1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Did anyone ever switch from a GH1 to a GH2?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Luckypenguin, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Of all the luck...no sooner had I decided to stop messing around with too many Micro 4/3 cameras and pare my m4/3 kit down to my two favourite bodies (E-M5 and GH1), I get a dreaded memory card error message on my GH1 and a card that refuses to be ejected out the camera. The initial guesstimate to fix the camera (my preferred option) apparently might involve fitting a new main circuitboard which could be more expensive than finding another second-hand GH1 body. Of course my other option is to look at another m4/3 camera entirely but I have my doubts about replacing the GH1 with another model. Firstly, I'd want it to be a flip-screen Panasonic which limits my choices to the GH2, G3, and G5. Part of the reason that I like the GH1 so much is because of the dynamic range of the sensor, which rules out the G3 as an option. I do also quite like the multi-aspect sensor which shuffles the G5 to the bottom of the list. So that leaves just the GH2...

I'm fairly certain that GH2 has improved performance at high ISOs and doesn't suffer from the same banding that GH1 can at ISO 1600+, but I'm not really looking at low light performance since I have the E-M5 to cover that. With more megapixels the GH2 offers a bit more resolution than the GH1, but other than that I'm unconvinced that the GH2 offers at step-up in lower ISO (200-800) performance, and the bare sensor numbers from each camera even indicate that the GH2 may be in fact be a tiny step backwards.

My feeling at the moment is that I should stick with the GH1 because I've gotten to the point where I am very happy with the way that I can process the GH1 raw files to my liking, and that it gives an output that is unique compared to my other cameras. The question mark that I have is that if the GH2 sensor has a similar philosophy to the GH1 and produces similar IQ than maybe it is worth taking this opportunity to switch to a newer camera. BTW, video is not an issue for me.

Has anyone else switched from a GH1 to a GH2, and how did you find the move?

2. kinlau

kinlau Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 29, 2012
    I have both the GH1 and GH2, the GH1's pluses are better battery life and lower base iso @ 100.

The GH2 has much better high iso, and not noticing any difference at lower iso's. I like the quick menu at the back instead of the top and touch screen for handling. The lack of iso 100 is a bummer, iso 160 is the lowest.

My main use for the GH2 is video with the ETC feature, but I do use the GH2 extensively when traveling, IQ is as good as anything else I have.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I switched from GH1 to GH2 and didn't note any drawbacks. The main advantage from my standpoint was a lack of banding in pushed shadows.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Thanks, that's good info. I think that ultimately I'm not going to know for sure until I've tried one for myself, but the price of entry is higher compared to the GH1. The thing is that I really had the GH1 where I liked it so maybe I should just stick with what I know. I'm going to have to think on this one for a bit...

5. Eutexian

Eutexian New to Mu-43

Feb 9, 2012
    My take on 'new' cameras is and has always been - does the 'newer' camera render my older one obsolete. The answer thus far has been a resounding NO. Incremental improvements are all well and good but does the cost justify the improvement. Again I have to say NO. Obviously a time will come when the answer has to be YES. and thats when I'll update. Or.. when my older camera finally gives up the ghost. But - right now if that were to happen to me, I would likely just get another GH1. It really is a lovely gadget.

• Like Like x 1
  6. meyerweb

meyerweb Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 5, 2011
    I had a GH1 only briefly, but here are my thoughts:

If I had a fully working GH1, I probably wouldn't pay the difference to upgrade to a GH2 unless I shot mostly at high ISO. The GH2 is noticeably better there.

But if I had to buy another camera now, and was going to choose between a GH1 and GH2, I couldn't justify the GH1. The GH2 is better in pretty much in every respect. Prices on new GH2s have plummeted, so I expect prices on used ones have, or soon will, do the same.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Some good news! I picked up my GH1 from the repair shop after saying no to their $473 quote for repair. I figured the only option left was to employ some bush mechanics and remove the memory card with a pair of pliers. It turned out that the lock tab on the SD card was damaged and had gotten hung up inside the slot. This prevented it from ejecting and was the cause of the memory card error message. The card slot hasn't escaped completely undamaged from the ordeal but it will allow cards to be inserted and will read and write to them without error. The only issue now is that ejecting a card is a bit difficult. I figure that I'll just leave the card in the camera and transfer by cable only to avoid further mechanical damage. I don't know if there is a finite amount of time that the camera will keep working in this condition, but for as long as it continues to save those beautiful RW2 files I'm happy.