mode dial and the way one had to use the touchscreen for almost every setting) and lack of a viewfinder. And once you add an EVF you start to lose the size advantage.

I've had a tough transition to the GM5 just because I'm so used to Olympus controls/ menus (insert a quip about old dogs here). But I was finally using it enough recently to build some familiarity.

If it turns out this one is bricked I'll probably start the search for another GM5. In the meantime I might see if the recently acquired PEN-F that I envisioned as a potential replacement for the GM5 can actually serve that purpose.

- K

Last edited:

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
We are all so different with these things.

I thought I would have problems with the interface of the E-PM2. However, after about half an hour or so, I was fine. Same with the lack of a VF. I'm on record as saying 'never', yet I am managing pretty well.

I can understand how some would find the interface difficult.

cjoliprsf

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Claude
I'm hoping someone with a GM5 can take a look at theirs to see if the sensor cover a) closes when the lens is removed and b) has those two dots on the leaf.
Looking at my GM5 when turned off, after removing the lens I see exactly the same cover with the golden dots. However if I turn it on and remove the lens, then the cover is not there anymore.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Looking at my GM5 when turned off, after removing the lens I see exactly the same cover with the golden dots. However if I turn it on and remove the lens, then the cover is not there anymore.
Thanks, that disproves my fear that I somehow physically damaged that cover. The more/ closer I looked at it that initial suspicion didn't seem too plausible.

It's possible that mounting the c-mount lens had nothing to do with whatever happened with my GM5. It's just that the camera worked before I did it and wouldn't power on after I mounted it. Could just be coincidental, I guess, regardless of how unlikely that seems.

- K

PeeBee

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
My suspicion is shorted lens contacts. I hope you manage to get it sorted, though I fear it's unlikely to be resolved without professional assistance.

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
If you're feeling adventurous, check the error code that it (hopefully) records and interpret it using the service manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pCmblvcHQGKdfYBA9jh6XPVBcZJckzHz/view

See section 6.

It should give you a code and give you general idea about what the camera thinks is wrong. Although maybe it won't even do that since it won't turn on properly. But worth a try.

Edit: Another thing you could try is removing the bubble level if it is conductive (shortening the flash's contacts?).

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
If you're feeling adventurous, check the error code that it (hopefully) records and interpret it using the service manual: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1pCmblvcHQGKdfYBA9jh6XPVBcZJckzHz/view

See section 6.

It should give you a code and give you general idea about what the camera thinks is wrong. Although maybe it won't even do that since it won't turn on properly. But worth a try.

Edit: Another thing you could try is removing the bubble level if it is conductive (shortening the flash's contacts?).
Thanks for sharing this!

Unfortunately, the button sequence to enter Service Mode does nothing; still no power or any hint of a change. On a side note, this sequence is all but impossible to execute with only two human hands. How do they come up with these things?

Further the troubleshooting section of the service manual lacks a description of any issue that is similar to what I am experiencing.

The bubble level has a rubber shoe, and is something I've had on the camera since I've owned it, so I doubt that is the issue. Nonetheless, I've tried with it removed and also with a flash installed. No change. Still, a good thought, though.

I've also tried every other button sequence I can think of, including up, up, down, down, left, right, left, right, B, A, start. ;) All to no avail. The camera remains completely unresponsive.

I guess I'll reach out to Panasonic and see what they say. My assumption is that my only option will be to send it in. Does anyone know what their minimum service charge is?

- K

ABFoz

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Kaore au i te rite mo tera.
How's your GM5 now?

By the way, the dots are standard. Sometimes the shutter closes as a cover after not using the camera for quite a while. Cheers.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
How's your GM5 now?

By the way, the dots are standard. Sometimes the shutter closes as a cover after not using the camera for quite a while. Cheers.
Thanks for the confirmation on the dots on the shutter/ cover.

As for the camera, I haven't gotten around to doing anything with it. I've just left it in a drawer, although I've tried turning it on a couple times, hoping against hope that perhaps time has healed its wounds — spoiler: it hasn't.

Since the camera is long since out of warranty I'm not optimistic that the cost of repair will make financial sense. Just to get an estimate will cost $50 plus the cost of shipping the camera to Panasonice. But I should probably give it a shot.

- K

ABFoz

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Kaore au i te rite mo tera.
Just to get an estimate will cost $50 plus the cost of shipping the camera to Panasonice. But I should probably give it a shot.
Understood. Here, they reimburse the assessment fee if you are to proceed with the quoted repair. Maybe it's the same there? Hopefully, it's just a minor reset and not a replacement of the whole board.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Understood. Here, they reimburse the assessment fee if you are to proceed with the quoted repair. Maybe it's the same there? Hopefully, it's just a minor reset and not a replacement of the whole board.
Yeah, the assessment fee does get applied toward the eventual repair. My fear is that the repair is either impossible (e.g. due to lack of parts) or doesn't make financial sense due to the value of the camera. At $75/hr. for labor, costs add up quickly.

If that's the case, I'm then out the $65 or whatever for shipping and estimate. But, I guess I will never know that until I bite the bullet and send it off. Truth be told I've so far only gotten to denial in the seven stages of grief.

- K

Last edited:

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
Yeah, the assessment fee does get applied toward the eventual repair. My fear is that the repair is either impossible (e.g. due to lack of parts) or doesn't make financial sense due to the value of the camera. At $75/hr. for labor, costs add up quickly.

If that's the case, I'm then out the $65 or whatever for shipping and estimate. But, I guess I will never know that until I bite the bullet and send it off. Truth be told I've only so far gotten to denial in the seven stages of grief.

- K
Keith, bear in mind that the GM5, like the E-PM2, is effectively irreplaceable. Neither company make anything really comparable today.

Worth factoring this in, IMHO.

camit34

Mu-43 Regular
Just out of curiosity, have you tried a new, completely different, battery? It might just be that the battery has gone caput.

ex machina

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Just out of curiosity, have you tried a new, completely different, battery? It might just be that the battery has gone caput.
OP mentioned he tried multiple batteries -- you might also check that the contacts in the battery receptacle aren't dirty/corroded/obstructed.

Latest threads

Top Bottom