Did I brick my GM5?

camit34

Mu-43 Regular
OP mentioned he tried multiple batteries -- you might also check that the contacts in the battery receptacle aren't dirty/corroded/obstructed.
Wow, I skipped right over that... thanks for pointing it out and hopefully it gets resolved as that little camera a gem and would be a loss that would really suck...

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Just out of curiosity, have you tried a new, completely different, battery? It might just be that the battery has gone caput.
OP mentioned he tried multiple batteries -- you might also check that the contacts in the battery receptacle aren't dirty/corroded/obstructed.
Thanks for the suggestion, @camit34 , but I have tried at least three different batteries. All of these batteries were confirmed working prior to encountering the issue, but I haven't tested them independently of this camera. Still, it seems highly unlikely that all three batteries would go caput simultaneously.

I have also checked the contacts between the camera and batteries. I don't see any issue, but I also tried to gently clean the contacts both with a pencil eraser and with an alcohol swab. Unfortunately, that didn't resolve the issue.

- K

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
Was the camera powered-up when you tried to change lenses? I guess a static discharge could also be damaging to contact points.
I don't think it was powered up. I'm typically pretty careful to change lenses only with the camera turned off. That said, I can't rule the possibility out completely. Static electricity definitely seems like a plausible cause given that the issue presents as complete electrical failure.

At this point I think I've exhausted my own abilities to troubleshoot it and it also appears this is one wound that time has no intention of healing. I just need to resign myself to swallowing the $50 (plus shipping) that it will require to get a proper diagnosis and a repair estimate. The next question will be whether the cost to repair makes economic sense. My guess is that if the logic board is fried, it won't be a cheap fix.

- K

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
At this point I think I've exhausted my own abilities to troubleshoot it and it also appears this is one wound that time has no intention of healing. I just need to resign myself to swallowing the $50 (plus shipping) that it will require to get a proper diagnosis and a repair estimate. The next question will be whether the cost to repair makes economic sense. My guess is that if the logic board is fried, it won't be a cheap fix.

- K
Yeah, Keith, could be expensive. However, like the E-PM2, there has never really been a replacement.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
After finally giving up hope on the old aphorism "time heals all wounds" and working through the Seven Stages of Grief with my dead GM5, I finally sent the poor thing off to Panasonic's designated repair shop for my area a couple weeks back.

Today, I got back the estimate: US$378.03. It seems the PCB needs replacing, as someone suggested in this thread.

Just as I had feared, this number falls within the circle of confusion on the question of whether it makes sense economically. That sum is a bit less than I paid for the camera (plus a P12–32 lens) a little over 6 months back. The question now is whether I want to buy it again.

I'm leaning toward paying the invoice and getting the little jewel back, but I'm curious what you all think.

- K

John King

Member of SOFA
Real Name
John ...
After finally giving up hope on the old aphorism "time heals all wounds" and working through the Seven Stages of Grief with my dead GM5, I finally sent the poor thing off to Panasonic's designated repair shop for my area a couple weeks back.

Today, I got back the estimate: US$378.03. It seems the PCB needs replacing, as someone suggested in this thread.

Just as I had feared, this number falls within the circle of confusion on the question of whether it makes sense economically. That sum is a bit less than I paid for the camera (plus a P12–32 lens) a little over 6 months back. The question now is whether I want to buy it again.

I'm leaning toward paying the invoice and getting the little jewel back, but I'm curious what you all think.

- K
Pay for it, Keith.

There is no modern replacement, and you will effectively get a new camera back, if Panasonic service is anything like that of Olympus.

If my E-PM2 breaks, that's what I would do.

Macroramphosis

Jack of Spades and an unfeasibly large wheelbarrow
Real Name
Roddy
Imagine your GM5 was not damaged, but instead crushed under the wheels of a bus; would you weep and rush out to buy another off eBay for $378? Your answer to that should tell you what you want to know.

JensM

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
As screename
There's one on eBay at the moment in the UK at a BIN price of £300 (incl. shipping). Not sure what sort of import tax you'd have to add, but it might be worth a look. Best price I've seen lately.

- K
With the Norwegian sales tax at 25%, it ends up at about $450 adjusted for currency. Rather tempted though, but overspent as it is on gear this month.

Top tip. Much obliged. :)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom