1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

DiCAPac for E-PM1

Discussion in 'Accessories' started by nuclearboy, Feb 13, 2015.

1. nuclearboy

nuclearboy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    I wanted to get some advice on taking some photos snorkeling and on the beach for an upcoming vacation. I have the E-P5 which I will take on the trip but it is not going into any harsh environments. I am looking at waterproof cameras and after shopping for a while I started thinking about using a DiCAPac bag with an older m43 body and probably my 20mm lens.

I have used a DiCAPac in the past with a point and shoot and it was flawless on several trips. They do keep the camera dry. I can get one for about $40 bucks and I can get a used E-PM1 body for around $90. Now all I need is a lens that I will put at a minor risk under water and I am good to go. I will likely use the 20mm for this.

My question relates to the size of the bag I will need. Has anyone used DiCAPac products with an E-PM1 or E-PM2 and if so what bag size worked well for you with which lens. Any experience or advice is welcome. I have already counceled myself that the whole idea of putting my camera in a bag to go in the water is stupid but I have done it in the past with point and shoots and it worked fine.

The reason for going this route is that I can have a much nicer lens and IQ than what I might get with an Olympus Tough or something like that. Also, if I do buy another cheap body for this (like an E-PM1), I could use it for other purposes (like letting my daughter use it instead of my E-P5).

• Like Like x 1
  2. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I purchased the DiCAPac WPH10 a few years ago to try getting photos in the surf. It fits my GF1 with the 20mm nicely - no need to remove the lens to put the camera in the bag. With the 14-45mm, I have to remove the lens, insert the camera body into the bag, and re-attach the lens through the lens port on the bag. It does keep the camera dry, but I found that water droplets on the glass over the lens obscured the camera's view too much to be very useful for my purposes. Underwater shots with the lens fully submerged might yield better results.

• Like Like x 1
  3. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, you could try Rain-X or similar; it should cause the larger drops to run off.

Barry

• Like Like x 1
  4. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    JudyM, Thanks for the tip on the bag type and lens fitting. Thats what I was looking for since I was going to buy one online without test fitting it first.

Barry13, I agree with the droplet problem. I was thinking mostly for snorkeling / underwater shots. When I have used this in the past with point and shoots, the droplets were definitely a problem.

5. eteless

eteless Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 20, 2014
    Rain-x is generally a bad idea as it can cause rainbow/flaring artifacts (it's actually a type of silicone oil, when you polish it off you leave a very fine network of 'scratches' in the surface it forms and they reflect light). It will work and if it doesn't cause these issues for you go for it, however I would try less permanent options first.

I generally spit on it or use a detergent that acts as a surfactant, liquid washing detergent for doing dishes or baby shampoo work well enough. Apply it when they're dry (no water), coat the surface, rinse it off and go do whatever.

• Like Like x 1
  6. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    I'll have to give the detergent a try. I still have the DiCAPac and would like to see what kinds of uses I can put it to. Thanks for the suggestion.

7. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    Assuming no operator error in sealing, what is the water leakage risk with these?

--Ken

8. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    I assume they may eventually get old and leak but mine never did for the two years that I used it (off an on).

The operator error is the biggest issue of course. If you are like me, you will find some reason to need to open the bag when you just come out of the water (still dripping wet). and a few drops will get in the bag. For this reason, I always put a little tissue, paper towel, cloth, or something in the bag to absorb any small intrusions. I ultimately lost the lens covering for mine and need a new one. I have only used them for cheap point and shoots up to this time.

• Like Like x 1
  9. JudyM

JudyM Mu-43 All-Pro

May 5, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    If you follow the directions, they seal very well. I've never had any water leakage in mine. I put a paper towel in the bottom of the bag just in case, and dry the outside of the bag with a towel before opening it. The camera has always stayed dry.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Replytoken

Replytoken Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 7, 2012
    Puget Sound
    Ken
    So I guess that my follow-up questions would be - is diCAPac the best of the bunch for these types of bags?

--Ken

11. nuclearboy

Jan 28, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    Chris
    I am not sure about that. They have been around for several years and seemed to have a decent web page explaining sizes, etc. I can only say that the one I purchased about 4 years ago did work well during the several trips that I used it.

The problems with these, and other bags I guess, is operating the controls and keeping the camera aligned. For instance the switch on/off of the E-P5 would be difficult to operate through the bag. The push button on/off cameras would be better. Small cameras also can shift and you need to have them aligned with the glass cover on the bag to work well. This can be a small annoyance when using them. A fixed lens in a properly sized bag would likely work better than the small camera with power zoom that I was using at the time.

• Like Like x 1