Did Adobe send you a Scary Letter yet?

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
They certainly have a way about them, don't they? Hard to think of a more inept organization. Every time they attempt to "communicate" with the customer, they screw it up.

Thankfully :) they have changed the names of the Lightroom apps yet again today. And the yesterday-current version of LR Classic CC's icon wouldn't launch the newly-renamed app: you have to drag the new icon into the dock and delete the Classic CC one. I figured that out when I tried to launch from the old icon and was notified that couldn't launch.

Real Name
Denny
I think Adobe users should get one of those ambulance chaser lawyer firms that advertises on TV to initiate their own class action lawsuit and sue the pants off Adobe for not disclosing this possibility at the time of sale. Sort of like the people who purchase some prescription medicine that is later found to be defective in some manner. I can just see the TV add now. "If you or some member of your family has subscribed to Adobe products you too may be entitled to substantial financial compensation." Purchase of any subscription is no guarantee that the purchaser will stop using the existing version when future versions become available. Another reason I do not go with subscription software.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Glad I am testing Photo Mechanic 6 DAM beta with Luminar Flex. Always have Plan B waiting in the wings. You never know.

D7k1

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Happens in other software all the time. Vegas PRO ships with plugins that only run on the version it ships with. Yes, I have a copy of On1 as a fail safe but you should always have a backup.

Jeffcs

Mu-43 All-Pro
Gezzeezs i kept and continue to use PS6 alongside PSCC hope adobe can’t figure out how to mess with my purchased PS6

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
I'm having a hard time understanding why, having paid for the subscription, one would not keep the installation up to date, thus avoiding this particular problem altogether. This seems to me like an edge case about which most of us have little to worry.

speedy

Mu-43 Hall of Famer

pake

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Teemu
I'm having a hard time understanding why, having paid for the subscription, one would not keep the installation up to date, thus avoiding this particular problem altogether. This seems to me like an edge case about which most of us have little to worry.
Well... Are you using Adobe products? If you are, you should be very aware by now that their latest versions are full of bugs. As a PAYING customer I'm not willing to be a beta tester for their incomplete software so I always stay behind a version (or two). Which reminds me I should make a snapshot of my Windows drive next weekend and try to update my Photoshop. Last time I had to revert back and haven't tried updating again since December(?).

Wisertime

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Steve
Wow, "we will no longer pay to license elements of our software and are being sued by third parties, therefore you will be required to update adobe software and we now will charge you double for that privilege" So sorry. What a clusterF*ck.

Adobe should go to a model more like Davinci resolve. Give the basic software for free and offer premium levels of software (or service...which I hate, but that's what they would do). Let amateurs try and learn the complicated software and chose to pay for more advanced features.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Man, it feels like their strategic business plan includes circling the drain, and they are doing everything they can to get there.
You've seen their quarterly and annual business results, right?

They're nowhere near circling the drain...

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
This is just one of the many reasons why I gave Adobe the big middle finger when they announced the end of the perpetual license structure. I still have and use LR6 for panoramic stitching and HDR merging, but for everything else I'm using DXO PL2 and Exposure X4.

WT21

Super Moderator
You've seen their quarterly and annual business results, right?

They're nowhere near circling the drain...
Yes, succeeding in spite of themselves.

Not that they are circling the drain, but they seem to have it in their business plan, and are trying hard to get there.

ijm5012

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Ian
Yes, succeeding in spite of themselves.

Not that they are circling the drain, but they seem to have it in their business plan, and are trying hard to get there.
To the general consumer, their business model sucks. That's why I voted with my dollar, and decided to stop purchasing Adobe products when they went subscription-only (I'll still use LR6 for the occasional task here or there, mainly Pano-stitching or HDR-merging).

The "problem" is that there are so many people out there with these gigantic catalogs of images that've set their workflow up around Adobe products (LR, PS, Bridge, AE, Premier, etc.), that they feel they can't move away those products. From a business perspective, Adobe is simply exploiting the perceived high switching costs that many users believe to exist, thus keeping them within the Adobe ecosystem.

For Adobe, it's great. They have a captured user-base that feels as if they can't leave the existing eco-system, and Adobe gets a guaranteed revenue stream from them. It's a great business model, which is why Adobe is doing so well. Sure, they pissed of the vocal minority when they made the switch, but the financial don't lie: The business model is working very, very well for them.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom