1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dicapac WP-S5 with Panasonic GH2

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by Boatman, Feb 20, 2014.

1. I will be leaving in four weeks for a vacation in southwest Florida. Considering that we will be doing a lot of water activities, I decided to look into waterproofing solutions for my Panasonic GH2.

I liked the looks of the Dicapac water proof enclosures. I read through the Dicapac material and the WP-S5 is recommended for the GH2. The alternative would be the WP-S3, which is somewhat smaller. I ordered the WP-S5.

My impression of the device is not so good. It seems waterproof enough; in fact it is quite a chore to get the camera into the bag, through all the seals. With the rather long 14-140 lens on the GH2, the camera has to be put in sideways then turned to put the lens into the lens protrusion. Once in place, the camera seems too small for the bag and is quite lose in there. The rear panel can be seen clearly and the shutter can be operated, but that is about the extent of the controls that can be used. The zoom ring on the lens does not work well, even with the little finger ports provided, and the lens protrusion is not long enough for more than a slight extension of the lens anyway. The only way to really use the zoom would be to remove the front lens cover of the lens protrusion and shoot out of the bag, which of course, eliminates any waterproofing.

Overall, I’m not impressed with the device and I've returned it to the seller. I think a good waterproof bag in which to store the camera and using the camera carefully without waterproofing is a more practical solution.

• Like Like x 1
  2. shockwave

shockwave New to Mu-43

May 7, 2013
    Do you think the WP-S3 would have been a better fit? I'm looking at picking one up for a G3. The Dicapac site recommends the S5 but I have a feeling the S3 would be a better fit. I'm probably going to use it with the Panasonic 20mm lens so I won't need to zoom.

3. yakky

yakky Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    I bought one for my GF3, had similar feelings. I'd rather just keep it in a ziplock and pull out when needed.