Did Anyone See These New Olympus Accessories!?

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by ijm5012, Jan 27, 2016.

1. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    In addition to the Pen F, Olympus also announced a bunch of other stuff, most of it absolutely hideous and hilariously overpriced.

First off, we have the "Olympus CBG-11 PR Premium Leather Camera Bag". Not only does this thing cost $490, but it is HIDEOUS! Here's a link to it at B&H

Up next we have the "Olympus CS-48 PR Premium Leather Wrapping Cloth". $150 for this, and again, ugly as sin. Here's a link to it at B&H

Third we have the "Olympus CSS-S120L PR Premium Leather Shoulder Strap". While this isn't nearly as ugly as the other items, I would have preferred if it were a just the lighter brown, rather than the two-tone they've gone with. But keeping with the pricing trend, it's $120. For a leather strap. Huh? Here's a link to it at B&H

Last but not least, Olympus decided that only having two color choices available for the E-M10 II wasn't enough, so they launched the "Olympus E-M10 Mark II Limited". $900 for some brown "leather-like urethane" instead of the standard black. It comes at a $100 premium over the normal E-M10 II (not counting any sales or incentives). Here's a link to it at B&H

I mean seriously, is anybody going to actually buy this crap? Not once did I see a thread on this forum where people were clamoring for Olympus to make some hideous looking, over priced leather accessories for their cameras. How about they focus on giving us new lenses and better technology in the cameras instead.

2. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Lol, Premium Leather Wrapping Cloth", if anyone buys this, especially at $150, they should be immediately institutionalized. I mean all those accessories are overpriced but what the heck was Olympus thinking with that wrap?

3. davidzvi

davidzvi Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 12, 2012
    Outside Boston MA
    David
    Both are way over priced, no idea why they would bother with the wrap. The bag looks interesting but $490 :rofl:

Both the Wotencraft Raven and Ryker are less.

4. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    I actually don't think they look that bad (I personally would never buy them). I also see the new PEN appealing to a more (for lack of a better word) hipster type crowd, or people who are into the camera as a fashion accessory and need/require appropriate accessories for their accessory. The price is really not that out of line compared to 3rd party companies making high end leather products (this is assuming that these accessories are made of high quality leather and the manufacturing is of equally high quality).

While you may not see people asking for that on this forum, it does not mean there is a market for such things. The people that post here are a very small subset of those who buy and use µ4/3 cameras. I would also argue that most of the people here are more into the technical aspects of the equipment and photography in general. Just look at some of the advertisement that people have brought up on this forum and it is obvious who Olympus is targeting (especially in Asia) and why they have come up with these accessories.

I can also assure you that the development of these accessories in no way distracted from the development of cameras or lenses as I am sure the engineers responsible for camera/lens development are not the ones doing leather accessories. So you really have nothing to worry about.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
    Guess they will include these in "great" packetdeals, '$400 worth accessories'.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Phocal

Phocal Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 3, 2014
    What I am actually looking forward to are the things that Jamie hinted at in one of his videos. He hinted that things like hats and shirts would be available soon. Would be nice to have some Olympus gear to wear while I am out shooting.

• Like Like x 1
  7. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    While I wouldn't use the leather versions I already have two of the cheap synthetic ones, they're good for wrapping something up to shove in a normal backpack and things like that...
    Olympus CS-35 Wrapping Cloth For OM-D V601057UW000 B&H Photo

Agreed, and they should give some away for marketing :D (Canon loves to give away bags but so far I've only collected two Olympus wraps :( )

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
    I see them including these a bonuses in future with the purchase of the Pen-F... Maybe not the bag though.

I wouldn't buy this stuff - but to put things in perspective a lot of women pay big money for premium bags. $500 for a leather bag doesn't seem that bad in comparison :p

I suspect olympus are trying to improve their profit line by going the 'premium' market.

9. heli-mech

heli-mech Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 9, 2012
    Vancouver Island, Canada
    Andrew
    Not arguing whether the basic premise is good or not, its the price for what it is. The ones you linked to are $25 (still overpriced for what it is) versus $150.

10. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I like the look of them but the price is laughable. Olympus clearly has this camera and its accessories targeted at the hipster, Leica crowd. I don't know that Leica-on-a-budget really works but I wish them well.

Not sure I'm liking this recent trend toward overpriced niche products.

If the Pen F is an over-decorated, imitation Cruiser, I'm hoping the e-m1,mk2 is a street-legal. 1-liter race bike.

11. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I threw up in my mouth a little...

12. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

I dunno, as with the PEN-F I'm not sure if this is just them getting it better than me. But it seems like some real cargo cult stuff - "let's get into this veblen goods racket! that's where you make a thing really expensive!" without grasping that there's a bit more to it than that - people have to actually want the thing first. If it looked like they hadn't just gone to alibaba and branded a pre-existing brown leather collection of stuff then I'd rate their chances a bit higher.

• Agree Agree x 2
  13. MarkRyan

MarkRyan Instagram: @MRSallee

May 3, 2013
    California
    I disagree that these are ugly, they all look nice to me, but they are definitely overpriced.

• Agree Agree x 4
  14. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I think it's the black/brown leather combo. I like brown leather. I even like black leather. But to combine the two together on the same item, me no likey...

But yes, they are absurdly expensive. Especially that bag, almost $500 for a shoulder bag? Yikes...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    The bag looks similar to a ThinkTank MM20, just done in leather and horrendously priced.

16. sriracha

sriracha ballistic photons

Jan 22, 2011
    could be that Asia is the target market. that bag design (shiny leather and buckle) is a very common look for man-bags in China. also, depending on tastes in bags and income level $500 is not that crazy. there are many purses easily > 2x in price with far less functionality

i would not mind if Oly seriously entered in the mirrorless accessories market if they eventually provide some meaningful products. so many bags and straps marketed for mirrorless are clearly just shrunken down DSLR products with a new SKU. also, the designs leave much to be desired. browsing the available selection on B&H, half the bags look like big game hunting safari gear, and the remaining look like mini, reject laptop bags found in Fry's or Best Buy's bargain bin

17. Youngjun

Youngjun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 24, 2015
    USA
    Youngjun
    So Olympus is going into the fashion industry now?

18. sriracha

sriracha ballistic photons

Jan 22, 2011
    why not? selling mirrorless cameras and lenses really is not doing their financial statements any favors. camera accessories is an easy... and perhaps even larger market, for them to explore margin growth

19. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. piggsy

piggsy Mu-43 All-Pro

Bonus: it doesn't look like dog crap.