1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Dial fell off from E-M5, and eyepiece fell off. What to do?

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by memzinla, Oct 3, 2014.

1. memzinla

memzinla Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I currently have an Olympus OM-D E-M5 and it works perfectly, but when I was in Mexico things happened to it. haha. When I went out to dance the eyepiece fell off, and broke part of what holds it in place. Something else happened because of it because of super right spaces. I was in the bus, and there was no space to move. When I got off the bus I noticed the dial from the top fell off. Everything in the camera works perfectly, it's just cosmetic blemishes. I don't really use the viewfinder in the E-M5. I feel like the $165 flat rate is cheap to repair a camera if it was something big, but everything works perfectly on my E-M5. If I send it in, would they do anything else? Would they send a new one, or only when it's something big? What other options do I have to make it look new? I'm trying to sell it, or downsize to an E-PM2 as money issues came up. I would like the extra money.

Here is an image to show what it looks like now:
    1htb0w.

2. Johnny_Alucard

Johnny_Alucard Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 28, 2013
    The same 2 parts fell off of mine. I no longer own it - I found it pretty poorly built compared to the GH4 I have now.

• Like Like x 1
  3. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    How do you like the GH4 compared to the E-M5?

4. Johnny_Alucard

Johnny_Alucard Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 28, 2013
    I'll be honest, I miss the Oly IBIS. But I have a pretty steady hand, and I think that Panny OIS works well, but when shooting with non-OIS lenses I do find myself wishing the GH4 had IBIS. That said, I prefer the GH4 in just about every other way. Ergonomically I'd say it's my favourite digital camera of all that I've ever owned.

5. 350duser

350duser Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 26, 2012
    Brisbane, QLD
    have had both of those happen to me.

Leave the eye-piece off. don't need it.

If you have the dial just stick it back with glue only in the center. If you have lost it see if Olympus can send a replacement.

6. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    Hawaii
    Stephen
    The eyepiece for the E-M10 is better (deeper) and will fit your camera.
    Available online for about $15, I think - maybe less.

7. silver92b

silver92b Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 7, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Glue is your friend. I lost the eye piece like that but glued it back on and it's fine now. I suppose that the dial could be glued back on quite easily and will stay secure. Just use very small amounts of super glue and be careful when applying. You should be fine.

No need to throw away your camera or replace it with a GH4 or whatever. The Olympus E-M5 is a great camera and a few minor issues should not cause you to abandon it. The Pannys are good cameras, but you might miss the IBIS a lot! I also had the GX7 which was a fun camera, but I sold it and kept the E-M5. Now I have the E-M1 but I'm still attached to the E-M5.....

8. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Adding glue or extra friction to keep a replacement eye piece on works very well in my experience, but unfortunately because one of the two mounting supports on the body has actually snapped, I'm not sure how well that would work... Sending it in for repair might be a reasonable offer if you really need the eye piece, since they will almost certainly have to replace the whole plastic part around the EVF given that it's actually broken rather than just a missing part.

9. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    $165 is extortionate. Have you argued the case that the camera is too fragile. Suggest a free of charge repair and you won't publicise the affair any further.
    I can't imagine a modern digital camera performing in a war zone for long. It's just as well Leica was up to the challenge, otherwise we wouldn't have a record of WW2. Imagine if digital had been invented 70 odd years ago!

• Like Like x 1
  10. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    Hmm. I did send a repair question three days ago, and haven't heard back. :/

Thank you very much for the replies. :D

I tried to send in another email and get this:

ADODB.Command error '800a0d5d'

Application uses a value of the wrong type for the current operation.

/cpg_section/cpg_productquestions.asp, line 763

11. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Excellent customer relations! (Invert that and you're getting close.)
    Don't you wish companies like this employed humans to answer, and not equipment on a binary diet!

• Like Like x 2
  12. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I sent another one, and it worked this time. I got a reply, but nothing I didn't know.

Dear Guillermo Moreno,

Thank you for contacting Olympus Digital Technical Support with your inquiry.

All Olympus products are designed to provide many years of use. Please accept our apology for any inconvenience this may have caused.

We would suggest to send the product in for an evaluation. The service center should be able to correct this matter.

If the product is out of the 12 months warranty period the repair price is $165.85 (plus tax and shipping) and our repair service will bring your product back to full working condition. We will also provide basic maintenance for the unit, making any adjustments, calibrations; software upgrades (if applicable) and will clean the unit as needed. Your repaired product is then backed by our six-month service warranty.

The quote is based on a flat rate system that covers the cost of parts if needed and the time needed to repair the product. The repair quote is based on the typical time and parts needed to service the unit back to full operating condition. It is a set fee and will not increase if more than the typical time is required to make the repair. The estimate must be approved by you to proceed with repair. However, we do need to evaluate the unit to access the rate for your model. Shipment back to you is included in the repair quote.

The average turn around time for repair is 7-14 business days once the camera is received, but a lot of times this is completed faster.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    The standard repair cost is a winner for some, eg if a club hammer came to impact the camera (lol) but for others, like you possibly, it's probably considered disproportionate. Costs based on actual repairs carried out would be more fair.
    I like the opening remark from Olympus 'our products are designed to provide many years of use'. How long do they imagine 'many' to be - I've no idea, but to add balance, you did say the damage was due to adverse use, dancing and being on a packed bus, if indeed that's adverse.
    Watching the 2nd hand values fall, it makes me wonder whether the OMD Is a throw away item, just like a toaster that stops working 18 months from the date of purchase.

14. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    We really need to band together and send something to Olympus about this. Cracked LCD bezels, dials and eyecups that fall off, etc, etc...ridiculous for a $1,000 body (I realize they're cheaper now, but that's what many of us paid for them). And then you have to pay an insane price for them to fix something that shouldn't be broken in the first place.

As for the eyecup...don't get the original replacement, they're garbage...get one of these:

https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=60862

The dial fell off on me when I was in Belgium, but thankfully I found it in my bag, so I could salvage it. I just glued the TAPERED EDGES (not the top) with super glue and it's been working perfectly since then.

Good luck!

15. TimmerWeb

TimmerWeb Mu-43 Rookie

May 29, 2012
    My main dial knob fell off too and I've lost it. :( Has anyone found anyone online selling this part?

-Tim

16. memzinla

Oct 31, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    I didn't find it. :(

17. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Probably a hard-to-come-by part...I was in Tokyo in a very popular shop (that I would assume would have rather easy access to parts) and they had 5 used E-M5s for sale. Four were missing the dial knob.

I'm sorry for all you guys who have lost it...it's a one-minute fix with a 10 cent part that's going to cost you nearly $200 for Olympus to do...

18. pellicle

pellicle Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 10, 2010
    Southport, OzTrailEYa
    pellicle
    .asp

Uhgg