DG Summilux 15 f1.7 : filter attachment

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Ricoh, Mar 4, 2015.

1. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Hi guys,
    Is there anything I need to consider when selecting a filter to ensure it doesn't obstruct the lens hood? I thought I read somewhere that only slim filters work if you want to attach the hood. I'm sure the designers gave it thought, but a web search doesn't help. Searched this forum too, but can't find anything relevant.

Hope someone can help.
    Cheers,
    Steve.

2. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hi Steve - how are you enjoying the 15? Did you have the Oly 17/1.8 before?

3. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Hi Paul, it's on order, along with the GM5 I've ordered. Delivery next week, maybe Monday with luck.
    I still have the 17/1.8 and may offload it. The thing I like particularly about the 15/1.7 is the aperture control on the lens, in AV, just the EV compensation to play around with using the rear wheel. Well, of course, there's ISO, but I'm sure I'll sort that using the multi function dial on the GM5.
    There's nothing like a new toy! :)

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Looking at mine, the hood would only block something wider like a step ring. The hood fits closely around the diameter of the filter. The filter depth would not be limited by the hood. I tried a regular b+w uv filter and there was no problem with hood and plenty of room.

• Like Like x 1
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    The GM5 is lovely. I'm sure with the 15, it'll be a great travel camera.

Regarding the aperture ring - I wish Oly would do this. I played with an XT1 and really liked the old-school two dials approach.

6. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

My only complaint with the aperture ring is that it is really easy to spin on accident while mounting the lens. I had my camera set at aperture priority to f2, swapped to the 15mm, bumped it to F11 and then guess what my next 10 pictures got taken at? Not f2!

I tend to leave it at A and my GX7 has two dials on the body anyway, so I don't really need it. If ALL my lenses had it, I would probably invest the time to get in the habit of using it always.

7. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Yes it's one of those take anywhere any everywhere cameras. I
    Agree Paul, Oly could start by enabling their current line of camera bodies to read Panasonic lenses equipped - communication between body and lens is obviously there already, could be a firmware update to go the extra mile.

8. zensu

zensu An Old Fool

Aug 8, 2012
    Southeastern USA
    Bobby
    Same here. Have a regular (non-slim) B+W UV Nano filter and there is no problem with or without the hood. I just leave the hood on this lens as it's so small and thankfully this hood comes with a matching cap for the front of the hood. I wish all hoods came with front caps. I also wish Olympus would upgrade their firmware (if possible) to allow us Panny fans to use our aperture rings. And to be fair I wish Panny would update their cameras to let us Oly fans to use the lens function button on the Pro series of Oly lenses. Okay I'm done complaining!
    Bobby

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ricoh

Ricoh Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 2, 2013
    UK
    Steve
    Helpful, thank you zensu (Bobby).